Pier Solar - Review @ Hardcore Gamer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Hardcore Gamer the first review I can find for the recently released JRPG Pier Solar HD on Steam, and they awarded the game a final score of 4/5.

Pier Solar HD is a testament to sound game design. Moreover, it’s a delightful throwback title that manages to integrate new-age conventions with those that defined a bygone era of gaming so close to many folks’ hearts. With some of the strongest storytelling in its genre, now or in the past, a deep combat system and a top-notch presentation, Pier Solar HD is at the head of its class, easily sitting alongside some of the most cherished classics of its kind. It does have some flaws, though, namely its seeming disinterest in ever providing any real guidance to players, leaving them confused and wandering for longer than necessary. Even with this issue, though, the game could easily be sold at full price and still be worth every penny. It may have taken WaterMelon a while to finally give us this gem, but it was worth the wait. If you’re looking for a memorable, old-school RPG, buy Pier Solar HD. There’s no other way to say it.
More information.

It's OK, though I think the Lunar games are clearly superior. It does have a few nice innovations, like air and land enemies.

The backgrounds however are very confusing, and it's hard to tell apart what you can cross and what you can't.

Lunar games ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_(series)#Lunar:_Silver_Star_Story_Complete

Games on PSOne. Only Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar Eternal Blue are worthwhile though, along with the first Grandia on PSOne and maybe Grandia 2 on Dreamcast, ignore all the later ones. Many of the best employees had left the studio by then, and I think recently the creator of Grandia tragically passed away at a young age.

Pier Solar is clearly an homage to these games from the Japanese studio Game Arts: a lighthearted adventure about a group of young friends about the coming of age of a young male hero.

Oh but they aren't relevant to pc gamers :)
-
There ahs been some recent very good ps3/ps4 rpg but alas i only care about pc games.

Well there was a PC version of Grandia 2, but it wasn't very good.

I downloaded the Steam demo but with Wasteland 2, I haven't had a chance to try it.

I used to like JRPGs (not as much as Western ones, but still enjoyed them) but not ones made in the last 10-15 years. This looks like more of the older style though. I like that there is a demo to let me give it a shot though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lunar_(series)#Lunar:_Silver_Star_Story_Complete

Games on PSOne. Only Lunar Silver Star Story and Lunar Eternal Blue are worthwhile though, along with the first Grandia on PSOne and maybe Grandia 2 on Dreamcast, ignore all the later ones. Many of the best employees had left the studio by then, and I think recently the creator of Grandia tragically passed away at a young age.

Pier Solar is clearly an homage to these games from the Japanese studio Game Arts: a lighthearted adventure about a group of young friends about the coming of age of a young male hero.

Actually Grandia 3 was really good and was one of the few jrpgs I have finished.

Actually Grandia 3 was really good and was one of the few jrpgs I have finished.

For the combat system probably. For the story and characters though, I really don't think so. These games progressively started to lose their charm.

I downloaded the Steam demo but with Wasteland 2, I haven't had a chance to try it.

Thanks for mentioning that. I wasn't aware that there's a demo. :)

It doesn't look like my type of RPG, but I'm gonna give it a quick try anyways.

Back
Top Bottom