Dragon Age 2 - 103m of Cut Scenes

Speaking of which: People running a business wanting to make money - that's an entirely new concept. It didn't actually exist back in the days. Publishers 10 years ago were idealists who released games just to make people happy…

Obviously they want to make money. The point is whether they have to focus on that aspect as much as they're doing.

In my opinion, there's a difference between wanting to make money doing great things - and wanting to make money by satisfying the needs of the largest possible audience to maximise profit. In my opinion, those two things are rarely the same. I think many developers are being controlled by the financial restrictions, and I think they're being held back creatively. I could be wrong, and I know a lot of them are just looking at game development as a job. Bioware, it seems to me, used to be about innovation and taking things forward in gameplay and design terms. That's why I think it's sad.

However, I'm sorry if my opinion is having a negative affect on you. I'm sure it seems I'm a negative person when I bitch - but I'm actually not. I just care a lot about gaming and I can be very vocal about these things. I can't really be anyone else - but I consider it a privilige to participate on a great forum like this.

So, if moderators told me to be less negative - I'd gladly leave the site for the sake of others. But I can't pretend I like that which I don't - and I can't take into consideration what others might think of it. That's not how I work. But I think it's unfortunate that all the good things that are being said about other games and other initiatives aren't heard. I've been more positive towards the "gaming future" in general than I've been for ages - and I'm not really seeing all this doom and gloom.

I see a lot to be positive about in 2011. I'm not too thrilled about DA2, but there are a lot of other games that I am definitely excited about.

Dead Space 2, The Witcher 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Skryrim, Deus Ex 3, Crysis 2, Rage, Max Payne 3, and possibly Mass Effect 3, just to name a few.

This could actually end up being one of the best years for gaming in quite some time.

I see a lot to be positive about in 2011. I'm not too thrilled about DA2, but there are a lot of other games that I am definitely excited about.

Dead Space 2, The Witcher 2, Duke Nukem Forever, Skryrim, Deus Ex 3, Crysis 2, Rage, Max Payne 3, and possibly Mass Effect 3, just to name a few.

This could actually end up being one of the best years for gaming in quite some time.

That's true there are some good games coming out this year. I hope to see more info on Max Payne 3 since it was pushed back. Anybody try dead space 2 yet?

That's true there are some good games coming out this year. I hope to see more info on Max Payne 3 since it was pushed back. Anybody try dead space 2 yet?

Not personally, but I hear it's very much like the first game - except more condensed and with a more personal touch.

I think if you liked Dead Space, you'll like the second one.

So a whole discussion about bitching about bitching. I think you guys are nuts.

Best remark here EVAR ! :lol:

But on a more serious note : This might be what I call "meta discussions". This is pure pilosophy : Discussing why things are the way they are ...

Me, I'm not participating anymore. I got the feeling that no-one wants to read my stuff. So I'm just directing my writing energies elsewhere ...

This is also the only forum I've ever joined. I'm a longtime lurker and only recent poster. These are the only boards I frequent for all of the reasons Nerevarine mentioned, although I'm clearly not contributing to intelligent discussions or a civilized environment. But, honestly, what do you expect from a monkey? At least I'm not throwing my feces…

Props to the Watch.

Dude, the monkey is awesome. Don't knock yourself because you're a monkey.

When my rats finally take over the world we will leave the monkeys alone. The world needs happy monkeys in it to counterbalance the evil my rat minions will bring ;)

@zadokAllen If we keep it up we may end up in a paradox that we can't escape from.:biggrin:

Thanks, Skaven. I appreciate you sparing me from the rat apocalypse. :D

*Deleted*

Meh… nevermind.
No need to rage and then delete the fruits of your wrath.

My point was, I wouldn't mind it if they'd release more than 1 actual RPG per year.
To give you an example I'd like to have one ToEE engine game per year. At least. But what do I get instead? Max Payne 3?

I am looking forward to Twitcher 2 and ME3 though, also I'm not yet convinced that DA2 will suck as much as some seem to think (remember, marketing *this is the new shit* for DA was retarded as well).

Not personally, but I hear it's very much like the first game - except more condensed and with a more personal touch.

I think if you liked Dead Space, you'll like the second one.

Thanks I will give it a try then. Hopefully the game has better controls. I had to download a key remapping program just to change computer controls. See everybody its better to play more than one genre of games you will get more enjoyment from our hobby. :thumbsup:

My point was, I wouldn't mind it if they'd release more than 1 actual RPG per year.
To give you an example I'd like to have one ToEE engine game per year. At least. But what do I get instead? Max Payne 3?

How do you know Max Payne 3 isn't going to be a great game? It sounds to me that your problem is the way you limit yourself to a single genre. If you never play anything other than crpgs, there's going to be times when the pickings seem thin.

Thanks I will give it a try then. Hopefully the game has better controls. I had to download a key remapping program just to change computer controls.

Yep, the controls were horrible in the PC version of Dead Space. It was my only real complaint about the game, and you're not the only one who used a key remapper on it. In fact, I just reinstalled the first game 2 nights ago, and I had to create a key profile for it. At least I'm not having the Vsync issues in Win7 that I used to have in WinXP.

It seems the devs took gamers complaints to heart for the sequel though.
http://www.bluesnews.com/s/111177/dead-space-2-pc-control-improvements

How do you know Max Payne 3 isn't going to be a great game? It sounds to me that your problem is the way you limit yourself to a single genre. If you never play anything other than crpgs, there's going to be times when the pickings seem thin.

I can't speak for VoD, but even though I enjoy all sorts of games - my favourite overall genre is the RPG. I agree with him that it'd be nice to see more RPGs that are recognizable as the type of game that I enjoy and fewer games that are hybrid RPGs or ones that have even excised their RPG elements altogether (here's looking at you, ME2).

It shouldn't be surprising that people are dismayed that there aren't many "true RPGs" coming out anymore on an RPG fan site whether they enjoy other sorts of games or not. In fact, I'd go so far to say that if a person didn't appreciate other sorts of games, they'd have a hard time trying to enjoy games like FONV and Div II.

Back
Top Bottom