Neverwinter Nights - High Quality Singleplayer Modules?

G

I'm going to have to leave my Dos machine soon as the summer ends and I've gotta go back to the big city with an university :D

So... back to modern games. I already know I'm gonna fire up my morrowind GOTY and some nice mods that enhance the graphics a bit
(see this excellent thread: http://www.rpgwatch.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2368 )

So... now about this thread:
I have bought the Forgotten Realms Deluxe pack which includes all of the IWD, BG and NWN1 with its expansions. I'm not sure I wanna play the OC again so what would you think are the best unofficial adventures from a singleplayer point of view? Would be nice if it had a decent plot... at least some RP... etc..
Suggestions?

Most of the 'big' series mods are excellent, try them!!

It's been a while since I played any NWN modules, but I always went by the ratings on the NWNVault and usually wasn't disappointed. As Corwin says, the series mods are usually very good.
You'll want to mod the heck out of your NWN as well. Playing vanilla NWN is painful!

Darkness over Daggerford is an excellent module that is free and shares the scope and quality of the Premium Modules. The Premium modules from Kingmaker on are excellent, each with a different focus. I did an article at GamerDad about all of them.

Most of the 'big' series mods are excellent, try them!!

Could you mention two or three that you enjoyed the most? I'm still
a bit skeptical about these unofficial campaigns to be honest...

What do you mean? Some kind of GUI/Graphics enhancements?

Yes. I'm at work right now so I don't have my list of haks (NWN mods) handy, but I'll post them when I get home tonight.
There are all sorts of fantastic graphic improvements that really make the game look so much better.

As for the unofficial modules, there's no reason to be leery of them. The vast majority are significantly better than any of the official campaigns. The NWN Vault people do actually know what they're talking about when they rate and review modules, so do read what they say and see if the module interests you. There were two series that I really enjoyed but for the life of me I can't recall the names :|

Although, real life ;) sadly :( has prevented me from playing NWN and its expansions, I do know that Darkness over Daggerford is really really good. (since I once read a review of it that basically said get it.

Oh, and one thing to remember. There is no 'official' mods for NWN. There is usermade mods. Some of these usermade mods Bioware simply thought were so well done so they updated them to 'premium modules'. Pirates of the Sword Coast adds easily say 30 hours to your gametime as does Witch's Wake and Kingmaker, some of the other officials haks (mods) for NWN. The best thing about is when you buy a premium module, you help fund patches for the game and your help the NWN community going.

Wyvern Crown of Cormyr was developed by the good folks over at DLA :) I sometimes read their forums, and they have really done an outstanding job :)

Could you mention two or three that you enjoyed the most? I'm still
a bit skeptical about these unofficial campaigns to be honest...
As I mentioned, I would strongly recommend the Daggerford mod, it is quite nice and free. I can't access the Vault from work, but there are a few series that are excellent ... crap, can't recall ...

I entered the nwnvault and.. well.. It feels like I'm DROWNING!
Help! Modules!? MODELS?! Hakpaks?! CEP!? Scripts?! PREFABS?! MODS?! Nooo!!11
Get away from me!

I... Uh... What should I download? :D

I'm installing the original NWN normally... + HOTU + SOU.. right?
Then I apply the latest official patch... yes? so far so good?

Then... uh... ?

Well, the CEP is used by a lot of Mods, so you should download it - it adds a lot of very interesting things. But beware that bad things may happen, if you use a Character you have used in a CEP-Mod in a normal Game - from missing Portraits and Heads to Crashes to Desktop a lot of strange things can happen ^^.

A lot of Modules use other Hakpaks to, but they are mentioned at the Descriptions of the Modules. NWN is only great with Hakpaks, it is marvelous what the Modders have created over the years :)

Oh... and play the Shadowlords/Dreamcatcher-Series.

Edit:

Scripts and Prefabs are mostly for Builders, but I would recommend Auldars Henchman AI-File. You can safely ignore the other Stuff for the beginning.

So if i Install CEP 2.0 I can still play the OC normally etc? Will it break anything else? What if a mod requires an earlier version of CEP or a mod is made for NWN 1.3 but I install the newest version? How do these haks work? Some of these games require hakpaks but do they break everything else or cause problems otherwise?
Will installing unofficial modules like Shadowlords, Dance with rogues, Tortured hearts, darkness over daggerford, tales of arterra etc somehow cause me trouble?

This is way too much hassle.
Way. Too. Much.

EDIT: It would indeed seem like I'm supposed to start hunting for (and installing) specific older versions of the game patches and also the CEP thing for some of these modules to work the way they're supposed to.

Uhh... Well... No thanks.

Last edited:
Hak Paks don't change anything in the original Game, the OCs are unchanged. Only Modules that use the Hak-Paks are changed. You can't destroy anything with Hakpaks.

There are only Problems when you use Characters that have i.e. a Sword with a new model in another Module without the right Hak-Paks (i.e. the OCs). This can lead to evil Inventory-Bugs or Crashes. IIRC you can install both CEP-Versions, then there should be no troubles.

Daggerford and Eye Of The Beholder are two that stand out at the moment..i've played lots of the higher rated SP mods and they were all excellent..better than the OC on most occasions. Best idea is click on the hall of fame on the right pane..and have a look through the reviews.

Should I install SOU & HOTU & NWN 1.68 Update ?
What about CEP 2.0 ? And what do you mean "Both of CEP versions" ?
There's a ton of different CEPs!

Prestige-Classes and new skills were introduced with the AddOns. They give a bit more Character-Build-Options in the OC. There are two Storylines in NWN, one is the Hero of Neverwinter in the OC (and horrible boring IMO) the other is the SOU/HOTU Campaign wich should be played with a new lvl 1 Character and is a really good game.

I do know what the official expansions (SOU & HOTU) do. I've played the NWN OC and them many times. What I'm trying to do here is make sure that these !?"=#½?)¤!?#%=#¤#&?¤%& unofficial modules will work for me :D

I haven't been able to find any information or documentation on any of this stuff.
It's so extremely unclear. Just lists after lists of modules and hakpaks to download with no information on how and when and why they do or do not work correctly.

And as if it weren't enough that some of these modules seem dependant on a specific version of NWN (with or without HOTU & SOU) I'm also supposed to know which CEP to install.

ARGH! I'm going to start up Overlord and play it for a while. I will make my minions kill and break things. Lots... Of... Things....

Most Modules use the CEP v 1.53 Versio, wich is compatible to older versions.

The 2.0 Version is AFAIK not compatible with the older Stuff and not much used. I have installed these two versions and have never encountered a problem.

Put the modules in the modules-folder, the hakpaks in the hakfolder and start to play... the rest is optional.

Back
Top Bottom