KoA: Reckoning - Video Interview @ IGN

Fixing Combat in the RPG Genre

Every company says this when making an rpg now can they back those claims up or will it be another disappointment that's the question.

Last edited:
When the title is "Fixing combat in the RPG genre" and it's followed by "the merits of making an action RPG" we've got ourselves a double whammy of a paradox bundled with a brand new low in cRPG deveoper comments. Two thumbs DOWN. (Didn't bother to watch the video, the title and subtitle were enough for me.)

Why fix it now that the pinacle of combat awesomeness has been reached with Dragon Age 2?

My personal approach at "fixing combat in the RPG genre" is simple :

Leave it out.

:p

Alrik, leave it out? Then it becomes an adventure game :p

Alrik, leave it out? Then it becomes an adventure game :p

And that's EXACTLY what I want !!! :lol:

Because - I ALWAYS thought of RPGs as "expanded adventure games" when I first came in contact with them ! ;)

(And - honestly - deep inside of me I still believe it ! ;) )

And that's EXACTLY what I want !!! :lol:

Because - I ALWAYS thought of RPGs as "expanded adventure games" when I first came in contact with them ! ;)

(And - honestly - deep inside of me I still believe it ! ;) )

Blasphemy burn the heretic.:slap:

But the adventure games had something more to them that spooning out content nuggets, which not many RPGs past or present did. Something not easy to produce, probably harder than making a proper RPG.

Yes, exactly.

Doing a game that involves hardly a spoonful of story but instead lots of looting & hack & slash is imho by far more easy to do than a story-heavy game that must be thought out and outlined first, and then made to present the story so to the players that they will be impressed.

And that's very difficult, in my opinion.

To me, this also implies that real *storytellers* are people the industry isn't holding too highly in regard. At least not in action-oriented games - which are the majority nowadays.
The other side of this implication would be that it's rather the "technicians", the engineers and the artists who are developing games.

The technical aspect of gamnes is so vastly developed nowadays that the story telling is lagging behind that for lightyears.

An example would be Far Cry : Great graphical environment, great technique of the game - but the "story" evolves around ... or rather consists of shooting.

Okay, there's a story, but the MAIN element of that game is still the shooting, NOT the story.

The other side of that would be ... - to take the exactly same environment, but make an adventure game out of it !

It always strikes me as odd that the games qith the far best graphical representation and tecnique/technics behind it are also the games with the least amount of REAL story -

- and vice versa !

Who has ever seen an adventure game with the graphics of Crysis ? Of Oblivion ?

Adventure games are great, but I'd prefer something in the middle between adventure and RPG like Quest for Glory. That was the absolute best from Sierra bar none. It's too bad no one else tried to mix those two genres.....or at least I don't know of any as good as QFG.

Okay, understood. Similar games would indeed be great, I believe.

Back
Top Bottom