Witcher 2 The Witcher 2 first impressions

The Witcher 2
You mean like what happened with DA2? That was a shame, RPG wise it wasnt an 'abomination' but design wise bioware did get lazy yet people dont buy it because over the same internet overreaction. It wasnt worth 59$ but it is worth every penny at 39$

Are you saying DA2 did not sell well? From what I read they did very well despite mixed reactions.

Bioware is an established company and they can sell units just based on their name. So some overreaction is not going to affect them the same way it will affect a small and new company like CDP.

Despite its flaws W2 is the best RPG I enjoyed playing in the last 2 -3 years. I rate it better than ME1, DAO and Risen and I thought they were good games too. So I want to see CDP do well and make W3 :)

I thought the level design and atmosphere in Chapter 2 were even better than what was presented in Ch 1, especially in Hensalt's camp. I thought they totally nailed the war camp atmosphere perfectly, and I loved the caverns and beach areas in that region. Some of those areas reminded me of Gothic 2, which is always a good thing. :)
I really liked atmosphere in the war camp too, but I was slightly disappointed with the surrounding areas, more specifically those corridors around the battlefield. I thought they did a better job with the chosen terrain in the first chapter.
But that comment of mine probably sounds harsher than intended.
And the "flatter" adjective definitely doesn´t apply for areas where majority of the other iteration of chapter 2 takes place.

I can't say I was disappointed by the storyline, although it never had that special twist that TW1 had. However, I thought Ch 3 was much too short, especially when compared to the previous chapters. I wasn't ready for it to end when it did.
I probably wasn´t disappointed by its shortness because I knew about that beforehand and also because I count on the previously made choices to make it play out differently.
Players definitely don´t get much time to put all those new items to use and the environments sorta lack an oomph factor, but I think the chapter did a very good job story-wise.

Lol.. not sure how I missed that. Where did you take that screenshot?
It´s a part of the Path of Vision quest in the second chapter (Roche route) - one of the options there is to join the cult and for that you need to drink Visionary´s potion at the Sabrina´s shrine and then tell the Visionary about the visions the ritual brought. Dandelion´s quest entry for that is very Freudian :).
The vision also includes a giant pecking chicken.

It´s a part of the Path of Vision quest in the second chapter (Roche route) - one of the options there is to join the cult and for that you need to drink Visionary´s potion at the Sabrina´s shrine and then tell the Visionary about the visions the ritual brought. Dandelion´s quest entry for that is very Freudian :).
The vision also includes a giant pecking chicken.

Damn... I chose to solve that quest by bribing him. Hopefully I have a save game around there so I can check out that option. :)

Completed it a second time. I must say, one particular ending seems to yield a significantly better result than the others.

All in all, it has been quite a game. I might look up the books and see if I can find some translated versions - it seems like an interesting setting. If only LotR, Wheel of Time, Game of Thrones etc got games as good as TW2. I imagine knowing the setting will add quite a lot to the gaming experience as a whole.

I must say, one particular ending seems to yield a significantly better result than the others.

Being able to lift the curse from Saskia, as opposed to only having the options to kill her or walk away.

Being able to lift the curse from Saskia, as opposed to only having the options to kill her or walk away.

Yep. The other C&C, such as the future of Temeria (who becomes the new ruler etc), is more of a grey area, but not that one.

You must be joking on this one.

No.. ? Is there a brilliant GoT game that I don't know about?

No… You've misunderstood me. I despise Game of Thrones and it's sequels (books). Gave them a shot, read them, I can't see what excellence others see there, to me it's a mediocre halfhorror/thrillerwannabe saga in some fantasy world.
I don't watch HBO series (although nothing can be bad with Sean Bean in it), but I really don't see any materiel there worth turning into a good RPG.

No… You've misunderstood me. I despise Game of Thrones and it's sequels (books). Gave them a shot, read them, I can't see what excellence others see there, to me it's a mediocre halfhorror/thrillerwannabe saga in some fantasy world.
I don't watch HBO series (although nothing can be bad with Sean Bean in it), but I really don't see any materiel there worth turning into a good RPG.

Ah, well that's fair enough. Taste differs. I personally prefer Wheel of Time over Game of Thrones, but I know quite a few that don't like WoT at all.

I think it would be near impossible to make a good WoT game unfortunately.....

You must be the first person I came across who hates Game of Thrones :)

I loved the books and waiting for the next one. I think its one of the best fantasy series ever, even better than WoT.

However each to their own :)

I think it would be near impossible to make a good WoT game unfortunately…..

Oh, I don't know - it could contain an action-laden prologue, your character sleeping for the main story, and an action-laden epilogue to tie it all up.

And an excess of tugging on braided hair.

And an excess of tugging on braided hair.

You level up! Braid tugging skill +1!

Well, the setting would be fun enough, would make for interesting factions. And I always wonder if one couldn't turn the "weaving" aspect of WoT magic into a fun gameplay mechanic somehow...

And I always wonder if one couldn't turn the "weaving" aspect of WoT magic into a fun gameplay mechanic somehow…

Tried Magicka? That's about the neatest "weaving" I've seen, a similar mechanic where there were no wrong combinations would be neat for a WoT game.

Thrasher said:
Can you play a good witch or a bad witch?

The series looks as you can play The Witcher and the anti The Witcher as some choices are typical to the character and the others opposite to what the character does usually.

ENOUGH LOTR REFERENCES ALREADY!?!@$€!!

Bloody hell.

The first game had references to ancient myths. That was cool. All the sequel seems to talk about and rip off is contemporary stuff and LotR, which is not cool.

In TW1, you could hear passers by whistling the Star Wars 'anthem'.

They removed the opportunity of learning about the gameworld by asking from the inhabitants. Bad move.

In TW1, you could hear passers by whistling the Star Wars 'anthem'.

They removed the opportunity of learning about the gameworld by asking from the inhabitants. Bad move.

Yeah, but there's a difference between an easter egg, and having the main characters openly discuss scenes or having quests entirely based on events from LotR.

You can learn loads about the gameworld from the inhabitants, not sure what you mean. You don't usually have to ask them anymore though, they just talk about it with each other in front of you.

Hmmm, I must be the only one who is not super-thrilled with the game. It's pretty, but it is also 100% story-driven. I keep feeling like somebody is saying we now interrupt this boring story so that you can swing your sword for a few minutes....Carry on. Outside of the wonderful graphics, I find the game to be mediocre.

Back
Top Bottom