Game Pressure - First Look at Stellaris

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Game Pressure takes a look at Pardox's new game Stellaris.

75800495.jpg

Link - http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=243
The development division of Paradox Interactive has reached the point when they could make historic RTS games on a sewing machine with their eyes closed while handcuffed to a bathroom radiator; and even then it would be a better game than what most of their competition can manage. Nevertheless, Stellaris seems like a jump off the deep end of the pool even for them. The Swedes are completely new to the Sci-Fi setting while their newest project has all the marks of a typical 4X (eXplore, eXpand, eXploit, and eXterminate) game. After the gamescom presentation, however, it’s hard to avoid the impression that breaking the pattern may have been a good call from the genre veterans. The Stellaris’ complex and well-thought design looks very promising, and, although you couldn’t say, it won the hearts and minds of anyone who saw it. I believe what Paradox prepares for us, may be one of the most interesting games aimed at RTS fans in the coming years.
I can't wait to see more gamepaly footage as I'm very interested in this game.o_O

This sounds interesting but they didn't mention how space and ground combat will look. They did say you will gain control of planets through diplomacy but that could be done after you do fight for a while and win major battles. If the game is like GavCiv3 with no tactical combat, I am out.

This sounds interesting but they didn't mention how space and ground combat will look. They did say you will gain control of planets through diplomacy but that could be done after you do fight for a while and win major battles. If the game is like GavCiv3 with no tactical combat, I am out.

You're probably out. Paradox games don't have tactical combat (and that's why people who like them... like them). It's all about strategy.

You're probably out. Paradox games don't have tactical combat (and that's why people who like them… like them). It's all about strategy.

Yes. Chances are if you don't like EU or CK, you're probably not going to like this either. It's "grand strategy". Think RISK (the board game) here.

Depends on your definition of "grand strategy". ;)
But possibly, I won't claim to know every game. It's just the label PDX sticks on their own games.

Games like Civ and MoO are considered grand strategy games, AFAIK.

The point is that I don't think the omission of tactical combat has to do with the grand strategy genre.

It's more that Paradox games are more hands-off than most.

Games like Civ and MoO are considered grand strategy games, AFAIK.

I never played either, but wouldn't they be labeled as 4X games? Or would you say 4X games are grand strategy by default?

The point is that I don't think the omission of tactical combat has to do with the grand strategy genre.

It's more that Paradox games are more hands-off than most.

I don't play enough games of that sort to be able to disagree with you. ;)

I never played either, but wouldn't they be labeled as 4X games? Or would you say 4X games are grand strategy by default?

I can't immediately recall a 4X game that I wouldn't consider grand strategy :)

I don't know the official definition, but I would consider any game that involves governing entire nations or worlds quite "grand" in terms of strategy.

Mostly 'Grand' strategy means you have to take care of other systems like economy, diplomacy, intelligence, etc. Sure most strategy games have some sort of resource management, but to be considered 'grand' they have to be similar in depth and importance as the combat systems.

Mostly 'Grand' strategy means you have to take care of other systems like economy, diplomacy, intelligence, etc. Sure most strategy games have some sort of resource management, but to be considered 'grand' they have to be similar in depth and importance as the combat systems.

Source for this definition?

Source for this definition?

Got it from the wiki for Grand Strategy, not saying it's the Oxford definition or anything, but sounds about right to me:

Grand strategy expands on the traditional idea of strategy in three ways:

expanding strategy beyond military means to include diplomatic, financial, economic, informational, etc. means
examining internal in addition to external forces – taking into account both the various instruments of power and the internal policies necessary for their implementation (conscription, for example)
including consideration of periods of peacetime in addition to wartime

Sounds reasonable enough, though I would still consider the scope of the game more relevant than the detail of the systems. That said, I tend to be a bit literal when it comes to words and their meaning.

I'm leery of games that promise to do too much too soon. I would prefer a tighter focus initially with gameplay expanded outwards civilization style in the form of expansions. Time and reflection helps the iteration process hugely.

But on the other hand they are experienced developers so probably misguided doubts on my part.

I've yet to really like one of their games, except perhaps the first Europa Universalis. I always loved the concepts of their games a lot more than actually playing them.

Then again, I'm not crazy about making limited adjustments to the same formula and releasing it as a new game over and over and over.

Same developers as Europa aye. Well I probably wouldn't enjoy it, there games are very samey. I get why game developers are so risk averse but new ip demands that you take some new creative direction. Not sure these developers can or want to.

Back
Top Bottom