PoE Patch 1.03

Pillars of Eternity
I don't really believe in "morally correct" as everyone has different ideas of what's moral.

Not asking you to pass judgement or anything. Not sure if it's judge worthy really. Just wondered if you thought they should be paid for their work. Now I know.:)

Hmm, maybe I can find a middle ground. Perhaps if I upgrade to the Champion edition, the patch will work for me? :thinking:

By the way, saki, it's not my fault that people don't leverage themselves better. My YouTube video gushing about Pillars has over 1,000 views and close to 20 Likes. Think I accounted for a sale or two of the game? I would say so. :)

Maybe you are. I'm not saying your doing anything wrong, or I don't mean to if I am.

I just think if you like the game so much why not throw them some money? It's not a big deal or anything though.

I'm not trying to go on a crusade.:lol:

Well, I did just throw them some money. I purchased the Champion Edition upgrade on Steam. :)

Now the game is patching fine. Woot! :D

I don't really believe in "morally correct" as everyone has different ideas of what's moral.

Not asking you to pass judgement or anything. Not sure if it's judge worthy really. Just wondered if you thought they should be paid for their work. Now I know.:)

I don't have much in the way of principles, but I do think it's sensible if people pay for games when they enjoy them - and when there's a reasonable chance the developers are motivated to do more of the same thing, or something even better.

But I've seen my share of the opposite happening. As in, when I paid for games like Dragon Age and Mass Effect, I did so with the expectation that if the games ended up being successful, I'd see more of the same - perhaps even slightly improved versions of both games.

Then DA2 and ME2 happened.

Which means I directly supported the kind of direction I absolutely hate.

As such, it's a very tricky thing to support what you like.

But in this case, with PoE, I think there's a reasonable chance the success will lead to more and better games of the same nature. So, it makes a lot of sense to support it.

Personally, I'd feel slightly bad if I didn't pay for PoE - so I did. But I would never tell other people what they should feel.

Well, I take that back. The 1.3 GB download that was happening was just the extra Champion edition stuff, I think. I'm still on version 1.02. :(

Now that sucks. Fluent, have you contacted Obsidian's Support? Maybe they could change your steam key to a gog key if steam version just doesn't work.

I posted on the Obsidian - Pillars forum a few days ago, and I just emailed them today. I also had emailed them a week ago asking about the bugs in my game, but they never responded. They must be busy because no one responded on the forum from Obsidian, either.

Did you try contacting Steam Fluent? As they can probably help you also.o_O

Yeah, I contacted them a few days ago, too. I have all sorts of messages out there. :lol:

Well I would probably blame the Easter holiday weekend. As for Obsidian there probably overloaded with emails right now so they cant answer them all.

It's Easter for Poland, too and the game's forums were flooded with the complaints about the hotfix. And the hotfix was delivered only on Steam and too late for GOG to do something. And from what i know the monday after Easter is a free day, too.

GOG wasn't the only one to not receive the hotfix in a timely manner. Same situation is for the Origin and UPlay releases, but most people ganged upon GOG for not delivering the hotfix in their free time.

Well, gog.com is the No2 digital platform (I think) so it's normal that if people are ganging up on someone over this particular matter, it would be them. It is ridiculous of an idea - I mean, I would think that most people that got the game on GOG would have done so for the DRM freeness of the thing, and that is worth an extra day or two for the patch.

On the other hand, it was kinda douchey from Obsidian to release the 1.03 (or was there a hotfix for 1.03 released over the weekend I didn't hear about) on the Friday before (catholic) Easter, which is a public holiday in most of Europe. (No idea if it's the same in the US). Won't even mention that is a pretty risky move in itself, given that even if Good Friday is a normal workday in the States, I would assume that the Easter Sun&Monday are marked as holidays. No one should release patches just before a big holiday, you just don't know how it can explode in all the wrong places. I mean in the end, it was like 10 days after the release, another couple of days would have been alright to smooth everything over and ensure a proper release of the patch. No particular rush was that necessary.

That being said, I did get the 1.03 patch over from GOG yesterday - I have no idea when exactly it was made available, and how someone gave up on their holiday over to do the work (yeah, Poland is catholic I believe), or if it was all done because of the backlash from people wanting it right now - but I am grateful for it.

On the other hand, it was kinda douchey from Obsidian to release the 1.03 (or was there a hotfix for 1.03 released over the weekend I didn't hear about) on the Friday before (catholic) Easter, which is a public holiday in most of Europe.

Was it " douchey" or were they trying to be nice so people could play it on their holiday weekend?

People will complain either way, unfortunately.

For me, I worked all weekend anyway. No time for holidays if I want to be able to take my vacation in a couple weeks.

Dunno about hotfixes, on GOG only patch 1.03 is listed.

Was it " douchey" or were they trying to be nice so people could play it on their holiday weekend?

People will complain either way, unfortunately.

For me, I worked all weekend anyway. No time for holidays if I want to be able to take my vacation in a couple weeks.

Like the game was unplayable without the patch. There wasn't anything that prevented anyone from playing in the current state of the game, and everything else is an extreme over exaggeration of the point people are trying to make that Obs are able to release a bug-less game.

Obsidian did a couple of games that did not need a lot of patching (Alpha Protocol and South Park). But people love to complain. When they could, Obsidian delivered patches like there was no tomorrow (see NWN2).

I just hope that people stop complaining and start playing. The patches for PoE are retroactive for now, so there is no need to worry.

Like the game was unplayable without the patch. There wasn't anything that prevented anyone from playing in the current state of the game, and everything else is an extreme over exaggeration of the point people are trying to make that Obs are able to release a bug-less game.

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. Losing passive abilities, permanently increasing attributes and Raedric's hold were not trivial over exaggerated bugs.

Many, including myself would consider them quite game breaking.

Not sure if you've read my posts but I'm not one of the people that expects bug free games but I don't turn a blind eye to them either.

Well, we'll have to disagree on that. Losing passive abilities, permanently increasing attributes and Raedric's hold were not trivial over exaggerated bugs.

Many, including myself would consider them quite game breaking.

Not sure if you've read my posts but I'm not one of the people that expects bug free games but I don't turn a blind eye to them either.

Raedric's Hold is a side area, and perfectly skipable, as in It's not part of the critical path to finish the main quest. I do agree that it's not fun to lose progress, if a player happens to wonder in and get stuck and maybe lose some progress, if he completes the quest, gets stuck and has to restore from a suitable save or restart, but that doesn't mean the game is unplayable. And leaves something to experience on the next playthrough :)

The other stuff - not working passives and permanent stat increases, again, not fun, but not bringing the game to a state that's unplayable. It's a single player game, after all, not a problem. If someone wants to glitch his character/s to godhood, they're welcome - and btw, to get to this part, as far as I understand it, you had to deliberately go out of your way to get there.

On the general, I tend to agree with you, but still think you over exaggerate how unplayable the state of the game is/was without the patch. Could have been much worse.

Makes me wonder though what would people find to whine about next. I can't say that everything major being patched all of a sudden will stop the complaints.

Back
Top Bottom