RPGWatch - Gothic 2 D3D11 Renderer

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Fluent tries out the new D3D11 Renderer for Gothic 2, and shared his thoughts in a new article. Don't forget he could also use your help on his Patreon Page.

Pretty graphics! We all love them (some of us more than others), but we can’t deny the fact that the graphical look of games, as shallow as it may be, determines some level of our enjoyment of a game. Personally, I can handle any style or look of graphics, from games played in MS-DOS, to more modern titles that look graphically impressive, such as a modded version of Skyrim. All good games can be further enhanced by quality graphics, and what we have today is an impressive undertaking by a modder who wishes to breathe some new, graphical life into one of our beloved RPGs from yesteryear.

That modder’s name is Andre, aka Degenerated. The game – Gothic II. Interested yet? You should be!

Andre has singlehandedly taken a game that, in my view, already looks beautiful, and has attempted, with much success, to ‘port’ this game to modern hardware, in the modern graphical framework known as DirectX11. In other words, he’s taken the base game of Gothic 2 and given it a graphical upgrade that is only capable by using DirectX11, rather than the older, more dated DirectX version that Gothic II used.

In short? The game looked good, it looks even better now. Best of all? It runs flawlessly on modern hardware once again, as though the game were just released in 2015! This is a large achievement, and one that I certainly wanted to cover a bit here on the ‘Watch.
More information.

The first link is broken, it just refreshes the article page.

The first link works for me with no problem Corwin.

I think he's talking about the link in the article, that says 'If you'd like to follow the project...'. That one doesn't seem to work.

It's the link you provided with the article fluent. After looking it's broken.

Update: They appear to work now so it's corrected.

Sorry, but that link to follow the project is definitely NOT working for me. If I click on it, it does nothing; if I highlite and copy it into a new tab it just shows up as the article here.

Ah, finally it worked. Thanks Fluent.

Now, could we get someone to translate it all into English so that language challenged persons (such as myself) can understand what's in their forum!! :)

Update: Seems you got it to work now.:)

As for translating the forums just use Google it works for me.

Yeah, I'd suggest using Google Chrome. Just right click and click 'Translate'. :)

I'll have more updates for this as time goes on. Andre is already hard at work on Version 8 and has a lot of nice upgrades. I will probably showcase the mod more in my current Let's Play of Gothic II that I'm doing on YouTube. :)

Version X8 was just released. If you download it, you'll get the features that I showed off in my video, as well as:

Re-enabled Animated textures
Fixed bug when loading a suppressed texture
Player-Startpoint is no longer visible
Summoned creatures are no longer invisible
Fixed particles looking strange and being buggy
Magic-Effects now working!
Reduced distance popping by applying a Risen 3-like filter
Only looking shadow-frustum when not using filtered shadows
Fixed shadows noticeably dissappearing in the evening
Clouds are now moving
Shadows will now gradually fade out in the distance
Added "Enable Editor Panel" to General-Settings, so it doesn't interfere with capture software

Here is the release page on the forum - http://forum.worldofplayers.de/foru...a)-7/page6?p=24029802&viewfull=1#post24029802

I'll post updates that I observe soon as I get to play the mod a bit more and see what's what! ^^

This really does make the game look quite pretty. Love that draw distance!

Can't enable vsync, even when forcing it through AMD drivers. Apart from that, it looks amazing and the performance is great. Awesome project!

edit - ok, vsync is working but I've noticed a bug in X8. NPCs mouths are not moving during dialogs! Can anyone confirm?

Last edited:
Looks good. Thank you for sharing Fluent. Although i think you are overdoing it a bit with words like, look how beautiful that water is :biggrin: ;)

I love this. Probably going to be part of the GOG stickies etc. Thanks Fluent!

Can't enable vsync, even when forcing it through AMD drivers. Apart from that, it looks amazing and the performance is great. Awesome project!

edit - ok, vsync is working but I've noticed a bug in X8. NPCs mouths are not moving during dialogs! Can anyone confirm?

That is a confirmed bug. Andre knows about it and is trying to fix it, but apparently it's not an easy fix thus far.

And you guys are very welcome! I'm just happy to share this wonderful project and try to get some awareness for it. It's an important work, I feel. Keeping Gothic 2 alive going forward is a great thing. :)

Does Degenerated have a patreon page? :biggrin:

The draw distance is much further, looks great, and tessellation is already in. :)

Is the draw distance really that much further and does that look good at all? Could something like tessellation be a feature with this? :)

Alright, answered my own questions by watching the video, lol. And the answer is yes on both counts. Pretty cool. I never played Night of the Raven...

Back
Top Bottom