Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

Pretty sure it's an EE issue. I've re-entered several times to find the flail parts I forgot. In fact, I've been frustrated several times when I forgot it as a Fighter, because Fighters can't re-enter the "same" keep - it's an entirely new area then, and the containers are empty.

Edit: It could still be related Nalia's quest though, as I only do that 1 out of 10 times I play the game or some such thing. It's pretty rare.

Thanks, purpleblob! So there's still hope :). I really hope it works!

I'm currently in
the Shade Lord's temple
and it's freaking fantastic man. This game may go down as my favorite game of all-time. It's seriously great.

It could be just a rumour… Don't trust on it!! I heard the same thing about

Watcher's keep side entrance

Could be all lies!!

Maylander: Do you mean that you can access the keep as a non fighter before leaving the area after you are done with the quest? I don't usually take Nalia around myself so I can't remember clearly, but I think I couldn't get into the keep either straight after I've handed in the quest to captain outside or after I left the area.

You could also cheat your way in by teleporting to the area in question. Every area has a code, so it's fairly straight forward. Or you could just spawn the item in your inventory with the save game editor.

Maylander: Do you mean that you can access the keep as a non fighter before leaving the area after you are done with the quest? I don't usually take Nalia around myself so I can't remember clearly, but I think I couldn't get into the keep either straight after I've handed in the quest to captain outside or after I left the area.

I'm a very fast, sloppy gamer, so I often forget stuff. I've re-entered after completing the quest quite a few times, and I've been frustrated by the changing of the area almost as many times due to being a Fighter (or similar, like Monk). The keep remains a ruin with any loot or corpses or trolls/yuan-ti remaining if you're not a Fighter, but turns into this clean, nice place with empty containers and no corpses if it's the class stronghold.

UPDATE
I happen to have a ton of different save games on various computers available, so I just fired up several of them.

Using BG2: EE I found the following:
Paladin with Nalia in the party, final chapter of the game, Nalia's quest completed:
Bumped into a guy called Quint Roenall at the gates of the castle, claiming I did not belong there. The side entrance was still open, but could not be entered.

Sorcerer without Nalia in the party, final chapter, Nalia's quest untouched:
Entered the castle without problems. Loot still present in the containers.

So it seems it's related to Nalia's quest. It has nothing to do with the EE. Also, this means that even completed Nalia's quest won't change anything - you'll still be locked out.

Basically, you now only have two options if you want the flail as far as I can tell: Spawn the item, or cheat travel to the original Keep zone.

Last edited:
Basically, you now only have two options if you want the flail as far as I can tell: Spawn the item, or cheat travel to the original Keep zone.

So, how would I spawn the item? I have all 3 heads, so I'd like to spawn whatever item uses all 3, if possible?

The easiest way is to simply remove the 3 items and then use a save game editor to add "Flail of Ages +3" in your inventory. Make sure you don't actually add the +4 or +5 version, as that's a ToB item and would be somewhat unbalanced.

Edit, here's the save game editor:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/eekeeper/

Thanks for the update, Maylander :)

I'm currently in
the Shade Lord's temple
and it's freaking fantastic man. This game may go down as my favorite game of all-time. It's seriously great.

Yeah I loved that quest/area too. Yes, BG2 is definitely worthy as favorite game of all time! :)

Indeed, it probably is for me. Gothic 2 (w/NotR) is the other one at the very top for me. Hard to say which is my all time favorite, but it's certainly one of them.

Just wanted to double check, but nothing crazy is going to happen when I use the savegame editor, right? Any bugs/problems I should be aware of? Or is it completely safe?

Also, a gear question. If a piece of armor says something like this:

Armor Class: 3 - (1 vs. crushing, -2 vs. slashing)

versus something like this

Armor Class: 2 (5 vs. crushing)

Does the second example mean that it provides no protection against slashing?

I'm wondering this because I have some new armor that offers different benefits vs. crushing, slashing, missile, etc. I'm wondering if a piece of armor that offers slightly lower armor class than another piece, might not actually be better because it doesn't offer protection for slashing, for example. Know what I mean?

Any thoughts on this?

Last edited:
I've never encountered anything. To be safe, stick with the editor's suggestion for new save game name (after you're done adding the item).

I've never encountered anything. To be safe, stick with the editor's suggestion for new save game name (after you're done adding the item).

Thanks, I did that and it's working great. That flail is beastly :).

Also, a gear question. If a piece of armor says something like this:

Armor Class: 3 - (1 vs. crushing, -2 vs. slashing)

versus something like this

Armor Class: 2 (5 vs. crushing)

Does the second example mean that it provides no protection against slashing?

I'm wondering this because I have some new armor that offers different benefits vs. crushing, slashing, missile, etc. I'm wondering if a piece of armor that offers slightly lower armor class than another piece, might not actually be better because it doesn't offer protection for slashing, for example. Know what I mean?

Any thoughts on this?

Anyone have any clarification on this? Is lower AC always better, or are there trade-offs for various protection categories?

Lower AC is better and you can go negative.

As far as different categories it's kind of weird. I could be a bit off on this as it has been awhile but if memory serves it should work like this:

AC determines if you get hit (THAC0) system) and resistance to damage kicks in if damage roll succeeds. Taking say 10% less damage is arguably less useful than getting hit at all, though some of it depends on the THAC0 of the monster in question. If they're going to hit you anyway it's better to take less damage obviously.

Lower AC is better and you can go negative.

As far as different categories it's kind of weird. I could be a bit off on this as it has been awhile but if memory serves it should work like this:

AC determines if you get hit (THAC0) system) and resistance to damage kicks in if damage roll succeeds. Taking say 10% less damage is arguably less useful than getting hit at all, though some of it depends on the THAC0 of the monster in question. If they're going to hit you anyway it's better to take less damage obviously.

Right. Thanks!

That second example simply means that it has an AC of 5 vs crushing and an AC of 2 versus everything else.

Ah, okay, that makes sense. Thanks!

Others have already answered your question but here is my contribution:

http://www.gamefaqs.com/boards/75251-baldurs-gate/49677617

Thanks, purpleblob. Between this link and the other answers in this thread I think I have it figured out.

Do any other classic RPGs use this D&D system? Just curious. Also, is this 2nd Edition D&D system outdated now? Does anyone still use it or has everyone moved on to the newer rules?

I can't lie, I kinda like it the more I learn about it.

Thanks, purpleblob. Between this link and the other answers in this thread I think I have it figured out.

Do any other classic RPGs use this D&D system? Just curious. Also, is this 2nd Edition D&D system outdated now? Does anyone still use it or has everyone moved on to the newer rules?

I can't lie, I kinda like it the more I learn about it.

Most people have moved on to D&D 3+ Editions. In fact, 5th Edition was just released - but I'm not familiar with it.

I hated 4th Edition with a major passion - so I've stopped caring.

Personally, I think 3.5 Edition is the best D&D by a WIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIDE margin - but only a small handful of games use it.

As for 2nd Edition, Icewind Dale uses it (the first one).

I do believe all the Goldbox games use 1st Edition - but the rules are quite similar, except the Goldbox games only use a fraction of them.

I'm way too fuzzy on Dark Sun and the Ravenloft games to remember what they're using.

Eye of the Beholder games might use 2nd Edition? Damn, I'm old :)

Afaik, BG 1&2, IWD, and Planescape:Torment are the only modern crpgs that use AD&D 2nd Edition rules. If you can still consider the IE games to be modern. :)

Yeah, I can't think of any other games. NWN uses 3rd edition and NWN2 uses 3,5.

Back
Top Bottom