Dragon Age: Inquisition - New Updates

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
OnlySp has rounded up a few more Twitter, and forum posts this time from the executive producer of Dragon Age: Inquisition Mark Darrah.

According to Mark Darrah, the executive producer of Dragon Age: Inquisition, most of the buildings will be enter-able in Dragon Age: Inquisition. The Twitter user asking the question compared the game to Skyrim in terms of entering buildings and if Dragon Age would be similar.

On the Dragon Age: Inquisition forums, we’ve also learned some new details about the character development in Dragon Age: Inquisition, which is actually a very interesting read. Matt Rhodes explained in the forums that in a lot of games, if you strip down the character to its base model, most will look quite similar from one another. According to Rhodes, that won’t be the case in Dragon Age: Inquisition. You can read his full response just below.

"For those who are interested, we have been very calculated when it comes to engineering our characters imperfections. The development process has a built in erosion mechanism: many stakeholders in many review meetings tend to trim away a characters humanizing flaws and oddities, leaving little more than “pretty” and “safe” . Strip and shave most game characters today and you’d be hard pressed to tell most of them apart. We’ve worked very hard on Inquisition to safeguard our characters from this erosion process. We want to give them more identity than just their clothes, hairstyle and makeup. It’s our hope that after you’ve spent some time with them, our character’s will be as inseparable from their quirks, flaws and oddities as your own friends and family are from theirs."

Source.
More information.

According to Mark Darrah, the executive producer of Dragon Age: Inquisition, most of the buildings will be enter-able in Dragon Age: Inquisition.
Okay.
Now what exactly is different from 13 years old Gothic where you couldn't enter only totally destroyed buildings that were nothing but a pile of stones?

Okay.
Now what exactly is different from 13 years old Gothic where you couldn't enter only totally destroyed buildings that were nothing but a pile of stones?

Or Baldur's Gate?

However, being able to enter every building is not necessarily a good thing. That works fine with small settlements, but this kind of thing may be a problem with big cities, meaning that making this a feature may prevent you from ever developing large cities that feel believable and alive.

I am actually taking this as another piece of indirect evidence we are NOT going to have any real cities in DA:I, and that Redcliffe village and similar-sized settlements (and keeps with a market stall or two) are probably about it.

I never considering entering most buildings a necessary or even a desirable
quality in a RPG. Certainly not in Baldur's Gate. In Gothic all npcs had their
own homes and settlements were very small, so it worked.

I never considering entering most buildings a necessary or even a desirable
quality in a RPG.

I do. It has a big effect on the interactivity of the game world. One of my pet peeves is having a big city but can't go into any of the houses. I like to be nosy and explore everyone's private dwelling :D.

I do. It has a big effect on the interactivity of the game world. One of my pet peeves is having a big city but can't go into any of the houses. I like to be nosy and explore everyone's private dwelling :D.

same. except for the nosiness part. Many times I don't even go into homes unless there's a reason for me to be there (apart from stealing) but knowing I can makes a big difference.

I personally like it if you can enter houses.

But I don't like it when you can freely roam around with its residents standing there ignoring you. For example in Witcher 1&2 you just enter their homes and they're doing nothing although a white haired, creepy-eyed man armed to the teeth just entered their living room. That breaks immersion.

Of course it's not easy to implement realistic behaviour for all NPC, but in the case of entering homes, they should just politely ask to leave and if you don't go they should call the guards.

How does Skyrim handle this by the way? Already forgot.

How does Skyrim handle this by the way? Already forgot.

People don't care until they see you stealing their stuff from what I remember. I know that I have no issues wandering around castles and unlocked houses with people in them even if they don't know me.

The stealing thing I remembered, yes. And also the bucket-on-head-glitch. ;)

IIRC the Gothic & Risen did quite well, where the residents sent you away and even attacked you.

Back
Top Bottom