GOG - Pre-order Gabriel Knight Now

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
GOG announces you can now pre-order the Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition for $16.99. This might interest the adventure fans on the site.

You are Gabriel Knight, a struggling novelist and bookstore owner, plagued by a horrific, recurring nightmare and more ordinary financial problems. Along with your assistant, Grace Nakimura, you begin investigating a series of gruesome ritual killings in the voodoo capital of America--New Orleans. Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition, is a trully exceptional blend of what classic and brand new adventure games have to offer.

The 1993 award-winning original, one of the finest entries in master storyteller Jane Jensen's body of work, receives an astounding remake with high-res hand-crafted backgrounds, detailed 3D character models, re-orchestrated music, and additional in-game content. Regardless if you are a veteran of classic adventure gaming, or a newcomer to the Gabriel Knight franchise, you can't go wrong here. Pre-order Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers - 20th Anniversary Edition and get ready for the re-imagined dark and mysterious adventure.
More information.

This is a remake of one of the best PC adventure games of all time (if not THE best).
As a backer of Jane Jensen's Moebius Kickstarter, I should get this for free. :)
I'm looking forward to playing it again, although I'll miss the original voiceovers done by Tim Curry, Leah Remini, Mark Hamill, and Michael Dorn.

You play an author investigating a series of voodoo related murders in New Orleans. I remember it as being well written, smart, deep, and historical. For those that missed it 20+ years ago, give it a try… You'll learn more about the history of New Orleans and Voodoo/Hoodoo than you ever wanted to know.

I never actually played this for real.

I wonder if it's as good as people claim....

I was just thinking about this game and how I never ended up playing it. I have to get this along with full throttle..

That...didn't sound much like the original GK tune. :-( Need to check out the remastered soundtrack asap. Nobody could mess that up, right?

Saw some of the screenshots of the dialogue and honestly, the 3D faces look so much worse than the original 2D art. I'll probably give this one a try anyway because of the promised additional content and I'm curious how Jane changed the pace (she shifted some content from day 1 to later in the game). I liked it in the original, the pace increased with every day as there was less to do but things got more intense. Btw, if you play the original make sure to visit the church every day for a confession, pretty nice foreshadowing done by the priest there.

I love the GK series. I enjoyed Grey Matter and Moebious despite their flaws, but I would prefer Jane Jensen to make GK 4 instead of new IPs or remakes. And please, use Tim Curry for the voice of GK.

I can't recall any major news about it that didn't mention the new voices.
I would have posted it if someone had brought to my attention.:)

At least they have a valid reason so I can't be to mad at the developer.
Okay, new art makes sense, but why redo the voices?

Unfortunately the original recordings were lost and stripping the audio from the game did not result in acceptable quality. Because of this, rerecording was a necessity. The original actors are twenty years older—even if they were interested in reprising their roles, they probably wouldn’t sound like they did “back then”—and the cost of getting some of those actors wasn’t practical for the budget of this project. Recasting was our only option. We turned to Bay Area Sound, a studio that does voice recording for a ton of adventure games including Telltale’s The Walking Dead, Sam & Max and Tales of Monkey Island as well as Jane’s game Moebius. (In other words, this isn’t their first time working on a reboot of a classic adventure series!) They helped us cast great actors true to the spirit of the original cast. The voices have already been recorded and Jane’s very happy with the results. We’ll reveal more details about the cast as the mid-2014 release approaches.

Last edited:
At least hey have a valid reason so I can't be to mad at the developer.

Yes, the new/current developer can't be blamed for the fact, that someone else (all those years ago) threw all the recordings of Tim Curry, Mark Hamill, Michael Dorn […] in the trash like it was garbage instead of properly archiving it… It's a damn shame how treasures like that were often treated.

Ah ok.. Thanks for the info. I wonder if the sequels will also get remade.

No, Jane Jensen has said she wants to make a GK4, not remake 2+3. IF this edition of GK should sell, GK4 has a good change of being greenlit. I'm not holding my breath, although it would make me really happy.

Last edited:
Would love to take a trip back to Schloss Ritter... maybe she could start GK4 there and branch out.. She's tackled Louisiana voodoo zombies, German werewolves, and French vampires. Perhaps the next story could involve a trip to Switzerland and a certain Mary Shelley legend....

Back
Top Bottom