Masquerada - A New 2.5D Isometric RPG

Thank you! Well, if we do this right, those things might be in what comes after. Assuming it adds to experience, of course. Some games have them for no other reason but for having them. Don't wanna be one of those.

Deeper character progression though? Totally into that.

I'd watch out you don't make another Aarklash:Legacy. That was an ok game, but not really that good and it suffered for having way too much combat, and way too little variety. Aarklash also had a story, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't interactive, and it made up a small portion of the gameplay. There were also riddles, which weren't bad. And there was a ton of combat. Of the 20 hours of the game, probably 17 hours of combat. Combat is fun, and I have a high tolerance for lots of well done combat. But one needs other interactive gameplay to back it up, and combat should not become repetitive. I know its a hard path to follow. I say this as someone who is principly interested in your game, but somewhat wary from past experiences.

It's -very- high praise, and we're astounded at the support and interest we've gotten so far! You can actually play the game with pause. We're planning to have auto-pause functions so you can have an experience close to turn-based. Kinda like Frozen Synapse, another lovely game.

The problem I have with RTWP is mainly that the formular isn't Difficulty vs Skill anymore but Difficulty vs Skill + frquency of pressing pause, and that there is almost no "cap" on this "frequency".

Now what I mean is: In most games, like NWN2 or Dragon Age 1 you profit massively from pressing pause. As your characters are doing abilities not at the same time, and moving your units can profit from a lot of fine tuning. So in these games, you can press the pause button every 0,3 to 0,5 seconds of "real time" and your performance in combat would still be a massive improvement to "only" pressing pause once for each second.

The only game with RTWP I enjoyed was FTL, because in FTL the usefulness of a higher Frequency is very capped. Of course you could still pause every 0,3 seconds. But as you have much fewer actions to modify (like not queueing spells, hardly any positoning) you don't get any profit from that in the majority of cases. In fact in lots of fights you could press pause once each 3-5 seconds, just to synchronize your weapon attacks and only when you have to micromanage your crew you will profit from pressing pause more frequently.

I know that lots of people enjoy RTwP, and I am probably in a rather unique position as I am playing everything on hardest difficulty and try to get the maximum out of each combat, which "forces" me in "usual RTWP" games with pause, into a gameflow which is much more stop and go / interrupting than Turnbased games could ever be.

Now my question to you is: How much will you actually profit in Masqueradas combat from "pausing" the game frequently? Will you need to fine tune positioning? Will it be necessary to cast spells in the right second? What is the cast / cooldown time of a common skill?

I'd watch out you don't make another Aarklash:Legacy. That was an ok game, but not really that good and it suffered for having way too much combat, and way too little variety. Aarklash also had a story, and it wasn't bad, but it wasn't interactive, and it made up a small portion of the gameplay. There were also riddles, which weren't bad. And there was a ton of combat. Of the 20 hours of the game, probably 17 hours of combat. Combat is fun, and I have a high tolerance for lots of well done combat. But one needs other interactive gameplay to back it up, and combat should not become repetitive. I know its a hard path to follow. I say this as someone who is principly interested in your game, but somewhat wary from past experiences.

That's a very relevant fear. I finished Aarklash and I agree with your analysis. I'm not certain on how much interactivity we can fit in, but we're going big with the story. The script sits at over five hundred pages right now, and we're paying special attention to the character story arcs.

I'm also hoping the way we intend to develop the skills system will give you something to chew on. Along with synergies and a tagging system, there should be enough give an enjoyable experience. Admittedly, it's very early.. so changes might happen.

For the record, the looting and inventory in Aarklash was what motivated me to remove it in ours. I felt it added nothing to the overall experience.

The problem I have with RTWP is mainly that the formular isn't Difficulty vs Skill anymore but Difficulty vs Skill + frquency of pressing pause, and that there is almost no "cap" on this "frequency".

Now what I mean is: In most games, like NWN2 or Dragon Age 1 you profit massively from pressing pause. As your characters are doing abilities not at the same time, and moving your units can profit from a lot of fine tuning. So in these games, you can press the pause button every 0,3 to 0,5 seconds of "real time" and your performance in combat would still be a massive improvement to "only" pressing pause once for each second.

The only game with RTWP I enjoyed was FTL, because in FTL the usefulness of a higher Frequency is very capped. Of course you could still pause every 0,3 seconds. But as you have much fewer actions to modify (like not queueing spells, hardly any positoning) you don't get any profit from that in the majority of cases. In fact in lots of fights you could press pause once each 3-5 seconds, just to synchronize your weapon attacks and only when you have to micromanage your crew you will profit from pressing pause more frequently.

I know that lots of people enjoy RTwP, and I am probably in a rather unique position as I am playing everything on hardest difficulty and try to get the maximum out of each combat, which "forces" me in "usual RTWP" games with pause, into a gameflow which is much more stop and go / interrupting than Turnbased games could ever be.

Now my question to you is: How much will you actually profit in Masqueradas combat from "pausing" the game frequently? Will you need to fine tune positioning? Will it be necessary to cast spells in the right second? What is the cast / cooldown time of a common skill?

If you've noticed in the trailer, each character has only five skill slots, so pausing all the time doesn't really add much when you have everything on cooldown. The cooldowns are substantial, it's not a spammy game. Pause becomes key when you want to pull off synergies, like tagging a foe and zapping him to produce a tag effect like 'stun' or the likes.

It's early and there's a lot of balance to be done — I've actually taken down notes from your comments and I'll bring them up when I get back from PAX. It's all good stuff. Thank you. =)

Very high expectations for this even moreso that you are taking an unorthodox route on the road to making this a quality RPG experience.

I hope you played Shadowrun Returns games. They also have pretty linear story and little inventory management and almost no loot to pick up. But through quality story they managed to make it work.

If you are going to have linear story experience I hope at least you can do like Shadowrun Return and make little cosmetic player choices through conversations. If you played first Shadowrun game: Dead Man Switch you will know what I am talking about, if you didn't go play it (only around 12 hours to finish). And if you can improve on their formula at all even without going to big non-linear results, that would be even better.

No loot and no inventory is a disappointment for me. I know new developers think they need to 'streamline' the experience by removing key RPG features, but things like loot, inventory management, etc., are a big reason why I play RPGs, and certainly a big reason why Baldur's Gate is such a legendary RPG.

This game looks good, but I'll have to wait on reviews and still, it doesn't seem like it's going to be that high on my list since it's not going to be a 'hardcore' RPG. If you add diverse loot like a Baldur's Gate game, then I will be much more interested.

Good luck with your game!

No Inventory is definitely nothing you gain sympathies with and which you should use for advertising. ^^
Personally I rather have no inventory than a bad one. E.g. I welcomed the decision in Mass Effect 2 to remove the completely and utterly useless inventory system form ME1. Of course it might have been better to fix it instead. But removing it was the second best choice.

No Inventory is definitely nothing you gain sympathies with and which you should use for advertising. ^^
Personally I rather have no inventory than a bad one. E.g. I welcomed the decision in Mass Effect 2 to remove the completely and utterly useless inventory system form ME1. Of course it might have been better to fix it instead. But removing it was the second best choice.
I don't agree with you. I found ME1 a superior game in all but graphics

Very high expectations for this even moreso that you are taking an unorthodox route on the road to making this a quality RPG experience.

Thanks! We'll do our best!

I hope you played Shadowrun Returns games. They also have pretty linear story and little inventory management and almost no loot to pick up. But through quality story they managed to make it work.

If you are going to have linear story experience I hope at least you can do like Shadowrun Return and make little cosmetic player choices through conversations. If you played first Shadowrun game: Dead Man Switch you will know what I am talking about, if you didn't go play it (only around 12 hours to finish). And if you can improve on their formula at all even without going to big non-linear results, that would be even better.

I've finished both Shadowrun games and thoroughly enjoyed them. =)

Do you mean that you're ok with a choice that feels good but doesn't change the linearity of the story?

No loot and no inventory is a disappointment for me. I know new developers think they need to 'streamline' the experience by removing key RPG features, but things like loot, inventory management, etc., are a big reason why I play RPGs, and certainly a big reason why Baldur's Gate is such a legendary RPG.

This game looks good, but I'll have to wait on reviews and still, it doesn't seem like it's going to be that high on my list since it's not going to be a 'hardcore' RPG. If you add diverse loot like a Baldur's Gate game, then I will be much more interested.

Good luck with your game!

Absolutely fair. Thanks! I hope we impress you as we continue development this year. =)

It's not about advertising, it's about being honest with what we're doing. I sure as hell wouldn't wanna pull a Molyneux. I'd much rather undersell and pleasantly surprise than overhype and disappoint.

(I agree that no inventory is better than a bed one. =P)

I've finished both Shadowrun games and thoroughly enjoyed them. =)

Do you mean that you're ok with a choice that feels good but doesn't change the linearity of the story?
Is it best choice? NO.
Is it miles better then even not having that illusion of choice? Hell yea!

If you are not able to provide true open or non-linear story, the second best option is to provide an illusion of one even if it all ends up in same place.
What Shadowrun could have done better is introduce result of some of those choices a bit later in story. DMS had like only once such. When you come to one of the murder scenes early in DMS, you can get access to body and to information from that detective in couple of ways. If you pay him off he later also calls you to inform you about next murder instead of the coroner. That was cool but these kind of things need to happen more often.
Dragonfall had these situations more often where some of the extra choices in missions would make some people pissed off or not and dependent on that you would get more missions or not.

These little things don't really change the linearity of the story but give players a cool illusion of choice even if in the end it is just cosmetic.

Edit: I loved how at end of DMS you got a couple of ways to deal with that Orc Cop that was giving you problems whole game and depending on what you chose other NPCs would comment your choice. It was pure cosmetic C&C but made me so happy to exist :)

Looks really good, I'm guessing I'll buy this. I don't think inventory adds that much to a totally linear game. It's different in an open world game where you can go off the beaten path to find and equip better gear.

It's nice to see down to earth team that doesn't overpromise and than doesn't deliver.

My question:

Since there is no character creation is main character a single class with some variations(like in Witcher games or Galen from Lords of xulima) or will he have choice of multiple classes?

He answered that earlier. Main character is a hybrid of the 3 classes.

Banner Saga definitely starts a renaissance for sprite-based RPG. Let's not forget Supergiant for their Bastion and Transistor. The time is ripe as ever to revive the sub genre from a slumber since its heyday in the late 90's.

Back
Top Bottom