Witcher 3 - New Footage of Ciri @ IGN

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IGN has some new footage this week of Ciri the Witcher 3's first heroine.

"Basically, Ciri is a totally different character than Geralt," Lead Quest Designer Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz told IGN. "She’s inherited this very powerful magic force that she can use when she needs to. She can travel between worlds, she also [has] some more hidden powers that she can use."

Tomaszkiewicz continued, "We didn’t want her to be too overpowered, so we wanted to put limitations on her. Because of that, we have decided that we will do completely different abilities for her so she doesn’t use any of Geralt’s abilities; she has her own unique combat style."

CDProjekt Red is deliberately trying to defy player expectation that Ciri is a "Mary Sue" sort of character. It isn't as though "everybody likes her, that she’s good at everything and all that," Tomaszkiewicz said. "I think we will have some things that will be surprising, and she has weaknesses as well that, aside from having all these superpowers that were described in the book, she’s also a normal human being [who] feels and has needs."
More information.

Ciri's a genuinely great character in the books, and much more relatable than some others like Yennefer (or even Dandilion for that matter, tho he's still sympathetic). An earlier interview described the Ciri sections as being more like an "adventure" than an "RPG", and that sounds like a solid approach to me. I won't get a chance to fire up TW3 before the end of May, but I'm probably looking forward to it more than any other game I can recall.

An earlier interview described the Ciri sections as being more like an "adventure" than an "RPG", and that sounds like a solid approach to me.

And that's probably going to displease a few people. Personally, I think that having a few sections that are a little more linear and cinematic might be one of the solutions to the dullness that can afflict big open world games.

Ciri's a genuinely great character in the books, and much more relatable than some others like Yennefer (or even Dandilion for that matter, tho he's still sympathetic).

Great character yes but relatable? Only to somebody with a pretty fucked up life I would say :)

I wasn't even aware of the "Mary Sue" trope before; learned something new.

And that's probably going to displease a few people. Personally, I think that having a few sections that are a little more linear and cinematic might be one of the solutions to the dullness that can afflict big open world games.

I've never understood why anything linear is automatically a "bad game," anyway. I like linear sometimes!

I've never understood why anything linear is automatically a "bad game," anyway. I like linear sometimes!

Me too. Big fan of the Uncharted games and Last of Us.

I wouldn't have minded getting to play Ciri in a more open-world kind of way, but I'll take what I can get. :) Maybe mods can tweak the game in small ways so you can play her more...

I find myself enjoying sandbox, open-world and creating your own character more and more. I wish Witcher is a great succes and we'll get more games in this genre, but that like elder scrolls allows you more freedom in what kind of character you make.

By the way. I'm strong today. I managed to not watch the trailer!

Hoping witcher 3 gets rid of the different sword types. Having to switch to appropriate blade was not a fun mechanic for me. Least Ciri seems to only have one blade form what I can see.

Great character yes but relatable? Only to somebody with a pretty fucked up life I would say :)

"Relatable" in the sense that she's easier to sympathize with, especially in the first two books, than any of the other characters. That's why her traumas are affecting; her relatability is the tool that Sapkowski uses to draw you into Geralt's and Yennefer's search for her after the disaster at Thanedd. Ciri may start from royal origins, but she's the closest thing to an "everyman" in the beginning of the series. (I suspect Sapkowski sometimes wants Dandelion to play a similar role, too, but he regularly undermines this with showing off the bard's extraordinary fame.)

Back
Top Bottom