Wasteland 2 - One Million in Sales on First Week

wow. i woke up this morning with a bloody posterior from playing a few hours last night. that uber frog only took about 8 reloads.

wow. i woke up this morning with a bloody posterior from playing a few hours last night. that uber frog only took about 8 reloads.

Ha! That frog utterly destroyed my party. I was not even close to killing it. I lost all faith in my initial
group of Desert Rangers and quit.

First impressions are extremely positive for me. I will most likely be writing a full review of this game when I've played it more.

I wish they sold a million units. More games like this need to be made!

I also want to congratulate Brian Fargo and InXile for the release! You guys rock!

Last edited:
Wow. And all this time they have been telling us there is no market for games like this!

Now if they could just do deep, clever games like this with a modern graphics engine...

Now if they could just do deep, clever games like this with a modern graphics engine…
As much as I want to agree with you a game like that would cost more than the three million they earned on kickstarter. It would probably cost ten million or more.

Who knows they might attract a big investor after Wasteland 2's success.:)

It would be a bit grating to have sweet graphics and text bubbles but I could deal with it!

P.S. Steam says CRPGNut is playing Xulima again. ;)

Now if they could just do deep, clever games like this with a modern graphics engine…
Pass. I'd rather the money be spent on better gameplay, more game content, and maybe, just maybe actually finishing a game before it's released for once.

Obsession with graphics (and voice acting) is what ruined these types of games to begin with. Higher budgets required for the better graphics means you're forced to appeal to a much wider target audience (including console players), an audience that wants much different things. It took 10 years for people to find out that they can still make lots of money making games that appeal to the previous, narrower audience without the crazy graphics/voice. Making the same mistake twice would be dumb. I can see some people being dumb enough to do it, but not Fargo.

Wow. And all this time they have been telling us there is no market for games like this!

As much as I want to agree with you a game like that would cost more than the three million they earned on kickstarter. It would probably cost ten million or more.

Who knows they might attract a big investor after Wasteland 2's success.:)

That's the thing: All in all this was very cheap to make compared to most modern games, and I doubt big investors are going to look at these figures and go "what a missed chance!". They generally operate on a somewhat different economic level, where both the investments and potential rewards are much higher.

Old school RPGs are niche games, and that's not likely to change anytime soon. However, that isn't really a bad thing as long as they're still being made. :)

P.S. Steam says CRPGNut is playing Xulima again. ;)

Arrgh! I agreed to work on their beta, so I'm stuck playing Xulima for at least a few more days. I've got an NDA, so I can't talk about what is in the newer versions but I'm still having a great time with the game and I like what I'm seeing. That's probably as far as they would want me to go. I will switch to Wasteland 2 this weekend, but I want to give the new beta some QT first.

Well, the million dollars note was from the 20th so they may have made strides since then.

Personally I figure that them offering the game to certain levels of torment and pillars kickstarter backers can't have helped their after-release sales figures (I know I gave away 2 of my copies to people), but maybe that'll balance out from word of mouth of those people after they play.

That's the thing: All in all this was very cheap to make compared to most modern games, and I doubt big investors are going to look at these figures and go "what a missed chance!". They generally operate on a somewhat different economic level, where both the investments and potential rewards are much higher.

Old school RPGs are niche games, and that's not likely to change anytime soon. However, that isn't really a bad thing as long as they're still being made. :)

It does work for smaller companies. Paradox strategy games are not for everyone. They've come a long way but they're so intricate that the learning curve alone is longer in most of their games than a full play-through of current games. Yet they're flourishing by catering to the type of gamers that love those intricate strategy games. It works for them, and it works for us the players.

Obsession with graphics (and voice acting) is what ruined these types of games to begin with. Higher budgets required for the better graphics means you're forced to appeal to a much wider target audience (including console players), an audience that wants much different things. It took 10 years for people to find out that they can still make lots of money making games that appeal to the previous, narrower audience without the crazy graphics/voice. Making the same mistake twice would be dumb. I can see some people being dumb enough to do it, but not Fargo.

I could live with expanded voice acting though. It can add a lot of personality to the role-playing experience.

I am loving this game. I have about 35hrs on this game and it keeps getting better. I love the talking over the airwaves and reports that happen. My only complaint so far is they have reused some of the portraits WAY too much. They really need more portraits.

Dart, I'll be looking forward to your review. You're a true critic! :)

Pass. I'd rather the money be spent on better gameplay, more game content, and maybe, just maybe actually finishing a game before it's released for once.

I know my opinion isn's much appreciated around here, but I can't pass by these statements without a reply. Obsession with graphics and voice acting was what turned party-based isometrical tactical games into something resembling what I recall from my many years as a pen & paper role player. Which was the role playing (as the name of the hobby implies) and the immersion in the setting, versus the total exclusion of the player, which observes the events from afar (distance given by the isometrical view) so he can deploy more effectively his units on the terrain.
To each his own, of course, but there's quite a lot of old-school games around for people to still be bashing on the graphics and voice acting. Now it's our (when I say "our" I mean the people who like immerion, decent graphics, the not-so tactical approach, the real time, the 1st or 3rd person perspective) time to be the minority.
I'm thinking I already feel the need to bitch about all the so called RPGs being turn based tactical stuff… Where are others now?

I've got graphical standards, but they're pretty low. Jeff Vogel's stuff is too low, but I'm okay with Blackguards and MMX, etc. Wasteland 2 looks okay, but I would prefer the characters be bigger on screen. I like to see details. PoE suffers from this too. It's hard to tell which character is which; at least for me.

I think Wasteland 2 looks pretty good, actually. Characters "up close" aren't very pretty - but that's not a big deal, as you rarely see them up close. Definitely much nicer to look at than Dead State - with much better animations as well.

The performance is crap for what it does, but it's Unity - so that's par for the course.

Thankfully, I've got a pretty powerful setup - so it's not a problem.

Back
Top Bottom