Dragon Age: Inquisition - RPG Codex Review

Sounds like you're nearly recovered? So Couch, what's the rationale for the playthroughs? Trying to get the "romance all PCs" achievement? ;)
No I already romanced both Josephine and Cassandra. ;)

I just want to see how each world-state changes the game, and how the dialogue changes with each different background you play as. At least that part is like Origins.

I don't care about achievements.

No I already romanced both Josephine and Cassandra. ;)

I just want to see how each world-state changes the game, and how the dialogue changes with each different background you play as. At least that part is like Origins.

I don't care about achievements.

Based on your last 3 playthroughs do you actually see big differences?

I played all origin stories back then, but took only a single origin through the full game (Dalish Mage). It would have been nice if there was a prologue for each backstory in inquisition.

Based on your last 3 playthroughs do you actually see big differences?
Depends on your choices you picked for the world-state, and what background you play as. As dialogue choices do change in the game, but it doesn't affect the ending.

Try playing as a Dalish elf and interact with Solas/Sera to see what I mean.

Yeah, I'm getting that interaction now. It's pretty cool to see the customization. Not sure if it's worth it for all the combat though. I'd try to play through as fast as possible if I were to do it again. May be save some areas for other playthroughs, if I have the desire.

You have time to play DA:I 4 times and yet you don't have time to play some of the greatest classic cRPGs of all time? At least tell me you have played Ultima 7?

You have time to play DA:I 4 times and yet you don't have time to play some of the greatest classic cRPGs of all time? At least tell me you have played Ultima 7?
Nope as I quickly lose interest whenever I try to force myself to play them. So if I lose my creditability over this I don't care as I play what I like, not what others tell me to.:)

Hmm I was thinking about trying this game out even thought I've disliked Biowares latest games. But this review and thread is making me uncertain again.

Hmm I was thinking about trying this game out even thought I've disliked Biowares latest games. But this review and thread is making me uncertain again.

There are tons of "Let's Play" DA:I videos on YouTube. I think watching those is a lot better than trying to decide whether or not it's for you based on forum comments.

Personally, I have very little interest in DA:I. I haven't really enjoyed a Bioware game in a long time, and there are too many other games I'd rather play.

I "only" played through DA: I twice, but I'll get around to it again once there's an expansion or some good, story based DLCs.

At any rate, I swap between TB and RT mode in both M&M and Arcanum all the time, so the reviewers point about combat is rather moot from where I'm sitting.

Sorry, I expected a better review from Codex.
I mean…
With this silly little rotation, I eventually managed to kill everything in the game, from bears to dragons.
Excuse me. But you, whomever you are, did not.

The conclusion with "can't suggest to buy"… Bah. I seriously expected something like "can't suggest DELUXE to buy."

But okay, not every codex review can be stellar.

I'm fine with Codex bashing DAI for not being "hardcore" and the combat issues are noted ... but to say exploration is tedious? Wow...again, I feel sorry for someone who can't find joy in exploring a huge, beautiful, fantasy world. There's something so cynical and sad about their inability to enjoy the creativity and imagination of the game world. Their loss.

I must admit, I thought DA:I was a whole lot better than Dragon Age 2, as in it looked like a game I'd enjoy more than DA 2. I quite like the idea of aimless wandering and just doing odd bits and pieces of random quests here and there in a nice environment.

And I almost bit. However, upon watching a Youtube Let's Play, it quickly became evident that the dross outweighed the quality by too great a margin for me to probably ever play this game. The respawning was massive kick in the teeth for me, for one. There really is nothing worse for me when I'm just leisurly taking in an environment, going from A to B and out pops this random fight in an area I've already 'cleared'. That kind of things really grates my rag. I don't even enjoy it in supposedly quality cRPGs where it's called 'random encounters' when you travel from one screen to the next. Absolutely hate that.

Another thing that ruined it for me was the cut-scenes when you harvest items in the wilderness. This is something that is worse for PCs than consoles, but it's so tedious having to walk up to goodies, stop, go through the animation and then resume your path, it really breaks up the joy of going from A to B. Not only that, but these items also respawn, giving no sense of 'clear' and making you unable to guess at what point you're supposed to not bother doing this task at all. And there's this trader that sells them anyway. But it's all there to be picked, so, as a gamer, you click it and pick it, because it's there to be clicked... oh what a mess.

Then there's the animation for jumping over things. Every few paces you have to stop, go through an animation, then resume your journey. And it's not like the paths are that way because you've chosen a rocky path, the walkways are all pretty linear and path-like, they just made them overly rocky ?to be annoying?

And then when you get combat its all kind of wham-bam-boom-hoorah-yippidy-doo-scrappy-dappy-doo but after what feels like an age of doing that the monster has only lost 10% of it's life. You have no real idea of what's hitting you, you just see your health bar take a huge whack every now and then. I can't see much player agency beyond the blind panic of button mashing until it's all over and a sense of relief that it's all over. A bit like Peter Sellers versus Burt Kwouk in the Pink Panter movies.

The main plot is also just not fantasy enough for me, which is also a big reason for my dislike of DA 2. In origins you really explored different areas that felt like different communities, Dwarven underground cities, Elven forests, Yokel towns and busy towns, mage towers and Templar strongholds. But in 2 all I was getting was this big overbearing religious theme, which was itself so closely a mimic of actual reality that it felt more like a medieval costume drama than fantasy. Likewise with DA:I, it's just so obviously all a mimic of something realistically medieval, the costume drama even playing out in an in-game costume drama! It just made me yearn for the Forgotten Realms so much that it put me off.

And the many different environments can be cool, but only in part, not in the whole. There was this one area that was gorgeous. Really gorgeous. It was just some random building you walk in, I think outside of the main plot, where there's all these beasts frozen in time. Conjures thoughts about The Lion The Witch And The Wardrobe. But in the main anywhere could have been anywhere. At no time did I get any impression of who the 'normal' inhabitants of an area were, aside from generic humans of no great differential.

The great plot-choice of Mages or Templars is supposedly the big decision you have to make in the game, but we've been there and done that already, both in Origins and DA 2, if that's going to be the thing in every Dragon Age game forever, then I'm at a loss as I loathed it in Origins, and yet that was the bit they stuck with. Out with the Dwarf citadels, out with the Elven woods, we want more Catholic stuff... no. Well, I don't anyway.

But yeah, it has me more interested than DA 2 that's for sure.

Regarding: Couch in these threads. I've read pretty much all the Dragon Age threads since this game was beginning its hype-drive months and months ago, and I've yet to see many actual reasons why you like these games soooo much. I honestly have nothing against anyone who does like these games, different strokes for different folks and all that, but what I notice from Couch is that you state quite clearly that you're a fan and you look forward to people 'bugging you' about that fact.

And here in this thread quite a few people have asked you 'specifically' what it is that you are so addicted to. I don't think these people are asking because they want to argue with you or because they wish to troll you, I know I certainly don't, but your responses often seem like the exact flip-coin to the people who dismiss the games out of hand. They offer nothing in the way of descriptor, but then neither do you. You just repeat "I like what I like, so there, I can like whatever I like, what's it to you", which isn't really very conversational.

You say you've already repeated yourself so many times, but the only things I've seen repeated is you saying things like "this game is great, uh-oh, now I'm going to get the trolls", which is kind of your way of saying "I'm not discussing it"?

The thing is, it's just that people are genuinely curious as to what the amazeballs factors are, for you, just as much as they might be interested in reading all (well, some of) the reasons why, I, probably wont be picking it up.

The mere fact that you expect derision kind of makes me think that you know they're not very good, but the fact that you have nothing really much to say to anyone about the game in all it's positives glory is just really weird.

I mean, I've been there. I was a fan of Icewind Dale while the majority slammed it as a crappy Diablo rip-off and chanted on about Balders Gate all day long, every mention of Icewid Dale being met with the eyes and words of ignorant derision. But, for me, I would always, and will always meet them with the many positive facts about Icewind Dale and I will happily constantly put right someone passing off falsehoods as negatives. I will be impassioned about it.

You seem like you are impassioned about the games, but you never seem able to put it into words beyond "I like wot I like, k, now eff orf and troll someone else". But there's no trolling here, just wanna hear some passion to match the passion, if that makes sense.

I'm not Couch but I'll answer myself what I like about DA:I. And it's not only DA:I but all of the DA and ME franchise. For me the main fun is to play a single character who has and interacts with a crew of companions. Going on adventures and stuff, having good times and bad times. This combined with a high immersion level.

Considering DA only it was imho best in DA:O, mediocre in DA2 and worst in DA:I. But in all games it's a little shallow as the companions don't get carried over to the sequel (with little exceptions).
In the the Mass Effect series this "feature" is outstanding, even better than in Baldur's Gate trilogy.
The only other developer that created something similar is CDPR with the Witcher having Dandelion, Triss and Zoltan with the restriction that you they don't actually travel and fight with the main char.

No other developer created games with this simple formula (companions + immersion) in the past years. D:OS and WL2 don't do it either. Only Shadowrun came close, but (for me) it lacks immersion. Spiders with Mars: War Logs and Bound By Flame tried it but imho fell short because of shallow companions.

Perhaps PoE and TToN will show that Bioware isn't the only developer being able to create games with a fearture like that.

I just wish better RPG systems were used in these modern games. I don't understand why stats have been streamlined and removed. Well, I do understand, because it started as a trend, caught on and now everyone thinks that how games should be made.

I won't argue anything except that there should still be some developers who build RPGs with deep, meaty stat systems, and there are, such as Spiderweb Software, Basilisk, etc. So all hope is definitely not lost. :)

Now excuse me, I am going to nerd out with some Neverwinter Nights modules. :)

No other developer created games with this simple formula (companions + immersion) in the past years.

That is certainly the reason why I've been Bioware fangirl since BG2, and the reason I disliked BG1. I do indeed love that aspect of Bioware games. I just wish they can expand their focus a little further.

See, it's like this. PS:T has absolutely fantastic story. It wasn't enough for me to enjoy the game. IWD/D:OS has fun combat system. Also wasn't enough for me (IWD1 NPC mod fixed that problem for me, but still. I enjoy playing D:OS a lot, but I still haven't finished the game, because it lacks everything other than combat). Bioware games have colourful/interesting companions. It has been enough for me, because, this is the aspect I value the highest of all. But now that alone isn't enough to cut it for me it seems. Oh yeah, and Bioware being too dramatic isn't also helping (I do hate reality shows).

I wish I could say that I find most Bioware games immersive, but I'd be lying.

I did find Mass Effect pretty immersive, but neither of the sequels grabbed me in the same way. Prior to that, I'd have to go all the way back to Baldur's Gate 2 for the last time I felt truly sucked-in by a Bioware game.

Bioware does do the companion thing well, but unfortunately that's not an aspect that matters to me as much as it does to some.

I just wish better RPG systems were used in these modern games. I don't understand why stats have been streamlined and removed. Well, I do understand, because it started as a trend, caught on and now everyone thinks that how games should be made.

I won't argue anything except that there should still be some developers who build RPGs with deep, meaty stat systems, and there are, such as Spiderweb Software, Basilisk, etc. So all hope is definitely not lost. :)
Right, I wish there were developers making games with decent character building AND the companion thing I was talking before. Last game featuring both imho was DA:O, that was released 5 years ago…

Back
Top Bottom