PC Gamer - Misogyny & Video Gamers

Are dwarves going to petition to maintain that advantage?

Be careful, currently dwarves are not on the mainstream percieved minority help list. If you make cracks about them, the other percieved minority defenders will attack you for detracting from their own cause. :)

First, there are very few reasons to ever make death threats period.

Now that is out of the way I am not sure what her cause is or better said what she hopes the out come will be. The world doesn't need more censorship or laws to police us.

As an adult I can or should be able to pick and choose what I watch, read or play. I am sure she or anyone can find millions more books with this sort of graphic portrayal of woman.

Also, and not saying this is right or wrong as it is not up to me to say. A lot of these games this is how woman are treated in the real world or have been in history.

Anyways anyone that gets involved in cause should be ready for any sort of feedback good or bad.

As an adult I can or should be able to pick and choose what I watch, read or play. I am sure she or anyone can find millions more books with this sort of graphic portrayal of woman.

Companies tend to cave to squeaky wheels, but the reality is most people don't want any of this crap. I don't need political reeducation crammed into my entertainment, thanks.

I have to admit that I never played any of the Tomb Raider games, because I thought I'd feel very silly in the role of a protagonist, Laura Croft. Mostly, because she is sexualized. It feels very "cheesy".

Companies tend to cave to squeaky wheels, but the reality is most people don't want any of this crap. I don't need political reeducation crammed into my entertainment, thanks.

Wow. I didn't realize I was "political reeducation crammed into your entertainment". I thought I was a person, for the longest time. Thank you for putting me back in my place. I'll never hope to see another member of my gender in a prominent role in a game ever again.

And women are half the population. I'm assuming you mean, all women and some men? Or all men and some women? Figures, or it didn't happen.

Wow. I didn't realize I was "political reeducation crammed into your entertainment".

I thought I was a person, for the longest time. Thank you for putting me back in my place. I'll never hope to see another member of my gender in a prominent role in a game ever again.

And women are half the population. I'm assuming you mean, all women and some men? Or all men and some women?

You have a choice of whether to play a game or not. Instead of making that choice you try to get the game changed, even though you don't actually play the game. Yes, that's exactly what political reeducation is.

It's not that you WANT games of one type, you want to PREVENT the POSSIBILITY some type is made at all! I find that to be pretty disgusting, especially since it's all harmless crap in the first place.

Your post and its dramatics just show how ridiculous all this really is. None of this can stand up in light of day, you just bully people into going along or they are a horrible sexist racist homophobe.

You have a choice of whether to play a game or not. Instead of making that choice you try to get the game changed, even though you don't actually play the game. Yes, that's exactly what political reeducation is.

It's not that you WANT games of one type, you want to PREVENT the POSSIBILITY some type is made at all! I find that to be pretty disgusting, especially since it's all harmless crap in the first place.

What is disgusting, to me, is saying that half of the population doesn't deserve to be represented fairly - and respectfully. In some middle eastern countries, a lot of men consider it disgusting when a woman doesn't cover up every inch of her body, including her face.

And I don't know about changing "a game". But I know there's a lot of people trying to change the culture of the industry to reflect reality, and to reflect tolerance and respect. If that threatens you, then it's clear what kind of human being you are.

Wow. I didn't realize I was "political reeducation crammed into your entertainment". I thought I was a person, for the longest time. Thank you for putting me back in my place. I'll never hope to see another member of my gender in a prominent role in a game ever again.

And women are half the population. I'm assuming you mean, all women and some men? Or all men and some women? Figures, or it didn't happen.

I believe you took that way too personally when you didn't have to. I strongly disagree that it is "your" gender if your wording was meant as possesive. You do not speak for half the human race. Sometimes in an attempt to promote "equality" there is demands by percieved minorities that they want to be MORE than equal. Its a free economy in a free world. If the market exists for whatever your fantasy game with perfect gender equality and sexual orientation options exists.... some company will fill that market.
Until that time it doesn't make the rest of the people that play straight single gender games some sort of social monster. And it wont make them monsters when they choose not to play said game if it is released.
I can imagine the uproar from every percieved minority defender if people were posting on a site of a female dominated GAME saying that they are offended and wanted it to be a male role.
You live in a time when you can choose and do anything! Choice... amazing concept.

If that threatens you, then it's clear what kind of human being you are.

Even if it did threaten him (which he didn't say), it in no way defines him as a person. How is that any less sexist and narrow-minded than whatever you are trying to rail against. I dont believe he personally called you out and informed you of what type of negative human being you are.

Can't people take an argument at face value and debate the idea rather than jumping straight to unmerited personal attacks?

The problem is that some in this thread view the current state of women in gaming as entirely a 'natural evolution' rather than being rife with systemic harassment and the worst sort of 'bro code'. Here are two very simple, and basic facts:
- Sexual harassment and the creation of hostile environments by male gamers against female gamers is rampant, and accepted by the community. It is the fault of the women for not being able to 'toughen up', rather than the harassers for their actions. This is consistent with the well-documented 'rape culture' in the US.
- Sexual harassment and a hostile workplace has led to a REDUCTION of women working in video game hardware and software companies in tech-centric over the last 30 years in spite of multitude programs in place to encourage STEM education for girls.

The reality is that:
- Nearly half of the GAMING population is women.
- Nearly half of households have a woman as the MAIN purchaser of games.
- The negative impact of gender disparity has been recognized as a concern and there has been considerable work done to detail the issue.

Does this mean that the industry should artificially force female types into games? No. Companies make products to make money, and as long as their formula works they will continue churning out brain-dead 'bro-shooters' one after the next. Women in companies who suggest otherwise are ridiculed and harassed and driven out (again, well documented), and women online who suggest this isn't the 'best thing ever' are harassed and have death threats against them ... or just told to play Nancy Drew games or some other equally brain-dead sexist thing.

Naturally things are not so simple, and not every male player is guilty of creating hostile play environments, nor are these problems easily fixed. But pretending that there are NOT systemic problems doesn't help.

Oh - and it really isn't just about video games ... look at baseball. There was the incredible girl pitcher at the Little League World Series last month who ended up on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She was one of two girls in the entire cast of hundreds of kids ... and it is not because of talent, but because of verbal abuse, harassment and bullying by kids and very often parents. My younger son had a friend with cancer (and a grandfather dying of Leukemia) when he was 10 and decided to grow his hair out for 'Locks of Love', which makes wigs from donated hair that has to be at least 8" long. Oh the harassment he took - mostly from adults, entirely from guys.

People should really just worry about their own house wholes and not worry about what everyone else is doing. Unless it is something illegal.

If you don't like something no one is forcing you to buy it, read it, eat it etc.

Another thought ...

What about woman only gyms?

Just sickening how some want it everyway as long as it is their way only.

What is disgusting, to me, is saying that half of the population doesn't deserve to be represented fairly - and respectfully.
So you should have veto power over the content of culture, and no one else should have a say.

In some middle eastern countries, a lot of men consider it disgusting when a woman doesn't cover up every inch of her body, including her face.
What's disgusting is how much like you they are, telling people what to do and trying to control every aspect of their life and scoiety.

And I don't know about changing "a game". But I know there's a lot of people trying to change the culture of the industry to reflect reality,
No, trying to change society to be as they like it. However who made them God? Like I said, disgusting, pathetic.

and to reflect tolerance and respect. If that threatens you, then it's clear what kind of human being you are.

Like I said, nothing but bullying. Go along with everything I say or you are a criminal.

Political correctness already ruined 90% of movies and TV, now you want to ruin all games as well. Then you will call men who don't buy retarded nonsense david gaider makes now racist mysoginists. You are nothing but a bully and I am so sick of this thought police BS that has overtaken the world.

I say it's fair, therefore good enough. I say games like DA are not fair, therefore we should ban them? That's the same 'logic' you use, unfortunately it doesn't stand up to anyone willing to refute it and get called names (as you immediately did).

Funny part is the same people then have the nerve to talk about trolls and cyberbullies :lol:

I remember back when Master of Magic was new there was controversy there, too. The nagas showed a one pixel nipple. People really concerned about this crap to the level they go on a tirade about the obviously tongue in cheek comedic nonsense of tomb raider or innocuous stuff like that are just mentally ill. Most pathetic of all is almost all the criticism is by people who never played the games in question, they are just drones who have been worked up by rhetoric to attack anything male oriented on site.

Since then it has only gotten worse at light speed, probably because it became more 'mainstream' so there's way more tards exposed to it. Plus all the activism today has shady funding from creepy corporate overlords trying to push shady agendas. Most of these people probably think they are being a revolutionary or something, when The Man is the financier pushing them into their silly activities :lol:

At least in the past these loonies so concerned about morality were concerned about real morality, and not some marxist agenda to disenfranchise as many people as possible.

I believe you took that way too personally when you didn't have to. I strongly disagree that it is "your" gender if your wording was meant as possesive. You do not speak for half the human race. Sometimes in an attempt to promote "equality" there is demands by percieved minorities that they want to be MORE than equal.

To really get to say everything everyone puts into literature or writes is to demand Godlike power, and that is what political correctness is all about. Nothing to do with the matter at hand so much as a way to completely control everyone.

If you're female and want to play in mixed company, come and join our DDO sessions where nearly half the regular players are women. We all enjoy playing together with total respect on both sides.

Political correctness already ruined 90% of movies and TV, now you want to ruin all games as well.

Political correctness must hurry up because there wont be much left to be ruined in the gaming world.
If political correctness manages to ruin it win the current state of affairs, the achievement should be noticed and distinguished.

What is disgusting, to me, is saying that half of the population doesn't deserve to be represented fairly - and respectfully.
That is a matter of representation. Glad it is told. At last.

Does this mean that the industry should artificially force female types into games? No. Companies make products to make money, and as long as their formula works they will continue churning out brain-dead 'bro-shooters' one after the next.

What the industry could do is to return to the basics: making games about gameplay. Avatars do not matter in this context.
But that would mean infuriating all the players who come to gaming for other things like story and representation. Which makes up for a large bulk of their customers, men or women alike.
It is also easier to write less than average stories (since video games stories are at best mediocre) and asking people to vote with their wallet to support this or that representation than working on a properly working gameplay.

The problem is that some in this thread view the current state of women in gaming as entirely a 'natural evolution' rather than being rife with systemic harassment and the worst sort of 'bro code'. Here are two very simple, and basic facts:
- Sexual harassment and the creation of hostile environments by male gamers against female gamers is rampant, and accepted by the community. It is the fault of the women for not being able to 'toughen up', rather than the harassers for their actions. This is consistent with the well-documented 'rape culture' in the US.
- Sexual harassment and a hostile workplace has led to a REDUCTION of women working in video game hardware and software companies in tech-centric over the last 30 years in spite of multitude programs in place to encourage STEM education for girls.

Natural evolution isn't "fair or just" - it's just natural. Human beings are naturally ignorant - and it's not the natural state of man to be altruistic or selfless, which is what you're asking for.

You could say we're all suicidal and psychotic, because we're pretty much all contributing to worldwide pollution. We're all mass murderers because we drive cars or we eat meat.

You can't look at how things have evolved and correlate that with the actual intent or wish of all the people currently living under those circumstances.

You might as well accuse everyone of what the people in control are doing - or what the few are doing.

The reality is that:
- Nearly half of the GAMING population is women.
- Nearly half of households have a woman as the MAIN purchaser of games.
- The negative impact of gender disparity has been recognized as a concern and there has been considerable work done to detail the issue.

You can't pretend that "gaming" is all the same thing and expect to be taken seriously. Playing Solitarie isn't the same thing as playing Skyrim. You have to be awake when you consider these things - and reality is never that clear-cut.

Gender disparity is a NATURAL evolution - and NOT every single male gamer wants the disparity in question.

They're also not OBLIGATED to change it, because THEY'RE not responsible.

Women are the ones who didn't want to nurture - and that's understandable. From nature, men provide and women nurture. I don't have to provide proof of that, do I?

But the human race decided to go against nature - and we've decided to eliminate the natural differences between the sexes as much as we can. To an extent, that's probably good - but it's not natural.

Please note that I'm not saying nature is right - because I definitely don't think it is. I think we're way beyond nature in terms of potential.

You're asking every single male gamer to take a stand for the female gamer, but you're not providing an incentive that corresponds with human nature.

It's like asking all the rich people in the world to give their money away to the poor. Would that be wonderful? Indeed. Would I want that to happen? Sure. But I could never expect it - and I would never call every single rich person in the world cruel or selfish.

Does this mean that the industry should artificially force female types into games? No. Companies make products to make money, and as long as their formula works they will continue churning out brain-dead 'bro-shooters' one after the next. Women in companies who suggest otherwise are ridiculed and harassed and driven out (again, well documented), and women online who suggest this isn't the 'best thing ever' are harassed and have death threats against them … or just told to play Nancy Drew games or some other equally brain-dead sexist thing.

You're generalising again - and you're painting a stupidly simplistic picture of nothing but "bro-shooters". It's never going to work until you start dealing with reality - and you start opening your eyes to games that are completely different. Take a look at Last of Us or Bioshock Infinite - and recognise some extremely powerful female roles - whether they're the main protagonist or not. Huge games with HUGE investments behind them.

Naturally things are not so simple, and not every male player is guilty of creating hostile play environments, nor are these problems easily fixed. But pretending that there are NOT systemic problems doesn't help.

Now you're getting somewhere. But you're still not seeing this from both sides. You're completely one-sided and you're exaggerating everything you say.

You're PRETENDING to see things both ways, but you constantly dismiss the other side. It's obvious.

Oh - and it really isn't just about video games … look at baseball. There was the incredible girl pitcher at the Little League World Series last month who ended up on the cover of Sports Illustrated. She was one of two girls in the entire cast of hundreds of kids … and it is not because of talent, but because of verbal abuse, harassment and bullying by kids and very often parents. My younger son had a friend with cancer (and a grandfather dying of Leukemia) when he was 10 and decided to grow his hair out for 'Locks of Love', which makes wigs from donated hair that has to be at least 8" long. Oh the harassment he took - mostly from adults, entirely from guys.

You know this isn't necessarily sexism. It's human cruelty and stupidity - and that's not gender related. Women are, by nature, physically weaker than males - and they present easy targets. That's not sexism - that's exactly the same as the strong male against the weak male. Well, it's not NECESSARILY sexism.

If a human male decides to use the female sex against her, it's not necessarily about "sexism" - it's often simply incidental because it's a convenient excuse or opportunity to behave in that way. Bullies don't really care who the target is or what sex they have - they just want someone weak to suffer.

You can't live in this black and white fantasy and paint with these broad brushes. It's not going to help you to understand how the world works.

many guys have a problem playing a female character. It is easy enough to diagnose, really … but that doesn't make it less true.

Its not true. I know men (not myself) who in fact prefer playing females. Because they prefer watching female hero - for obvious reason. The point is they DONT care much. They dont care for any gender or social or other crap, they care for gameplay. So as Fluent rightly said, it depends on the game.

Also I never saw men/boy boycott Tomb Raider. :) Incidentally I saw few boys playing this game recently. They are into military stuff like most boys, dont like "girly" things. But they had no problem playing female. If they like the game they will play it.

Mass Effect, a multi-million copy seller for each iteration, has collected statistics and only 18% of gamers chose female Shepherd.
And the reality is there are so few female-centric action, shooter…

And? Your statistics gives you an answer why there is so few female-centric action games. Or not?

DArtagnan said:
You know this isn't necessarily sexism. It's human cruelty and stupidity - and that's not gender related. Women are, by nature, physically weaker than males - and they present easy targets. That's not sexism - that's exactly the same as the strong male against the weak male.

Exactly. Everyone who is different and/or look to be "weak" in something (like awkward introvert, physically weak, look "poor" (non-branded clothes and similar crap)).. is usually easy target for idiots. Actually this bully can be worse for males than for females. Most ppl, either male or female, are not comfortable when someone is too harsh on female or harm them. Its not acceptable. And usually other girls or your boyfriend will stand for you if you are female. But males usually dont have such support from other males nor girlfriends. They have to deal with that mostly/often alone. That can be very hard in some circumstances.

When female cries, someone tries to help. Its acceptable in society as "call for help". But for men its unacceptable. Even small crying boys are mocked sometimes by other kids. BTW I wonder why those "equalizers" dont fight for equality in such cases…

Back
Top Bottom