Baldur's Gate Noob Questions

It is, but I ditched that party member now :D. She was evil alignment, so I figured I would stick with a good party and not worry about her quest.

I'm pretty sure I remember Nalia being some type of neutral alignment. Chaotic neutral maybe?

I really advise you to follow the Hexxat quest in another playthrough. There's one or another surprise. ;)

And it's true what purpleblob said. There are so many great possible companions in the game that it's not possible to enjoy all of them in a single playthrough. You need to replay (someday). If you know for sure that you won't have a certain NPC in your party in any playthrough, I'd pick up that guy, do the quest and dump him afterwards.
Myself I normally go with either a good or a bad aligned main character and chose the 5 similar aligned NPCs that I feel like taking the most.
But it is generally possible to take characters of differing alignments. Without to spoil too much, I just say that not in any case turns out well.

A reason for another playthrough is, that depending on your main character's class, you get some additional… erm… things to handle. You'll see when you get there.

Another advice is that you should spend the most time in chapter 2. Do all and every side quest you want to do, it's the perfect time to roam around. If you like, I could give some more details, but this would spoil a little, not the content of the plot, but the "structure" of the game.

And it's true what purpleblob said. There are so many great possible companions in the game that it's not possible to enjoy all of them in a single playthrough. You need to replay (someday). If you know for sure that you won't have a certain NPC in your party in any playthrough, I'd pick up that guy, do the quest and dump him afterwards.
Myself I normally go with either a good or a bad aligned main character and chose the 5 similar aligned NPCs that I feel like taking the most.
But it is generally possible to take characters of differing alignments. Without to spoil too much, I just say that not in any case turns out well.

A reason for another playthrough is, that depending on your main character's class, you get some additional… erm… things to handle. You'll see when you get there.

Another advice is that you should spend the most time in chapter 2. Do all and every side quest you want to do, it's the perfect time to roam around. If you like, I could give some more details, but this would spoil a little, not the content of the plot, but the "structure" of the game.

No more details please :). Thanks for the advice, though. Appreciate it!

I really advise you to follow the Hexxat quest in another playthrough. There's one or another surprise. ;)

I'm actually thinking about re-loading and following the Hexxat quest instead, since the other quest isn't really timed. Why? Because the Hexxat quest seemed really interesting to me. I'm a fan of "great treasure" and I'm curious as to what's in that dang tomb :).

So, a re-load it will be. Nalia can wait :D.

Last edited:
I actually plan ahead before I even start a new BG2 character - which characters this particular character would actually interact with, and then I build my party around that. Bringing characters for a few levels here and there just doesn't make sense in BG2.

Edit: Word of warning, some evil characters will not go together with certain good characters. The interaction in BG2 actually reaches a point where they will kill each other if they're too opposed in terms of ideology.

I have to say that one thing I HATE about BG2 (and to a lesser extent BG) is that evil characters will get pissed off and walk off if you are too good (and the opposite of course). I get that it makes sense and is realistic, but man, I just can't help but play a good guy! Even when I try to play an evil character I can't. So then I miss out on the storylines/quests of the evil NPC's. Of course there is a mod that fixes that now! (Not sure if it works for the EE editions though).

I decided to keep an all good party and not let Hexxat join.

Her quest was great, though, and I'm sure there are even better quests down the line involving her, but I just can't have her join.

About to head to the keep now and do Nalia's quest. Loving this game so far, even if it is a bit overwhelming. The party interaction is great and I'm really enjoying the characters even more than I did in the first game.

Also, the amount of content thus far is insane. There seems to be unique things to find around every corner. I can definitely see some improvements over BG1 and it's still very early in the game.

Last edited:
I have to say that one thing I HATE about BG2 (and to a lesser extent BG) is that evil characters will get pissed off and walk off if you are too good (and the opposite of course). I get that it makes sense and is realistic, but man, I just can't help but play a good guy! Even when I try to play an evil character I can't. So then I miss out on the storylines/quests of the evil NPC's. Of course there is a mod that fixes that now! (Not sure if it works for the EE editions though).

Yep, I've always had that problem with Viconia as she's the only evil NPC that I really liked. Maybe I'll give that mod a try sometime.

Quick spoiler-ish question that is bugging me and I'd like answered.

Can Kagain's quest be finished without him in the party? I went into the tomb with him and found out it was plundered. At that point I had him leave the party so Anomen can join, but I see there is a quest to head into the Temple district and retrieve the book.

So, if I get the book without him, can I then go back to the Copper Coronet and give it to him to complete the quest? I would just have him join again and do the quest but he wants 500 gold and I don't want to give that to him.

I believe you can't retrieve the book without Korgan in your party (you simply can't find the book, it won't appear) :)

I have to say that one thing I HATE about BG2 (and to a lesser extent BG) is that evil characters will get pissed off and walk off if you are too good (and the opposite of course). I get that it makes sense and is realistic, but man, I just can't help but play a good guy!
No, that's not realistic. For good guys it's ok to leave if you do evil things and reputation gets low. But for evil guys it's actually perfect to have a very good reputation. Great camouflage for evil plans to take over the world and stuff. So indeed BG's reputation system is silly. In fact I've used a mod in my last playthrough here, so that a high reputation doesn't make evil party members leave (so called Happy Patch).

No, that's not realistic. For good guys it's ok to leave if you do evil things and reputation gets low. But for evil guys it's actually perfect to have a very good reputation. Great camouflage for evil plans to take over the world and stuff. So indeed BG's reputation system is silly. In fact I've used a mod in my last playthrough here, so that a high reputation doesn't make evil party members leave (so called Happy Patch).

I just completed a quest to give a boy back his teddy bear, and an evil member in my party lambasted me for it. I can see evil characters getting very fed up with good characters "wasting time" helping people, so they want to leave.

I just completed a quest to give a boy back his teddy bear, and an evil member in my party lambasted me for it. I can see evil characters getting very fed up with good characters "wasting time" helping people, so they want to leave.
Just tell that evil character that it's easy XP ;).

I wonder, if bringing back teddy bears to children wouldn't grant you any XP, would players still be willing to play a goody-two-shoes? :)

I think that's the patch I'm taking about. Any idea if it works with EE?

Just tell that evil character that it's easy XP ;).

I wonder, if bringing back teddy bears to children wouldn't grant you any XP, would players still be willing to play a goody-two-shoes? :)

Probably not.

I usually need a hope of some kind of reward to pursue a quest. In video games, being a nice guy just to do it isn't really much of a reward.

With a quest like returning a teddy bear to a child, there's always the hope that you get something in return. Maybe a family heirloom - an enchanted ring. Maybe another questline opens up because of it. Or you get some XP and be on your way.

They always have to dangle some sort of reward for me in order to want to do the quests.

Even quests that tell you beforehand, "I have nothing to give you for doing this.", there's still the hope that something will happen that makes the endeavor worth it. Maybe you meet a new party member along the way, or you kill some tough boss monster and get his unique loot.

There always has to be a carrot dangling from a stick, otherwise the game would be pretty boring. And a good game keeps you guessing at every turn. :)

What I'm loving about BG2 so far. is that it truly feels like a sequel to BG1. It's more of the same, only better.

The combat encounters for example. They seem tougher, even more tactical. It's common now to see mages in an enemy party, or shamans that have debilitating spells. The battles are tough and so rewarding when you clear an area or complete a quest.

That, and there's just a ton of content in this game. Not only quest content, but dialog content. I love the little conversations that happen with my party members, and the dialog in general is awesome. You can tell they poured a TON of work into this aspect of the game and it shows. Incredible stuff.

It basically feels like a huge expansion pack to BG1. They kept the same formula but improved it. I was expecting a different game, something that really tweaked the formula and possibly strayed from the first game, but it's not like that at all.

This game is just packed full of goodness. My only minor complaint is that there is so much content that asks you to give your immediate attention to, that it can be a bit overwhelming at times. Just exploring a section of the city and then having different people run up to you informing you of new quests; it's a bit much all at once. But when you actually take your time and follow through with a quest, it's so rewarding to complete.

Really great stuff here. I know I'm ranting a bit but it's a rant-worthy game :).

Just wondering, who did you decide to take around as your companions? :)

Just wondering, who did you decide to take around as your companions? :)

So far, my party of 5 consists of:

Myself (Ranger)
Minsc
Jaheira
Yoshimo
Aerie

I had Anomen join for a brief time, but when I refused to do his quest immediately he left the group. I also had Korgan join for a brief romp through the tombs, and then I let him go afterwards.

My next move is to head to the keep and have Nalia join to round out my party with another magic user.

I'm pretty happy with this party. We're quite a badass little group if I do say so :D.

Picked Nalia up for good as the final member of my party.

It's been rough, though. Minsc and myself are the tanks and damage dealers, basically, while the rest of the party uses ranged weapons and magic. Jaheira is a "front line" fighter as well, but she's not super effective at it. I like her because she has a decent balance of fighting skills plus magic. She's also wielding a nice little staff.

I'm absolutely loving the in depth statistics of the party members, too. Seeing character with varying stats that makes them quite unique on top of their personalities and banter. The party I have now just feels "right" and a pleasure to use. I'm really enjoying it :).

Like I said before, it's great to have that challenge right from the jump. I'm only 15 hours in and already I'm using +2 arrows and heavily enchanted items. It's really a continuation of the first game and it's brilliant how they managed that. Feels like both games could just be combined into one huge game called the Baldur's Gate Saga. :)

Back
Top Bottom