Rediscovering JRPG

DEFINITELY grab the DS remake, it's wonderful.

It keeps the general feel of the original but the updated visuals and VOICED cut scenes really do make this game easily comparable to any modern JRPG as far as storytelling depth is concerned. It just makes it all the more dramatic and absorbing. And they polished up the script as well.

Also, the DS remake keeps the high difficulty level of the original Japanese release - if I'm not mistaken the US version was an easier version - I like a little challenge in a game, otherwise it's just an interactive novel :)

Ohwell. No time for a RPG until summer though and I have some others that go before, but I keep it in mind.

It must be hard to be a console RPG player who doesn't like JRPGs. Prior to the Xbox/PS2, there were almost no Western style RPGs for console systems.

Things were very thin, in the Xbox years. RPGs dropped at the rate of about 1 per year. Unless I'm forgetting something, over the 5 years of the console's lifecycle, there were only 4 WRPGs: Morrowind, Arx Fatalis, KOTOR, and Jade Empire. At the time, I didn't think of myself as an RPG lover. If I had, I probably would've gone nuts. Can you imagine waiting a year between RPGs? Actually, what would've happened is that I would've ended up gaming on the PC, like you guys. But I did not think of myself as primarily an RPG gamer at the time; that only came relatively recently.

2010 looks fantastic, though. We have 8 WRPGs scheduled on the 360, plus the DA expansion, plus the granddaddy of all JRPGs (FF), plus an also-ran JRPG or two. So we've gone from 1 RPG per year to just about 1 RPG per month. Famine to feast. Now it's more a matter of trying to figure out how I'll find the time to play all these RPGs …

[…] Anderson, if you haven't you should definitely give Persona 4 and Rogue Galaxy on the PS2 a try, they're excellent games. Also picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner 2 for the PS2 recently and that is also a good game (so far).

I'll keep those RPGs in mind, Relayer, if I get another PS2. I never did try them. Chances are I wasn't in a very receptive frame of mind, though, so even if I did, I probably would've blown them off. I remember trying out some of the more famous JRPGs on the system — a couple FF titles, Dragon Quest 8, Dark Cloud 1 and 2, a Suikodin, and Kingdom Hearts. I was pretty new to gaming at the time, and I had played only a few WRPGs (see above), and my initial reaction was "What is this kiddy crap?" I didn't like the turn-based combat, random encounters, the childish characters, and the awkward dialog. I wasn't able to look past that stuff until many years later, when I tried (and enjoyed) Lost Odyssey.

I only played about 3/4 of the way through LO, though. A number of factors there. The story started to deteriorate at that point. I like games that allow me to Save anywhere, but in some cases, LO's Save points were an hour apart or more. Things started to feel kind of repetitive, and I heard that things were about to get difficult (not as in "challenging," but as in "lots of backtracking and time-consuming searching ahead"). So at the start of disc 4, I stopped. But I did enjoy the game quite a bit, for most of the time prior.

I liked the combat. I liked most of the characters. I appreciated that the main character was a grumpy malcontent, not a "tough" but effeminate teenager. I liked the somber themes, e.g., immortals who felt cursed to be that way. Although I skipped through some of the written stories, that was a nice artistic touch.

I am hoping they announce a sequel.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom