Mass Effect 3 - Multiplayer Roundup

Dhruin

SasqWatch
BioWare has let the press try out multiplayer for Mass Effect 3 and here's the first batch of previews and more.
Kotaku says Multiplayer Doesn't Ruin Mass Effect 3 (thanks, KapitanUnterhosen), saying "I've played it, and while I don't love it, I see why they're doing it and I see how it could be great":
It plays, no surprise, a bit like the Horde mode popularized by Gears of War, but with role-playing game leveling. There is no multiplayer conversation, no multiplayer morality decisions (and no multiplayer Mass Effect romance—I asked!). There is, however, all of Mass Effect's evolving, improving combat. You play in third-person, utilizing the kind of guns and powers you would in single-player Mass Effect. You gain experience points for kills and completion of objectives, and you can spend those points leveling up your character's powers just as you would Shepard and her squadmates in the single-player game. Each class has their own specialties. Each race has some unique abilities.
Rock, Paper, Shotgun, who say "Mass Effect 3 is clearly still intended to be primarily a single-player experience, optionally augmented by the co-op":
Think, Left 4 Dead, but you don’t go anywhere, and you can’t pick up weapons, and, er, it’s got four players. The level we played was set on a fairly generic, grey-and-white multi-level platforms, interior and exterior. It was certainly unremarkable. But quickly the four of us – three games hacks and a BioWare employee – were being attacked by waves of Reapers and Geth.
Waves is the key here. It’s about surviving as many waves as you can, before your inevitable death. The more of them you survive, and the more you get done, the more points you get to carry over to your SP story. Which lends it the arcade-feel that ensures it knows its place.
VG247:
Whether you agree that premise justifies the inclusion of a fully-fledged four-player co-op multiplayer mode comes down to personal feelings. By focusing on the numerous races and classes of the Mass Effect universe – and excluding Shepard from the multiplayer action entirely – Bioware is at least ensuring that the new mode does not undermine the carefully crafted fiction and all important narrative of Mass Effect’s universe.
IGN has a roundtable conversation with several of its' editors:
Anthony Gallegos, PC Editor: I've heard people talk about how they wanted Mass Effect co-op gameplay, but I don't think that this is exactly what they had in mind. Granted, a campaign where two people are making decisions would probably be a nightmare to design, but this new mode focuses on the part of Mass Effect I've always enjoyed the least: the combat. The new melee attacks and tighter shooting helps, but I'm not sure how interested I'll be in sinking hours into a mode that's all about fighting. Am I being a bit too hard on it?
CVG, where Casey Hudson says we'll all be sucked into ME3's matrix, where we'll live happily ever after:
But the 'Galaxy at War' mechanic doesn't just take place in the single-player. Instead, it appears to play out like one gigantic, universe-wide game of Risk - in essence 'framing' the solo adventure. The shots we were shown (but, sadly, weren't allowed to leave with) did bring to mind the classic board game, with green territories repre-senting captured assets, amber colours representing those hanging in the balance - and red pointing out Reaper/Cerberus-controlled zones.

"This is a concept that has never been done before in games, ever," reckons Hudson. "Not simply a story device, it's fundamental to the game. For the first time, wherever you go - online, mobile, on social networks - you'll be able to follow your progress. You'll never have to leave the Mass Effect experience."
BioWare reacts to the suggestion that the single-player game will be compromised by the MP at Eurogamer:
"It's a fun and novel way to increase that number and open things up by having a diverse range of experiences," Flynn explained. "At the same time, you don...More information.

"Waves is the key here. It’s about surviving as many waves as you can, before your inevitable death. The more of them you survive, and the more you get done, the more points you get to carry over to your SP story. Which lends it the arcade-feel that ensures it knows its place."

Another Dragon Age 2 article? When will people finally stop writing about this game?! Wait...this is a Mass Effect article? Oh...carry on then!

"It's a fun and novel way to increase that number and open things up by having a diverse range of experiences," Flynn explained. "At the same time, you don't need to. You can stick to the single-player campaign. I'm sure there are a lot of completists out there who want to do that. They'll have amazing experiences and they'll get to see all the cool stuff they want to see just by doing single-player stuff.

I take whatever Bioware says with a grain of salt lately. We shall see Bioware we shall see. Woe to you if your wrong.

I won't see. I have zero interest in the games BioWaste is making these days.

I'm looking forward to Mass Effect 3, but I likely won't touch the multi-player. But that's okay, I don't believe they would sacrifice the single-player campaign.

What's this "horde mode" of Gears Of War I often read about, actually ?

I'm hoping it will be more of an RPG this time, but I'm prepared to be disappointed. What a waste on the multiplayer part, I got mmo's for that when I wanna do it, I don't get the whole mutliplayer phenom at all. If want to compete against real people, I'll play cards or a boardgame tbh.

-Carn

Yeah, why make the base game better when you can spend extra money Tacking On Fake Mulitplayer.

Doesn't seem so bad to me. If the single-player is good and the multiplayer is optional, but decent, I don't have a problem with it.

Back
Top Bottom