Gamasutra - Various Articles Update

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Here are two articles of interest from Gamasutra this week. The first one is a followup to the C.Net article about the Unity sale. Seems the sale might not be happening.

"We have no plan to sell Unity," says co-founder and CTO Joachim Ante -- in a new post on the official Unity forums.

Rumors that the company was up for sale swelled last week following a report by CNET. VentureBeat published similar rumors last month.

However, Ante unequivocally denies them in his new post. "Our response has always been that for Unity it is best to be an independent company. This has been true for the last 10 years, it is equally true today," he writes.
The second article is a hosted submission that talks about how to Rethink Magic RPGs.

Most RPGs use “fire-ice-lightning” or “fire-ice-wind-earth” elemental systems of magic, where fire is strong against ice and vice versa, ice spells freeze/slow enemies, etc. Offhand can you think of any RPG where the first offensive spell you learn is NOT “Fireball” or something similar? It’s disturbingly difficult.

In terms of using magic strategically in these systems, it is usually either a simple matter of “use fire magic against ice monster,” or else guess and check (a boss is weak against lightning for no apparent reason and with no indication, etc.).

Of course fire and ice are easy to understand as powerful forces of magic, but when the same system is used so often it starts to lose the sense of excitement and wonder that magic should have. As a powerful supernatural force, magic should also tie in with the foundations of the game’s world. Why is magic divided into fire and ice instead of star and crystal, plastic and metal, or bone and dirt?

There must be more ways to make magic fresh, original, and strategically interesting… Once again, let’s see how games have accomplished this in the past.
More information.

when people are barely able to design something coherent, I am no sure that questioning the standards is a good path. Ifully support it, especially for young designers who clearly won't deliver something huge could at least stick some ideas that could inspire mammoths

An approach I'd like to see is to have individual spells lose their potency if they are over-used. I.e. a magic spell weakens when it becomes too mundane and utilitarian, but can regain its potency through careful conservation.

The net result is that the player has to employ a variety of different spells to solve their dilemmas, saving the high potency spells for when they are most needed. It becomes a resource management game for wizard characters.

An approach I'd like to see is to have individual spells lose their potency if they are over-used.
Cooldowns? At least that's what it boils down to.

Many of these suggestions to make magic more interesting sound good on paper, but fail the practical test. If you want to make magic special, don't make "wizard" a class. And as soon as "wizard" is a class, you don't want to take his tools away and let him watch his comrades do the fights.

Also, there are examples of how to achieve this in a better way. Most proper RPG systems use more than just elemental damage magic. Often enough, things like buffing/debuffing or summoning are superior to simple damage spells.

And as soon as "wizard" is a class, you don't want to take his tools away and let him watch his comrades do the fights.

That wasn't my intention; the resulting Wizard would require a broader diversity of tools so he could remain effective. He'd just have to be a little more creative in his spell use.

I believe that Larian went right when they went into a new route with adding "shadow" damage within "Beyond Divinity" and similar things (don't remember names anymore, though).

Back
Top Bottom