2- A deep maze that's fun to explore
3- Solid combat mechanics
That's pretty much it.

If we're serious, then:

1 - Magic, or at least something magical, is an important part
2 - A world where the effects of said magic are actually considered
3 - Interesting politics, not just "teh orcz is evulz!"

1. Non-trivial "magic" loot drops.

I'm sick and tired of constantly fiddling with inventory every ten minutes when a ring with +2% more resistance is found (for example). Somewhere someone decided that this Diablo kind of constant loot management was "fun" and I'm sick and tired of it. DA2 did this, DA:O did this, and Two Worlds 2 is full of this with "upgrades"

2. Some kind of "mana" based system

Don't want to spend totals of hours running back and forth to safe resting zones to reset spells. It works in a real world table top setting with a human DM, but having to shepherd your characters back and forth over the same ground to avoid random encounters is horrible after several hours.

3. A good stary that's not centered around the MC saving the world. Again.

I'm all for the original list, minus dragons. I just can't bring myself to like dragons unless they glitter, and that just because I like all that glitters. And I'm quite serious about this.
So, what would be my No. 3 awesome feature for Fantasy cRPGs? Hmmmm … I like exploration, changing weather and day-night-cycles, but I already have that in Minecraft which is (not yet) a cRPG, so I'm going to add 'Dwarvish architecture'. I love the steampunkish Art Deco style game designers have been associating with the word 'Dwarf' for decades.

PS
Did I mention that Minecraft reminds me of Arena and Daggerfall ... and a lot at that? I don't know exactly why, but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

I was seriously ironic and honestly curious. Told you I was bad at english, sorry for the misunderstanding. Trying to record the most wanted features, actually.

Maylander found something I did not think about : magic ! How could I skip it ? This is a problem because I really wanted a "top three" list and this one could not "not be" in it. But I do not want to leave the others. Very embarassing. But it is usually here without the need of any request. We should find some others and sort them to make a final list.

What about :

-_- The Top Ten Features Of An Awesomey Fantasy-RPG -_-

1- Magic (to be cast + fireball) !
2- Dragons (that can be killed by PC) !
3- Riding horses (or ponycorns? as an ultimate mount, maybe) !
4- Romance (lonely boys, you know…) !
5- ?
6- ?
7- ?
8- ?
9- ?
10- ?

The correct sequence has to be found too, of course. We are trying to help game developers. And Bioware. With a list they would just have to check. Now, what about… elves ?

[edit] Jaz : me too ! Minecraft has this Daggerfall scent on it. Mount & Blade too. RPG + procedural generation as a basis of a good recipe, I would think.

Last edited:
PS
Did I mention that Minecraft reminds me of Arena and Daggerfall … and a lot at that? I don't know exactly why, but I'm sure I'll find out sooner or later.

It does have that sort of vibe. Maybe it's the graphics (ok, full 3D instead of sprite3D) mixed with the open-worldyness?

"awesomy"
+1

1. Interactive game world & Objects (sorry, guess that's really 2 things in 1 point)
2. Discovery (meaningful, continuous, and fun throughout entire game)
3. Intricate & Meaningful Character Development

Come on, people. I am taking notes, here. Entries have to be credible. For instance, I do not think "choices and consequences" is a valid entry (so… RPGcodexy). Therefore, I have put aside sophisticated proposals (I am looking at you, mister JemyM !), too generics ones ("challenging combat" for instance, or "strong/epic storyline") and too sarcastic ones also. "Fantasy-RPG" specific as far as possible, please. Why fantasy ? we could enlarge to "RPG", but I think fantasy-RPG are still "master standard" today and through history.

I have had some other ideas I have crossed out, like "HP&mana regeneration", or "munchkinism" because it is too much "mechanisms", not enough "settings" (I am not sure of that word actually : I mean "the world the game is set in, the story that unfolds", not "File menu -> Settings/Options").

Selection done. The current contenders, from what I read here :

- homosexuality
- hair styles
- mazes or a BIG one
- levitation
- HP&mana (mechanism ? but it is very "fantasysch")
- interactive objects (mechanism ? but Ultima VII, people, none did this in a modern settings)
- phat loot (mechanism ? but Diablo ! Wasteland and Fallout did not have those)

I add :
- orcs (from Tolkien's to Dragon-Age's type)
- elves
- companions
- Gender choosing (mechanism ?)

Should some of these enter the top-ten ?

As you see, I am not so sure myself as to what should or should not be discarded (I may have discarded some that did not deserved it). Need your help, friends.

(arr, why is english so difficult to write ? as I wrote, please, correct me)

Last edited:
- homosexuality
- hair styles
- interactive objects
- mazes or a BIG one
- levitation
- HP&mana (mechanism ?)
- phat loot (mechanism ?)
Mazes are too general imo, I´d put sewers there instead. A lot of´em.
Also, giant rats, ffs. How come no one has mentioned them yet? Dragons have NOTHING on these.
And while hairstyles are definitely important, realistic hair physics is even more so, I´d put it right below homosexuality.

Very interesting answer, thank you.

I have been thinking about what I am really looking after, here. And found something to help us discarding or not a proposal. We have to think this : "if an AAA+ fantasy-RPG was lacking the feature <insert my idea here>, would it be demanded by the fans ?".

So, if Skyrim Age III did not have giant rats or sewers, would they be requested ? not so sure, not so sure… well. Sewers, maybe ? Let us add sewers to the list. Giant rats… let me think… if not rats, it would be giant worms.. that could be summarized as … oh, what is the word. "junk critters" ? no. I have read it somewhere. Not sure it is relevant, though. hmm…

@Thrasher : I thought the bread could be put in the "interactive objects" category. Is it wrong ?

Come on, people. I am taking notes, here. Entries have to be credible. For instance, I do not think "choices and consequences" is a valid entry (so… RPGcodexy). Therefore, I have put aside sophisticated proposals (I am looking at you, mister JemyM !), too generics ones ("challenging combat" for instance, or "strong/epic storyline") and too sarcastic ones also. "Fantasy-RPG" specific as far as possible, please. Why fantasy ? we could enlarge to "RPG", but I think fantasy-RPG are still "master standard" today and through history.

I have had some other ideas I have crossed out, like "HP&mana regeneration", or "munchkinism" because it is too much "mechanisms", not enough "settings" (I am not sure of that word actually : I mean "the world the game is set in, the story that unfolds", not "File menu -> Settings/Options").

Selection done. The current contenders, from what I read here :

- homosexuality
- hair styles
- mazes or a BIG one
- levitation
- HP&mana (mechanism ? but it is very "fantasysch")
- interactive objects (mechanism ? but Ultima VII, people, none did this in a modern settings)
- phat loot (mechanism ? but Diablo ! Wasteland and Fallout did not have those)

I add :
- orcs (from Tolkien's to Dragon-Age's type)
- elves
- companions
- Gender choosing (mechanism ?)

Should some of these enter the top-ten ?

As you see, I am not so sure myself as to what should or should not be discarded (I may have discarded some that did not deserved it). Need your help, friends.

(arr, why is english so difficult to write ? as I wrote, please, correct me)

Wait you forgot the all important rule of any rpg . Every character must be bi-sexual and swing both ways. Now give a kiss with a wig on blonde preferably.:smitten:

18f8gjpng2.png

I had to.

Back
Top Bottom