Hunted: The Demon's Forge

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I was surfing the web and came across this little interview from Gamasutra with Matt Findley, inXile entertainment's president. He goes on to show how the people in charge of making rpgs have no clue on how to make one.

It's interesting to hear someone with an Interplay background say, "Really, what we always wanted to do was make an action game."

[laughs]

I'm not saying you're lying or anything. It's a little bit of a surprise.

Look back at the history of fantasy action. There's not that many representations of it. You play games like Hexen and Heretic, which were essentially Doom shooter games that hinted at fantasy, but they didn't really fully deliver on that experience.

We just think you can have these rich worlds, tell deep, meaningful stories, and have all these elements of exploration, and wandering through dungeons, finding loot and going on quests for enchanted weapons — all of these paradigms that would be in those other types of fantasy games work equally well in an action game.

There's kind of this convergence across all games where the genres are really getting blurred. Like, I don't think people playing BioShock realize they're playing an RPG. Or even in Grand Theft Auto, you go into the weight room and pump up your character. There are all these elements of your character getting better. That's what those games are really about. It lends itself to the action genre just as well. You're starting off with really weak weapons. You're finding better ones, better pieces of armor. You're getting more hit points on your character. You're getting the ability to store more mana.

You know, that phrase "RPG elements", it's become beyond trite. It's almost like saying "game elements".

Exactly. It's the simple principle of your character starts off weak, and they become more powerful. And that's really what it's all about, whether it's, you know in the weapons you use, the magic you're using, and just the characters' strength itself. You start off, and you're weak, and you find things that make you stronger throughout the course of the game.

The article has started a huge flame debate here is some of the feed back.

The comments made by inXile's Matt Findley in his Hunted: The Demon's Forge interview on Gamasutra aren't going over too well with long-time PC gamers, as demonstrated by the blogged responses left by Rampant Games' Jay Barnson and Armchair Arcade's Matt Barton. Let him have it, Jay:

If you want to work less and make more money by making an action game, that’s FINE – just don’t imply that fans of more traditional RPGs are just too stupid to recognize the genius that is the action genre. Dude, I lived in arcades during my formative years. I was addicted to Asteroids and Pac-Man long before I discovered Ultima. I’ve spent half of my career making action games for consoles. I was FTPing Doom the day it was released. Oh, and I was playing action-RPGs before anybody decided to draw a border between the two – back when it was stuff like Gateway to Apshai.

I’m not ignorant of the virtues of action games, nor am I too old and slow to have a great time playing them today. And yet I still crave a good, stats-heavy, turn-based RPG. Regularly. I am so grateful to indie game makers and places like GOG.COM that provide me with more games like this – old and new – than I have time to play.

Because obviously the mainstream games business is too screwed up to make something like this ever again.

And then Matt lays it on even thicker:

Weather: unpleasant. News: funny, unless you were looking forward to Shunted: The Demon's Hemorrhoid.

Anyone have doubts that Hunted: The Demon's Forge is going to suck? Just read this awful interview with Matt Findley. Here's the line that really kills me: "Well, you know, we analyzed the long history of video games. I think these games always wanted to be action games at their heart. I think all those old turn-based games, it's just that's all the technology would allow." Ugh, ugh, ugh. Ugh. Ugh. It's okay, Matt. I'm sure Hunted will be a wonderful game…for us to take turns pooping on!

Moral of the story? Making ridiculous suggestions that are literally offensive to long-time fans of your previous company is not a good idea when you're trying to promote your next game.

See this is why I despise the larger developers nowadays and always have a cynical attitude toward any new game. They no longer care about there old fans or customers anymore. It would help if the devs could take there heads out of there asses and listen to the older fan-base. I'm talking to you Bioware as you just shrug off any criticism and dont listen.

What does everyone else think? Post your opinions and let the debate begin.

I'll hold my final judgment until the game ships. Brian Fargo's the CEO over there, so I feel some modicum of faith is warranted.

I doubt Hunted is meant to be an RPG. It's marketed as an action game.

I agree to Gorath.

To me, it looks rather like an Hybrid. I played it a little bit at the RPC, and I found it much rather to be an action game - a kind of a co-op shooter - than an RPG.

There might be RPG parts in it, yes - but i didn't see them.

But that was partly because I just couldn't handle those BEEEEEP console controls !!!

Last edited:
I agree to Gorath.

To me, it lokks rather like an Hybrid. I played it a little bit at the RPC, and I found it much rather to be an action game - a kind of a co-op shooter - than an RPG.

There might be RPG parts in it, yes - but i didn't see them.

But that was partly because I just couldn't handle those BEEEEEP console controls !!!

I hear yeah as I said before I'm not to good at gaming on a console controller. It just pisses me off that people who make ours games have lost touch with the genre. Maybe its time to invent new rpg sub-categories to classify the new games coming out.

See this is why I despise the larger developers nowadays and always have a cynical attitude toward any new game. They no longer care about there old fans or customers anymore. It would help if the devs could take there heads out of there asses and listen to the older fan-base.
Wait… what!?!? I'm reading that as "ignore your customers unless they have bought your older games" - is that right?? I suppose it would be possible to make a specialty company that just does one kind of game and keeps improving on it but the size of your fanbase is going to do nothing but shrink over time if you don't start catering to new customers. If you do a good job you can keep your company going bust until you retire but I sure can't blame BioWare for not following that track.

By the way, I purchased this for the Xbox because I'm always on the lookout for a good co-op game to play with my wife. And I just wanted to say: As most folks predicted, this game is most definitely NOT an RPG.

However, I am finding it fun as hell, both in single-player as well as co-op mode. It starts a little slow and my initial reaction was sort of, "Meh", but as I get deeper into the game I find myself really getting engrossed in the well-implemented dungeon crawl (we solved a couple puzzles last night that left me really satisfied) and I'm really digging the combat now that I've unlocked a couple abilities. This is probably the most fun implementation of an archery system I've played in a video game.

I won't go into any more details because this just isn't the place, but if anybody is thinking of getting this as a non-RPG purchase to scratch an action-fantasy itch, then this RPG fan's verdict is that you can jump in, the water's fine…

As Gorath said. which is why we never covered it in detail.

And I thank you that the game is a flop. Reviews for the pc version have been harsh while the console are average.

I thought Gamespot stopped being relevant a couple of years ago. ;)

The review sounds overly harsh. Many others say it's a lot of fun.

Back
Top Bottom