This is why game makers want a slice of the console markets

Damian Mahadevan

Keeper of the Watch
Original Sin Donor
http://www.destructoid.com/most-pirated-games-of-2011-include-crysis-mario-gears-218757.phtml

Top PC Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2011
1.Crysis 2 (3,920,000)
2.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (3,650,000)
3.Battlefield 3 (3,510,000)
4.FIFA 12 (3,390,000)
5.Portal 2 (3,240,000)

Top Wii Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2011
1.Super Mario Galaxy 2 (1,280,000)
2.Mario Sports Mix (1,090,000)
3.Xenoblade Chronicles (950,000)
4.Lego Pirates of the Caribbean (870,000)
5.FIFA 12 (860,000)

Top Xbox 360 Game Downloads on BitTorrent in 2011
1.Gears of War 3 (890,000)
2.Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (830,000)
3.Battlefield 3 (760,000)
4.Forza Motorsport 4 (720,000)
5.Kinect Sports: Season Two (690,000)

PC games have like 4 times the piracy of console games and sell less than console games. It is also why there are much more drastic measures to prevent piracy on the PC.

This isn't new. I thought this was obvious since several years now.
But it is good that we finally have some data now.

Yeah that is why i posted it. :) I believe that the kind of piracy protection games like Diablo 3 will have will be what saves the pc gaming industry.

No. FBI agents showing up at people's homes, kicking the 12 yr old punks in the face, slapping them in handcuffs AND seizing all the property invovled, ala drug arrests will change it all. Parents will actually pay attention to their children and what they're up to at that point. Fear is what makes people change habits.

The asset seizures are the most important part. Make sure it involves everyone living at the property, and I guarantee you'll see a change in internet thievery. Practically overnight.

-Carn

Oh look more data from a site that claims to support private sharing. Just face the fact there will always be piracy no matter what a company tries to. Yes that includes Daiblo 3. Ive grown tired of the endless discussions on this topic.

Here let me explain with this funny little video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

Its copying not stealing you fools.:p

Last edited:
Diablo 3 is very hard to pirate, i have tried to pirate the closed beta...

Diablo 3 is very hard to pirate, i have tried to pirate the closed beta…

Well the emulator is ready we just have to wait to get the data to be able to play it. Give it a year are so. Just like WOW.;) It just will take time and effort. Which most pirates don't have.

I love reading the comments in torrents sites there hilarious. But enough about piracy we will get flagged if we keep talking bout it.

As I once wrote within my "A Thought" thread, I would like to do a freeware game having a simple CD-ROM (or whatever) disc check - it wouldn't even matter what would be in the drive - just to see how Pirates would crack - and thus pirate - a Freeware game ... And then try to sell it (yes, these types of people do xist ! There are books being sold through Amazon Marketplace which consist of nothing but copied & pasted Wikipedia articles ! - Not sold by Wikimedia !)

Oh look more data from a site that claims to support private sharing. Just face the fact there will always be piracy no matter what a company tries to. Yes that includes Daiblo 3. Ive grown tired of the endless discussions on this topic.

Here let me explain with this funny little video-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeTybKL1pM4

Its copying not stealing you fools.:p
Oh no, not that tired old excuse again. Sigh :(

Okay once again: "If I steal your bicycle you have to take the bus. la la la la la". Yes well, no one in in their right mind is actually arguing that the little round plastic disc and the box it is kept is what you buy when you pay for a game. What you do is you reward the many people who have worked on the game by contributing to their salary when you purchase the game. No money is given when you steal (e.g. shoplifting in the store), copy or pirate the game, thus the end result is the same no matter what you chose to call it.

I really wish people would stop trying to hide behind semantics based on faulty logic.

Oh no, not that tired old excuse again. Sigh :(

Okay once again: "If I steal your bicycle you have to take the bus. la la la la la". Yes well, no one in in their right mind is actually arguing that the little round plastic disc and the box it is kept is what you buy when you pay for a game. What you do is you reward the many people who have worked on the game by contributing to their salary when you purchase the game. No money is given when you steal (e.g. shoplifting in the store), copy or pirate the game, thus the end result is the same no matter what you chose to call it.

I really wish people would stop trying to hide behind semantics based on faulty logic.

You wish people would think the opposite but its not going to happen is it. See how that works. Its a digital code with no physical item being stolen. You can say what you want but the prehistoric thinking on file sharing needs to change.

I'm not here to debate if its right or wrong just the context people think it is. That is the problem.

Also please don't get me started on inflated loss numbers. When most people who pirate don't give a damn and were never going to buy the product anyway. Now go ahead and counter I know you want to.

http://www.destructoid.com/most-pirated-games-of-2011-include-crysis-mario-gears-218757.phtml

PC games have like 4 times the piracy of console games and sell less than console games. It is also why there are much more drastic measures to prevent piracy on the PC.

I feel that I need to point out a small thing.
"The data for these estimated download numbers is collected by TorrentFreak from several sources, including reports from all public BitTorrent trackers. "

That is from the Torrentfreak article, the destructoid used as a source.
What does this mean? Simple. Those numbers don't include private trackers (which any competent P2P user, that uses torrents would use). Or the biggest number inflation, direct downloads from file sharing sites (like, megaupload, mediafire, rapidshare, etc).

It's same as the articles that point out how much a certain game sold, ignoring the fact that its only tied to a specific region or that Digital Download numbers aren't included.

So yea…

Here a Little news piece that shows how the developer's feel. Lets start with Ubisoft.

Ubisoft Director Backtracks On Piracy Complaints After Public Lashing
from the this-is-getting-old dept

Thanksgiving week was not a good week for Ubisoft Shanghai creative director Stanislas Mettra. When asked if a PC version of the game I Am Alive would be coming, he responded that it wouldn't because of piracy.

It's hard because there's so much piracy and so few people are paying for PC games that we have to precisely weigh it up against the cost of making it. Perhaps it will only take 12 guys three months to port the game to PC, it's not a massive cost but it's still a cost. If only 50,000 people buy the game then it's not worth it.

This statement and one about PC gamers "bitching" got the gaming press and PC gamers all riled up. Very soon the news was everywhere that Ubisoft, the company pushing always on DRM and complaining about piracy on the PC at every turn, was at it again. This bad publicity led to Mettra backtracking on his comments.

What I meant is that the pc version did not happen yet [sic]. But we are still working to see the feasibility of it, which is not necessarily simple. I gave some examples to illustrate the problematic [sic], but obviously it is not in my hands and not my part to talk about this.

Although he attempts to avoid the topic of piracy specifically in his retraction, he still leaves the reader with the same message, PC gaming is a losing venture. Is this in the Ubisoft training material or something? Are they trained to believe that the PC is rife with piracy and that it should be treated with the utmost contempt and caution? It wasn't that long ago that other Ubisoft developers were complaining about the same thing.

I would be happy to leave this discussion at that if it weren't for the comments from a few other developers that same week on the very same topic. While Mettra believes the problem lies with piracy and the lack of paying customers on the PC, these other developers came to a very different conclusion. First we have Devolver CFO Fork Parker speaking about the PC version of Serious Sam 3:

Piracy is a problem and there is no denying that but the success of games like Skyrim and our own Serious Sam 3 on PC illustrates that there is clearly a market willing to pay for PC games, It's on the developers and publishers to put something out on the market that's worth paying for in the first place. Those that place the blame on the consumer need to rethink the quality of their products and the frequency in which they shovel out derivative titles each year.

The other side of the equation is the distribution model. In games, we have amazing PC digital download services like Steam, Get Games and Direct2Drive doing the same thing for games that iTunes did for music. Offer the consumer a variety of great digital content at a reasonable price and the majority will happily pay for the games that suit their tastes.

Here is a developer who recognizes that the market for PC games is ripe for the taking. Gamers are willing to buy quality product. If the game fails to turn a profit it is not the fault of the gamer or the pirates, it is the fault of the developer and publisher. If they take advantage of the services that PC gamers use to distribute their games, they will see a return on that investment.

Next we have Valve's CEO, Gabe Newell, speaking on the subject once again.

We think there is a fundamental misconception about piracy. Piracy is almost always a service problem and not a pricing problem. For example, if a pirate offers a product anywhere in the world, 24/7, purchasable from the convenience of your personal computer, and the legal provider says the product is region-locked, will come to your country three months after the U.S. release and can only be purchased at a brick and mortar store, then the pirate's service is more valuable.

Most DRM solutions diminish the value of the product by either directly restricting a customer's use or by creating uncertainty.

I know we quote Newell a lot when the topic of game piracy comes up, but his comments are always relevant. He is a man who gets it. He has learned that the battle with piracy cannot be won through the use of DRM, region restrictions or any other restriction that you can throw at the customer. This is something that Ubisoft has continually failed to learn. If you want to succeed in PC gaming, you need to bring the games to where the customers are, make them available and restrict them as little as possible. When you do that, honest customers will support you.

Really Ubisoft, this is getting old. I feel like a parent scolding his child for the 20th time about hitting his sister. You think the child gets it after the first time and that the second time is an honest mistake. But, when the child continues to hit his sister, you need to take drastic disciplinary action. What will it take to get the message through to those in charge at Ubisoft? Gamers want your games and will buy them, but you have to provide the service they want. That is the only way you will succeed.

Amen to that Mr Newell and Parker.

You can say what you want but the prehistoric thinking on file sharing needs to change.

The video makes an argument about the duplication of digital media where you take one copy and create another copy from that copy and since the new copy is added to the world and the old copy remains in the hands of the person who allowed their copy to be copied, no one suffers damages.

Wrong argument. If the creators of the 'master copy' are not being compensated when a copy of their work is duplicated, then a theft has occured. Their damages are the unrealized revenue from the copy that is created.

The video is a sign of the times - where even simple distinctions between right and wrong are lost on a crowd of people where the bottom line is that they just want something for nothing using a battery of red-herring arguments to justify their behavior.

I know we quote Newell a lot when the topic of game piracy comes up, but his comments are always relevant. He is a man who gets it. He has learned that the battle with piracy cannot be won through the use of DRM, region restrictions or any other restriction that you can throw at the customer. This is something that Ubisoft has continually failed to learn. If you want to succeed in PC gaming, you need to bring the games to where the customers are, make them available and restrict them as little as possible. When you do that, honest customers will support you.

Yeah, if he was right TW2 would have sold a lot on GOG right? no DRM, really good price, a perfect service in every way.....

The only reaction was wow this is so easy to pirate, and it sold like crap on GOG.

Got another argument?

I think gabe has the answer actually, sell the game on steam, people get achievements they can connect with their friends, they can see how long they spent in the game? they can save in the cloud, share the screens and videos with their friends and so on.

The video is a sign of the times - where even simple distinctions between right and wrong are lost on a crowd of people where the bottom line is that they just want something for nothing using a battery of red-herring arguments to justify their behavior.

Yes it is it a draw back to making games go digital. Bottom line is its easy and convenient that's the reason people do it. Its not going to stop or go away.

Its like drug dealing you stop one and two more popup. That is the reality people have to accept.

Till then I enjoy these little arguments that go around in circles with no winner.

Till then I enjoy these little arguments that go around in circles with no winner.

To 'win' this argument is easy. Choose to live life with integrity. Choose to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

To 'win' this argument is easy. Choose to live life with integrity. Choose to do the right thing even when no one is looking.

This is something that disturbs me about human nature...it seems that without the fear of repercussion, a lot of people appear to have no guilty conscience in doing the wrong thing "when no one is looking." We aren't talking about murder or life and death of course, but it's still immoral behavior to steal.

There must be some guilt involved however; otherwise pirates wouldn't be spending so much time and effort in making theft seem completely justified and "not wrong" through the usage of complicated, winding arguments that ultimately carry little truth or logic.

Yeah, if he was right TW2 would have sold a lot on GOG right? no DRM, really good price, a perfect service in every way…..

The only reaction was wow this is so easy to pirate, and it sold like crap on GOG.

GG, what are you talking about? Almost every newsbit I've ever read on GoG and TW2 sales has been a vindication as to what they did.

Here's one of the many newsbits on GoG and TW2. It's from last November:

For the first six months following launch CD Projekt shifted 35,000 copies of the game digitally through GOG.com, which it owns. GOG.com sold the second most units across all platforms.

Top was, of course, Steam. More than 195,000 units were sold through Valve's digital platform. All other digital distribution outlets combined sold approximately ten thousand units.

In total, The Witcher 2 sold nearly a quarter of a million units digitally.

"The digital sales of The Witcher 2 have exceeded our expectations," CD Projekt boss Marcin Iwiński said.

It's only a matter of time before piracy is all but eliminated.

But it won't change that greed is the ultimate motivator behind the financial support required for development. So, while we may get more games on our platform of choice - they won't really be our games of choice.

Naturally, the PC platform has advantages that's about something else - more specifically the powerful hardware. But that's only really relevant when current-gen consoles fall behind after a few years. The next consoles will likely match current hardware - at least in terms of end-result based on the nature of single-platform development.

So, we're left with the interface advantages and the perceived audience preferences. That counts, to be sure, but I wouldn't fret over it. The only thing I care about is the art - and I don't see how piracy affects it.

Back
Top Bottom