PC Gamer - Jennifer Hale Interview

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Jennifer Hale was interviewed on PC Gamer to talk about her career in voice acting and the characters she wants to play. I found it interesting but some of you might not.

You've talked before about the rigid adherence to the script that was required for Mass Effect. Was there any ad libbing here? Do you have a preference?

We are dealing with a different technical setup so there's more room to play around a bit. I like the collaborative nature of that and the potential that polishing things in the moment brings.

Do you have a favorite type of character or subject matter?

Anything with a cool dev team, anything outside of what people are expecting from me

How has video game voice acting changed in the past few years?

I've seen a fantastic evolution as the visuals have progressed, we as actors are able to bring the acting style along to one that's more film-like, less pronounced. It feels more honest to me and I'm loving where it's headed.

What kinds of characters do you wish there were more of in video games?

Average people doing extraordinary things, women playing an even greater variety of roles, though that's changing. Some body types that are more normal and less fantasy/perfection based. Games have a tremendous amount of potential to make the world better and I look forward to how they do that.
More information.

I have always loved her voice acting ... fun interview. I think that as games rely more on acting and visuals, having good voice actors really makes a difference.

Jennifer Hale is incredible. She's a real force for change. My partner's got a serious thing for her. ;)

Reading the list of her works is pretty impressive, both for quality and range of roles.

Yes, she is quite incredible. She is the one who made FemShep real for me.

Just coming back from work conference where Tara Moss talked about the storytelling of different gender, I thought of FemShep/Jennifer Hale. Technically Shepard regardless of gender should be telling the same story but it felt so different to me. Having FemShep there really adds diversity in story telling, something I really appreciated :)

Back
Top Bottom