XCOM 2 - Officially Announced

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
X-Com 2 - Officially Announced

Well it seems 2K Games has officially announced XCOM 2 today. Here are the details.
XCOM 2 Officially Announced; First 1080p Screenshots Revealed

As teased in the past few days with the Advent site, today 2K Games officially announced with a press release XCOM 2, sequel to the critically acclaimed XCOM: Enemy Unknown, and successor to the classic XCOM series.

The game will be released in November exclusively for PC, and it will be developed by Firaxis Games like its predecesorr. It’s twenty years into the future, after humanity actually lost the war against the aliens.

“In XCOM 2, the roles have been reversed, and XCOM is now the invading force. They are hampered by limited resources and must constantly evade the alien threat in their new mobile headquarters. Players must use a combination of firepower and stealth-like tactics to help XCOM recruit soldiers and build a resistance network, while attempting to expose the evil alien agenda and save humanity. XCOM 2 will introduce gameplay features such as procedurally-generated levels, which will make each experience unique to the player, as well as offer a much deeper level of modding support. Additionally, XCOM 2 will offer a variety of new content including five updated soldier classes, increased soldier customization, more alien and enemy types, evolved tactical combat”

2K Games President Christoph Hartmann accompanied the press release with a comment:

“Firaxis proved they could reimagine a beloved franchise with XCOM: Enemy Unknown, a Game of the Year award-winning title. With XCOM 2, the team is breathing new life into the series by adding an epic narrative and challenging players to overcome near impossible odds.”

Creative Director Jake Solomon also promised that the game will be solidly based on feedback from the fans received after the first game:

“The feedback from the passionate XCOM community played an important role in the development of XCOM 2, driving us to push the visual, gameplay and replayability boundaries of what a strategy game can be. We’re thrilled to implement long-time fan requested features such as procedural levels and modding support, as well as adding more of what makes XCOM great like new aliens, enemies and soldier classes.”

Woohoo!!!!

Also, hi Couch!

Sounds great to me. I'm in the midst of yet another XCom:EW replay even though I'm supposed to be playing other games. Hopefully XCom2 can maintain the magic.

Everything I read sounds great. I expect a better game than last Xcom.

Holy crap… I'm already about to get bedsores and blood clots from sitting on my ass playing PoE and Witcher.

Now we're 5 months away from another installment in the biggest addiction in my gaming life. Blown away. And Fallout 4 announcement in a couple weeks.

=Best game year ever? Valid question.

Holy crap… I'm already about to get bedsores and blood clots from sitting on my ass playing PoE and Witcher.

Now we're 5 months away from another installment in the biggest addiction in my gaming life. Blown away. And Fallout 4 announcement in a couple weeks.

=Best game year ever? Valid question.
Only if TToN releases in 2015 :D

Great to see you Spud. Somebody front page this, this is great news!

The game that is..not necessarily the M. Le Pomme du Chesterfielde.

This may be heresy, but I am saddened to see it won't be available for XBox 360. I really enjoyed playing it on console.

I'm surprised it isn't on console, especially after the press release pointing out that the screenshots are 1080p.

"… as well as offer a much deeper level of modding support"
AWESOME!

So… underwater?

XBox should be able to crunch them out in the cloud and toss them down to players as needed. Or work on levels while the player tries to decide what shot to take.

What were sales like on the consoles? Maybe they just don't expect enough sales to make it worth while?

PC exclusive, that's awesome but how about keyboard and mouse support?:lol:

Here is the announcement trailer that IGN got to release first.

And there was much rejoicing

:)

Maybe the omission of a console version means we can finally expect a roaming AI, instead of the pathetic pop spawning system of the first game?

I would dearly love to see that happen!

Created newsbit in the Potato's Voice and moved over comments. Now it looks a bit like he posted it. Aren't I sneaky?

Come back anytime, Couch. ;)

Great news, and close to release as well. Finally a game building hype at the right time, no 2-3 years in advance.

They seemed to have ported the first one to mobile quite easily so I doubt this stays PC exclusive for too long. I didn't finish the first and lamented what I found to have been an oversimplified xcom but enjoyed it well enough to look forward to a second.

Hmm… I guess I'm the only one that finds the November release odd. A major AAA title being announced only 5 months before release?

Not sure why exactly, but my initial feeling about this isn't very good. I'm also less than impressed by those screens.

Back
Top Bottom