Single Player RPG Recommendations (WOW Refugee)

MoutainRex

Traveler
Hi folks,

I'm looking for some help from the experts. I am returning to the world of RPG's after a long hiatus playing WoW. I abandoned WoW because I got bored with the questing lines and pretty much ran through all of the content. Besides, I was always more interested in advancing storylines and discovery than the social aspect of the game.

Ages ago, I used to play Baldur's Gate and really enjoyed that game and it's style. It was challenging, had a good story line and allowed progression very well in my opinion. I recently started playing The Witcher 2, but am not too thrilled with it. It's too passive for me and I end up watching more QT movies than playing the game. Plus, it's not good at exposing me to exploring new lands. It always just takes me to where I have to go.

So given all that gory detail, does anyone know of new games in the Baldur's Gate theme? I'd prefer not to spend good $$$ on another bust. I realize that WoW and Witcher are good for some folks, they're just not my preference.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Rex

Well for exploration - Skyrim is the best now.

For progressing story lines, it's probably something better than Skyrim. Witcher 2 is thought around here as the best contender, although I haven't played it.

For better character development I think you have to go back to older titles.

Maybe party-based Dragon Age: Origins or the Drakensangs would be a good compromise for you? For non-party based, perhaps Risen?

Drakensan and Drakensang: River of time are relatively similar to Baldur's Gate. They do have a different ruleset (they are based on the German RPG The Dark Eye), and are not as epic in scope as Baldur's Gate, but I thought that they were two excellent games. River of time can be a bit hard to find, depending on where you live.

Also, have you played the other Infinity engine games? (The same engine as Baldur's gate). Planescape: Torment is one of the absolutely best games ever created, due to its amazing story. Icewind Dale 1-2 are also quite nice (the first one is better than the second one), but they are focused more around tactical combat.

Temple of Elemental Evil has its share of bugs and it feels a bit unfinished, but like all Troika games, it is still a great game, that does a lot more things right than wrong. The combat in particular in ToEE is outstanding, and it actually uses the morality system that is in place in D&D in a far better way than most other D&D games. You should absolutely play Arcanum as well. It is a relatively nonlinear game set in a steampunk/fantasy setting. The setting itself is incredibly well made, but its combat system is a bit lacking.

There are a lot more great CRPGs out there, but that should get you started.

When you say "Baldur's Gate" do you mean BGI? If so, you should definitively try Baldur's Gate II! Others will chip in with their favorite " Baldur's Gate likes" but why not start with the greatest of them all?

And than you might consider Planescape: Torment; Drakensan and Drakensang: River of time; Dragon Age: Origins etc, etc, etc… :)

Not necessarily "orcs'n'elves" but I do like the Medieval style games. Space type or modern weapons are not as interesting to me. (Personal preference of course.) :)

If Medieval style is "orcs'n'elves", then yes. :)

And thank you for reminding me about the party style in BG, Thrasher. That was another element I really enjoyed about that game.

More good comments - thanks guys!

It seems I may have to wind the clock back a few years and try the ones that came out 5-10 years ago (i.e. BG2) instead of one with a modern engine.

Well I can give you a short list

Bioware

Neverwinter Nights and Expansions
KOTOR 1+2
Jade Empire
MassEffect 1+2
Dragon Age 1+2

Piranha Bytes

Gothic 1,2,3
Risen

Reality Pump

TwoWorlds 1+2

Bethesda

Fallout 3
Fallout NV
Oblivion
Skyrim

Radon Labs

Drakensang Series

Obsidian

NWN2 + Expansions
Alpha Protocol

Finding games like BG is very rare nowadays. I'm sorry to say. You can ask others about indie games as I don't play or enjoy them that much. Some here either love or hate some of the games I posted.

You should check out GOG as they have some of the classic's for sale there.

Last edited:
If you liked Baldur's Gate, just go out an buy the new Drakensang game with the add-on and call it a day. It's a classic that won't leave you disappointed.

If Medieval style is "orcs'n'elves", then yes. :)

And thank you for reminding me about the party style in BG, Thrasher. That was another element I really enjoyed about that game.

Ah, that narrows it down to the Drakensangs or Dragon Age: Origins for recent titles. If you prefer turn-based Baldur's Gate type isometric combat, then definitely play BG 2 plus expansion, Torment, and the Icewind Dales. Also, Arcanum is a good pick for party and turn-based and I think one of the best character development systems, if you don't mind a little Steampunk in your Medieval setting.

Almost forgot, Temple of Elemental Evil is I think the best turn-based combat party-based RPG (well, Wizardry 8 is damn close especially for its more interesting world exploration and also top character development systems, if it weren't for those few repetitive long battles). The ToEE story and setting is somewhat blah, though. Saving grace is that it is D&D. ;) Note W8 had significant sci-fit story and character elements in addtional to medieval.

If you prefer an odd and most satisfying moving experience and story, I'd say Torment is your best bet. For me, it still takes first place.

Last edited:
Yes, remember that there are shovel loads of patches, expansions and mods for BGII!

Gah, y'all totally fail. No mention of Wiz8? Feel your shame, peoples! ;)

If you're wanting a BG-like, I'd probably chime in for Drakensang. But the correct answer is, of course, to chuck it all and play Wiz8.

The ToEE story and setting is somewhat blah, though. Saving grace is that it is D&D. ;) Note W8 had significant sci-fit story and character elements in addtional to medieval.

If you prefer an odd and most satisfying moving experience and story, I'd say Torment is your best bet. For me, it still takes first place.

Hey hey, Them are fighting words ;) ToEE was one my first modules in my PnP career as a DM and still holds a special place in my heart (and a place on my bookshelves). The setting was Original Greyhawk, a classic :) But yeah the box should have written "No story included" The DM (and respectively Troika) was expected to add some of his own touches to what was essentially a combat/Dungeon crawler module…

I always viewed it as a Troika setting up their engine and systems game, with more involved stuff to follow in the future in that vein, which alas never came to be…

+1 for the Torment recommendation and about +5 for Arcanum of course :)

But of course, if you enjoyed Baldur's Gate, you should go for BG 2 and relative expansions, plus Icewind Dale 1,2 and expansions: you can find all of them on GOG.com. Also, all the games previously mentioned. Happy gaming MoutainRex ;).

Hi folks,

I'm looking for some help from the experts.

Look out for "Realms Of Amalur : Reckoning". Or how it is spelled (I have an notoriously bad memory for names).

You could also try DKS [ Divinity : Dragon Knight Saga].

My personal favourite ("Fanboy !" :D ;) ) is of course Drakensang 2, but I don't know if this game fits to your playing style - it is very "old school" in my eyes.

@ MoutainRex

Skyrim, if you are into the exploration thingie. Mind you, it isn't a deep and complex role playing game for people who has no taste and, thus, likes numbers, but the sense of exploration and discovery is totally cool. And, if you go straight for the highest difficulty and don't abuse the crafting skills, the difficulty can get pretty interesting here and there. It is also quite moddable, so you can add lots of pretty clothes and stuffies into the game. Or at least you will be able to, some day. Not a lot of pretty clothes and cool hairdos to add right now.

Following the theme of discovery and exploration you may enjoy the Gothic games. At least, you may if you can get past the adolescent macho bleep permeating everything in the setting and if you are one of those who believe brown and run down is the new pretty. And then there's Risen… Still brown, still run down, still full of ugly people, still macho, still full of characters who sound like they are going to stop every five minutes to brofist each other. Not my thing, but it seems a lot of people do enjoy them. Don't ask me why.

Back to good games, the Ultima Underworld games, and by that I also mean Arx Fatalis, are not really about exploring vast countries but claustrophobic underground territories, but if you can get past that those are some of the better exploration based games out there. Very atmospheric, too, and including survival elements to the mix. Lots of secrets to find, lots of things to puzzle about, lots of actiony battles to win, lots of huge maps to explore. And there are both dwarves and goblins living down there! It's like the Tolkienesque fantasy cuteness convention.

Finally, and while it may not be a pure role playing game, you should give Robinson's Requiem a try if you want to really feel like an explorer discovering a virgin and unknown land, daring its dangers and reaping its rewards. There's no other game like it, if you are looking for that kind of thingie. It's an experience that will remain with you forever, too. Kihihihihihi.

And then there's that Dragon Knight Saga thingie. A lot of people say they are truly good games, or something. Combat looks fun, and you can turn into a dragon and do dragony stuffies so I guess it is a must buy if you are one of those weird scalies. It also seems to have a lot of good ideas, some creative quests, thingies to discover, etc. It sounds great, right? Indeed, it does. However, the price for that is that you will be damned to use one of the worst character models ever made if you are a girl. Like, horrible model and terrible animation. Like, we are talking Prosper level of awfulness here. Like, we are talking tearing out your eyes with a spoon in here. But do give them a fair try if you can stomach that, everyone says those are great games.

Of course, all those games have in common with Baldur's Gate is "You kind of move around and discover stuff." :p

Last edited:
Tartarus. Grinding the bleep out off Arqa 17-24.
Following the theme of discovery and exploration you may enjoy the Gothic games. At least, you may if you can get past the adolescent macho bleep permeating everything in the setting and if you are one of those who believe brown and run down is the new pretty. And then there's Risen… Still brown, still run down, still full of ugly people, still macho, still full of character who sound like they are going to stop every five minutes to brofist each other. Not my thing, but it seems a lot of people do enjoy them. Don't ask me why.
Very nice :lol:

Back to good games, the Ultima Underworld games, and by that I also mean Arx Fatalis, are not really about exploring vast countries but claustrophobic underground territories, but if you can get past that those are some of the better exploration based games out there. Very atmospheric, too, and including survival elements to the mix. Lots of secrets to find, lots of things to puzzle about, lots of actiony battles to win, lots of huge maps to explore. And there are both dwarves and goblins living down there! It's like the Tolkienesque fantasy cuteness convention.

At least you do have some taste ;) well I'll just disregard the "Tolkienesque fantasy cuteness convention" ...

Back
Top Bottom