Rage

While we can agree that there's a natural tendency to bitching being the loudest, it doesn't really take much experience to "sense" when the bitching is about something REAL - and not imaginary.

This topic seems to mean a lot to you, so I'll give it another reply. :)

Nobody has said anything about "imaginary" issues. I'm quite sure every one of those dozen or so people is having a real issue. Just like the people who had issues with Deus Ex, The Witcher 2, etc.

I have no idea how good/bad this game is.. I haven't played it, and I'm not defending it. I just find it slightly humorous that some people are so quick to judge something based on the usual early rush of forum complaints.

I could point at any number of recent games that had the same (or worse) initial impression from many. For instance, I would have never played The Witcher 2 if all I had to go by was the majority of initial forum posts.

This topic seems to mean a lot to you, so I'll give it another reply.

Nobody has said anything about "imaginary" issues. I'm quite sure every one of those dozen or so people is having a real issue. Just like the people who had issues with Deus Ex, The Witcher 2, etc.

I have no idea how good/bad this game is.. I haven't played it, and I'm not defending it. I just find it slightly humorous that some people are so quick to judge something based on the usual early rush of forum complaints.

I could point at any number of recent games that had the same (or worse) initial impression from many. For instance, I would have never played The Witcher 2 if all I had to go by was the majority of intitial forum posts.

Yes, it means a lot to ME so you'll reply ;)

I love how you insist on claiming that I've judged the game. I came here to warn people, because I saw an alarming amount of posts saying the exact same thing.

Primarily, it was on the official Steam forums - but if you look at other forums like Qt3, it's obviously something a lot of people are experiencing.

If you really want to believe it's about the minority, then I can't prove otherwise. I have zero interest in sitting down and counting how many posts I've read or making a sophisticated statistical analysis. All I need is my experience and my eyes - and both tell me this texture issue is very real for a LOT of people.

If that's "hasty" of me, then it's the kind of hasty that can potentially save people money.

You replied (twice) after I said I was finished, so yes it obviously must mean something. Haven't we talked about you trying not to become so emotionally invested in these things. ;)

As far as whatever issues the game has, I'm sure they will or won't get sorted out soon enough. If everyone who heard about "issues" chose to pass on The Witcher 2… well, I think you see my point.

You replied (twice) after I said I was finished, so yes it obviously must mean something. Haven't we talked about you trying not to become so emotionally invested in these things. ;)

Yes, you're doing all this for me, I get it ;)

As far as whatever issues the game has, I'm sure they will or won't get sorted out soon enough. If everyone who heard about "issues" choose to pass on The Witcher 2… well, I think you see my point.

I'm not asking people to pass, but suggesting they hold off until the issue is resolved - and I strongly recommend waiting for user reviews, as it seems the "open world" nature of the game is vastly exaggerated.

I'm not sure what The Witcher 2 has to do with any of this, but I don't remember any such response to that game. I remember a lot of people bitching about the difficulty - but that's an entirely different concept.

If I'd read similar things about TW2 before getting it myself, I'd have given a very similar warning.

I'm not asking people to pass, but suggesting they hold off until the issue is resolved

Fair enough. That sounds a bit different than "I'd stay far away from it".

I guess we have different recollections of TW2's debut, because I remember a LOT of initial issues and the complaints about them during the first few days. But I'm starting to feel silly about how long we've rambled on here..

Fair enough. That sounds a bit different than "I'd stay far away from it".

Granted. But it was just my way of saying what I'd do. Since I was not interested myself (well, a little bit based on the technology), I probably gave a stronger response than I would have otherwise.

I guess we have different recollections of TW2's debut, because I remember a LOT of initial issues and the complaints about them during the first few days. But I'm starting to feel silly about how long we've rambled on here..

It does seem to be a bit of a waste that neither of us really wants :)

You'd think that a graphically demanding shooter from id Software — of all studios — would be at its peak on PC, but according to a growing number of users, RAGE is a broken mess. Users around the 'net (including NeoGAF) are complaining of intense screen-tearing, poor texture loading, and glitches.

In particular, those users with ATI GPUs are shouldering the bulk of the problems, but nVidia customers have had their fair share of issues. Whatever your card of choice, it seems likely you'll face some big problems.

id Software's John Carmack attempted early damage control last night, warning fans on Twitter: "Everyone, make sure you have latest Nvidia/Ati drivers to play Rage!" Needless to say, plenty of gamers have the latest drivers and aren't noting much improvement.

I understand computers are complex and varied beasts, but it's sad to see games allegedly designed with PC in mind wind up inferior to their console alternatives. I'm currently downloading the PC version of RAGE and will share my own experiences with it once I've gotten some time with the thing.

Seems its a huge problem and its a poor excuse and answer for how the game came out. How can the lead platform be so fucked up?:(

Here a video of the texture problem -http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5oEdfT4OWY&feature=player_embedded

This is to be expected when you build a completely new custom engine using a technology none else uses for games.

well, tons of Rage's reviews are out now:

http://ve3d.ign.com/articles/news/62400/RAGE-Review-Roundup

It scored 80% on Metacritic, not as high as i expected.

I am in no hurry to play the game anyway, so i would wait and see what others have to say. With many other highly expected FPS on the horizon (Battlefield 3, etc), it is more than enough games for my free time (rather limited nowadays) :)

It is funny how one review says more or less everything suck and another one saying how good it is. How can the difference be so big?

It is funny how one review says more or less everything suck and another one saying how good it is. How can the difference be so big?

I guess it depends on the reviewer's perception; if you look at it as a FPS shooter then it is a solid game, but if you look at it as an action adventure with RPG elements then it is weak. This is a very difficult middle ground, particularly since the games in this genere (Borderlands, STALKER, FALLOUT+) are very good games and have done very well.

At the same time, there are many gamers that overwhelmed by the huge number of overhyped games this year and deep inside want Rage to fail as they don't want to spend more money on yet aaaaaaanother shooter! The console porting did not help as well.

But the thing is the reviewer wrote that shooting mechanics were really luckluster, how can it be a good FPS in that case?

But the thing is the reviewer wrote that shooting mechanics were really luckluster, how can it be a good FPS in that case?

Not played the game myself nor intend to at this stage, but the IGN review praised the shooting mechanics, weapon upgrades and feel .. etc. Maybe in comparison to other well known shooters (fast paced as in CoD) it is a lackluster!

By the way, ID seem to have overhyped this Megatextures feature - they have used it previously in Quake Wars (with Splash Damage) but on an older version of their engine.

Sounds like it may have some teething issues which isn't uncommon for a new engine. It's too bad so many companies don't hold off a few months to work those sorts of things out but then again it's nice to make some money too. I've been there.

I expect it has something to do with how much the game's publisher has paid the website or magazine in advertising. Call me a cynic, but anymore the only reviews to be trusted are not from the mainstream websites like Gamespot, PC Gamer, etc.

The review on Ars Technica was rather negative BTW.

Last edited:
I think Rage is a special case as far as PC reviews are concerned. You need to add an automatic +2 id bonus to any scores you see so if Rage is getting 7/10 or 8/10 scores then you need to subtract -2 to get a more realistic idea of the game's real qualities. If Rage would be a really good game on the PC we'd be seeing 9/10 and 10/10 scores across the board because PC reviewers generally like id games and because the hype and expectations for this game were over the top. I'd take the relatively low scores as a pretty brightly flashing warning sign and would recommend to anyone to lower their expectations big time.

Back
Top Bottom