Lords of Xulima - New Content Unlocked

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
The next post-funding update for Lords of Xulima has information about some new content that has been unlocked for the game. It seems to be about Titans.

The Titans Chapter

Greetings!

The four colossal Titans known as the Sons of the Elemental Xulnari, have their lair in the most remote places of Xulima. Finding them is just impossible for the mortals, unless you can count on some divine help... For those lucky players that find them, enjoy interacting with those powerful Demigods that have not met a mortal ever.

Now all the world is accessible for the player, including the Glacier of Geldra, the Desolation Desert of Pernitia and the Lake of Fire in Vilak. Also, the four temples of the Elementals Xulnari can be played now. In some of them, you will find new monsters as "The Nightmare" which is one of the most powerful enemies you will find.

Game already Finished?

We have unlocked about 15-20 hours more of gameplay. Indeed, 99.9% of the full game is now playable. Everything except the very end, that includes the Final Boss and the awesome End Cinematic that lasts 8 minutes, at which only a dozen lucky people have had the chance to watch it. We will reserve the climax of this epic story for the official release of Lords of Xulima in November. While you can speculate about the end, what will happen with Xulima and the rest of the world?...

The New Ironman difficulty mode

Many fans of LoX have requested this new difficulty mode. The Ironman mode has the same rules as the Hardcore mode, but you can only save the game when you are safe in the towns. So yes, this mode can be a real nightmare, such a challenge that perhaps nobody can ever finish it. For those heroics players we have created a new special achievement and the final score is now re-scaled as the Ironman mode grants a score, 300% more than in normal mode. We have added new monsters for the final rank, which now has 100 different positions.

Which will be yours?

• Normal Mode: Ranks from 1-50.
  • Old-School Veteran: Ranks from 50-70.
  • Hardcore: Ranks from 70-90
  • Ironman Mode: Up to rank ~100.
New Feature: Write your own notes on the Maps!

Another feature requested by the fans is writing their own notes on the maps. Finally, it has been implemented. It was a little hard to add, but we love that feature too. Also, these custom notes can be consulted directly in the Journal with the rest of auto-notes that the game records for you. Hope you enjoy it!

Next Update: The next update will have finally the Talisman of Golot we promised in Kickstarter, the French translation and perhaps the German one too. See you soon!
More information.

Cool stuff. I am also curious about what the quality of the translation will be.
Especially after the horrible translation in Wasteland 2. Of course they have much, much less text in this game, but they also didn't get millions via kickstarter. ;)

Cool stuff. I am also curious about what the quality of the translation will be.
Especially after the horrible translation in Wasteland 2. Of course they have much, much less text in this game, but they also didn't get millions via kickstarter. ;)

Why do you prefer to play games in german when ypur English is so good? No games except childrens' and sports games are translated into swedish, and if they were I would still pick the original language…

Full release in November. I couldn't play all the good games out and coming out if it were my full time job.

Wasn't there a thread recently about gaming going downhill or something? Man, I can't remember when it was any better than now.

Anyway another day 1 purchase. Would do early access but as I said too many games.

Why do you prefer to play games in german when ypur English is so good? No games except childrens' and sports games are translated into swedish, and if they were I would still pick the original language…

The answer is a complicated one. ^^

In Germany (and probably also France) the Situation is extremely different. Almost all Movies and Games are translated. Of course translations normally don't meet 100% of the original quality, but it's close. In some rare cases I'd probably even prefer a translated movie over a original one. Bill & Teds excellent adventure for example added words into the German language (Hoschi!).
Fun thing is, that Swedish Movies/Series also get translated to German while the English people rather do a remake with english actors (e.g.: Bron/Broen).

Now in the case of Xulima the original Language is actually spanish.
So whether I play it in english or in german - both is a translation.
There is only voice acting in the English version though (not even in the original spanish one).

While I mostly watch movies/Series in English, in Games this is a different story.
Until a year ago I also played most stuff in English, but as I am doing recordings now where I comment in German I think it's better to also play the German version.
Not just because I have to cringe when listening myself reading english texts, but also because people who watch it, might actually watch it because they don't understand English very well. So as long as the translation is acceptable I will use it where I can.
In Wasteland 2 however I decided that's not worth it to play it in German. It was just bad.

And now I have to rewatch the original "All your Base are Belong to Us" Video ;)

Uber excited about this as well. I'm in a Bethesda game, which are like crack to me, but as soon as I get out of FNV, I'll go to Xulima.

I'm starting to come around on this one.

It does look inspired by the old classics in a good way. Turn based combat can be fun or very boring. Off to some gameplay vids.

Sounds like there's really no reason to wait for the final release. I won't be able to finish it before that day anyway. You think I might as well start playing it right away?

I'm being tempted to get this even though I haven't finished any of the games I have wanted to finish due to getting distracted by others all the time ...

Now I'm playing Age of Empires 2 HD instead of finishing my G2 + Notr replay (Chapter 4)

I still have to play Risen (which I only dabbled with) too.

Too many games !!!!!
Not enough time.

Sounds like there's really no reason to wait for the final release. I won't be able to finish it before that day anyway. You think I might as well start playing it right away?

Really depends on what type of player you are.

I want to play it how "it is meant to be played" and will wait for the full release until I do a playthrough. But my focus is the challenge in the game - and this is highly dependent on how the balancing is adjusted till release.

I guess if you focus on exploration and story, you could also play it right now.

The answer is a complicated one. ^^

In Germany (and probably also France) the Situation is extremely different. Almost all Movies and Games are translated. Of course translations normally don't meet 100% of the original quality, but it's close. In some rare cases I'd probably even prefer a translated movie over a original one. Bill & Teds excellent adventure for example added words into the German language (Hoschi!).
Fun thing is, that Swedish Movies/Series also get translated to German while the English people rather do a remake with english actors (e.g.: Bron/Broen).

Now in the case of Xulima the original Language is actually spanish.
So whether I play it in english or in german - both is a translation.
There is only voice acting in the English version though (not even in the original spanish one).

While I mostly watch movies/Series in English, in Games this is a different story.
Until a year ago I also played most stuff in English, but as I am doing recordings now where I comment in German I think it's better to also play the German version.
Not just because I have to cringe when listening myself reading english texts, but also because people who watch it, might actually watch it because they don't understand English very well. So as long as the translation is acceptable I will use it where I can.
In Wasteland 2 however I decided that's not worth it to play it in German. It was just bad.

And now I have to rewatch the original "All your Base are Belong to Us" Video ;)

Thanks for the explanation Kordanor! I'm well aware of the fact that most central European countries translate movies and other media, I believe that's the major reason why scandinavians are generally more proficient in english (especially spoken) than people from Germany, France and Spain etc. But I also know alot of Germans who prefer their media in the original language, people like you who are very proficient in English. I forgot the fact that Xulima is originally in Spanish, then off course there is no reason to play or in English if the German translation is just as good or better. And I totally understand why you would want to play in German of you're doing reviews or let's plays for a German audience, that makes perfect sense.

On topic: I have to agree with Pladio, the gaming year of 2014 is the best in a very long time, maybe the best ever in my opinion. Maybe that's why I'm not quote add impressed with Xulima as I would hand been as late as last year. Still a good game, but in my opinion not even close to games like MMX, Shadowrun Dragonfall, WL2 or D:OS, all released this year.

On topic: I have to agree with Pladio, the gaming year of 2014 is the best in a very long time, maybe the best ever in my opinion. Maybe that's why I'm not quote add impressed with Xulima as I would hand been as late as last year. Still a good game, but in my opinion not even close to games like MMX, Shadowrun Dragonfall, WL2 or D:OS, all released this year.

Having played and finished all these games on hardest difficulty excluding Xulima where I only saw the beginning but "studied" the systems including late game, I agree if you are talking about the RP in RPG.

In this regards Xulima is probably somewhat similar as grimrock 1, which mostly shined by having great riddles. Not so much by Decisions, influencing story or story at all.

Imho the focus in Xulima is heavily on combat - and on resource management. And this is pushed to the limit in terms of possible difficulty. Up to a point where the Developers in the current update mentioned "So yes, this mode can be a real nightmare, such a challenge that perhaps nobody can ever finish it. "

I think if you are "into" that kind of stuff, Xulima might be the most interesting game until now for this year.

Might and Magic X was somewhat tough in the first hours, but if you knew what you were doing it became easier quite fast until the last quarter of the game was boring grind without any challenge. The Character system wasn't really well done (and was explained even worse) and allowed the player an easy way to make overpowered characters. Was still a great game. But not much of a challenge.

Divinity Original Sin: Quite similar. Though the system was explained better and the combats were more interesting because if you didn't watch out you could actually die. But it was quite easy as well if you paid some attention, combats just took long. The "free class system" was mostly fake as each class had a stat representing itself. Speed was a shared attribute but thats it. Building hybrids wasn't a good idea. Not much "actual" choice in character development.

Wasteland 2: Horrible Character System, which was explained even worse. Extremely easy to gimp your character and also quite easy to max out everything. Almost no actual character development if you "do it right" in "resource management" terms. (ofc for RP sake you might want to gimp your character if you do such things).
It's tactical level consisted of finding a starting position and then shot with one Ranger after the other until everone was dead. If the start is good (and your characters are designed well), the fight is almost already won. I had one fight which took about an hour to solve. There were maybe 3 or 4 others I had to try a couple of times. And thats it. Hardest difficulty of course.

Shadowrun…well it's a very short game in comparison and doesn't focus much on character development, which also isn't a very good one (at least not fot the PC game). But combats arent hard as well. Doesn't matter too much what you do there.

Now there is Xulima. Xulima has lots of different classes, lots of them with completely individual benefits. And each class can be developed in a couple individual ways, dependent on your playstile and on the constellation of your party. Most of the attributes as usefull for all classes, they also allow different playstyles. The Attributes, the Skills the Combat itself, everything invites you to try to get it as perfect as possible, as there is neither unlimited XP nor unlimited Gold in the game. So if you decline to lower the difficulty in a playthrough (which you cant rise again) you might actually get stuck by bad "resource management". I can't really judge how hard later parts of the games get on the hardest difficulty, but I am pretty sure that it will be much more of a challenge than any of the other games.

The only game which might surpass that is also coming out laters this year:
Avernum 2. Avernum 1 was one of the hardest games I played yet, put 159h in that thing. Sometimes sitting on a fight for several hours until I was lucky+ found the right tactics. Avadon 2 didn't reach that level unfortunately as the Tinkerer class was quite unbalanced, but I am quite confident that Avernum 2 might again combine the best of both worlds: Tons of real "role play", and hardcore combats, including at least a decent character system.

Back
Top Bottom