Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

Together with ToB it's indeed called the Bhaalspawn Saga.

Very cool, I didn't know that.

I have a question about Armor Class.

I'm deciding whether to buy the Bracers of AC 3. I'm wearing Bracers of AC 8 on my character, so obviously this would be an upgrade, right? When I equip the Bracers of AC 3, though, my total AC doesn't go down, it stays at -1. I'm talking about the AC listed in the box to the left of the defensive stats.

Now, to the right of that box it says Armor Class 3 when I equip them (when I equip the Bracers of AC 8 it goes back to 8), so I'm not sure what to think here. Are these really an upgrade, or am I missing some subtlety with the way armor class works?

I can't really answer that, I'm not familiar with how these things work either. I don't usually give AC bracer to any class that can wear armour, it's more for casters (mage/sorcerers) who cannot gain extra armour bonuses.

I'm deciding whether to buy the Bracers of AC 3. I'm wearing Bracers of AC 8 on my character, so obviously this would be an upgrade, right? When I equip the Bracers of AC 3, though, my total AC doesn't go down, it stays at -1. I'm talking about the AC listed in the box to the left of the defensive stats.

Now, to the right of that box it says Armor Class 3 when I equip them (when I equip the Bracers of AC 8 it goes back to 8), so I'm not sure what to think here. Are these really an upgrade, or am I missing some subtlety with the way armor class works?

I'm fuzzy on 2nd Edition specifics, but IIRC Bracers of X AC will set your AC to that amount - and magical bonuses might not stack. Which means if you have an armor that gives you better protection, the game should ignore your bracers. However, if you bracers are better (overall) - the game might ignore your armor.

Also, I do believe some classes just won't benefit from any kind of armor at all, like the Kensai (IIRC).

All of this is based on extremely fuzzy memory :)

Bracers are have the same armor catogery as regular bodey armor like plate armor and you onely get the efect of the best in every catogery

Feels like both games could just be combined into one huge game called the Baldur's Gate Saga. :)

For the original games, there is a mod called the Baldur's Gate Trilogy that does just that.

Thanks for the responses. I'm pretty sure I understand now. The reason my armor class wasn't going down was because I was wearing actual armor that was better than the AC of the bracers.

I will put the bracers on a caster. Thanks again for the help :).

Indeed, bracers with AC are pretty much only useful for people who can't wear proper armor. Get some gloves of dex, strength or damage/attack increase instead. :)

Indeed, bracers with AC are pretty much only useful for people who can't wear proper armor. Get some gloves of dex, strength or damage/attack increase instead. :)

Oh yeah, I love finding gauntlets like those :). BG2 is delivering highly in the loot category. Best loot system since Diablo if you ask me.

Quick loot-related question:

I found 3 flail heads in the De'Arnise Keep. One is acid, one frost and one fire, I believe. I don't know what to do with them. I suppose I need the handles but I'm pretty sure I scoured the keep thoroughly and didn't find any handles. Are the handles in the keep somewhere but I just missed them? I don't want to know the exact location if they're not in the keep, just want to know if they are there or if they can be found somewhere else. Thanks! :)

Somewhere in the keep, you will be able to forge them into actual weapon ;) and later, elsewhere to upgrade the weapon. You don't need handle, just the heads

Do it. It's one of the game's best weapons.

That's it, Fluent has got me all excited to finally fire up my BGII Enhanced Edition that I got as a gift last year.
I needed something to play as I wait for Divinity:OS to patch up a little more and couldn't make up my mind, now I have :)

That's it, Fluent has got me all excited to finally fire up my BGII Enhanced Edition that I got as a gift last year.
I needed something to play as I wait for Divinity:OS to patch up a little more and couldn't make up my mind, now I have :)

Have fun! It's an amazing game. Albeit a little overwhelming.

I can't seem to enter the keep anymore. The side entrance doesn't appear and the nobleman at the gate tells me the keep has been taken over by others :(. I guess I have to follow through with Nalia's questline in order to get back in…

Edit - I furthered the quest. If she joins my party again, will I have access to the keep? I think I want to keep Jan Jansen in the party because he's awesome :D. But if Nalia allows me to go back to the keep to make that special weapon, I will have her join for awhile...

Last edited:
Your PC is a Ranger, right? If so, then:

Once you've cleared the keep (kill Torgal the troll) then you are finished with keep unless you are a fighter class. You can't access the keep anymore, so you can safely ditch Nalia for Jan.

Did you end up making 3 headed weapon (Flail of Ages) before you finished the keep quest? You can't upgrade it further in the keep beyond 3 heads, it will be upgraded elsewhere. If you haven't upgraded it to 3 heads till now, I'm afraid you might have to reload the game :(

Well, unless he's already had her in the party long enough to trigger her NPC quest (the one involving the corrupt son of the Lord who is now the owner of the keep). I hardly ever bring Nalia anywhere, so I honestly don't remember if it's possible to re-enter the keep at this point. I actually think it isn't, as it should now be occupied by the Renaults or Ronalds or Rowlands or Ronaldos or whatever.

Maylander:

Fighter gets access to keep as a part of stronghold quest, so only then you can re-enter the keep ;) otherwise Nalia's rival family takes over the keep. If you aren't the fighter class, then Nalia will just say mercenaries will only bring on more war and it's better to move on with her life.

I am well aware of that. I've completed it several dozen times. However, if you are not Fighter, and you bring Nalia in your party, she still has a unique character quest. This quest involves the son of Lord Douchebag and lots of roaming around in Athkatla.

Normally, re-entering the keep after clearing it as a non-fighter is not an issue. I've done that many times. In fact, there are still trolls in the region north east of the castle after you clear it. However, Fluent claims there are now guards present preventing him from doing so. I assume it's related to the fact that he's had Nalia in his party for too long, so she's triggered her quest and thus the Renaults or whatever have now actually moved into the keep.

Like I said, I rarely bring Nalia, but it sounds plausible. I do know she has a quest involving the Renaults.

Edit: Wait a minute, is this the EE? Maybe the rivals actually move in right away there. I've never checked. That could very well be it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm locked out of it, because the rival family moved in. The side entrance doesn't glow and the drawbridge is up with a nobleman saying I can't go in. Oh well. Guess I'll sell the flail heads :(

There's one way to get into keep if you aren't fighter (a bit of cheating) but not sure it it can be done in BG2:EE. I don't think you can get into a keep otherwise even if you clear out Nalia's rival family out of the keep.

if you get mouse over the side entrance, you will see tiny little gap and your mouse icon will change to interaction one instead of a hand. I've never tried it myself but apparently some people have

Also, Maylander, sorry, I forgot you are BG2 expert too :p

Back
Top Bottom