Votes: 68 82.9%
  • It Was Just Okay

Votes: 11 13.4%
  • It Was Terrible

Votes: 3 3.7%

• Total voters

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Well with the end of the year approaching here is the annual poll that asks your opinion if 2014 was a good year for RPG's. I can't wait for our game of the year poll.

I'll start and say it was a very good year for me despite a few games being pushed back to 2015. So bring on 2015 and more great kickstarter games.

Last edited:
Some awesome games to come out and a bunch of good new mods for my favorite game as well. What's kinda funny, at least to me, is that I don't think I finished any games this year, except for Risen 3. I got so caught up in the D:OS beta and the Xulima beta that I kinda burned myself on the two games I enjoyed the most. Risen 3 was my first PB game that I reached completion on, so I feel good that I could finally get through one of those.

I did play Skyrim, FNV, and Fallout 3 this year so I got my Bethesda fix :)

Best year in long time.

My summary:

1 All time classic: Divinity: original sin
4 great RPGs: Wasteland 2, Valkyria chronicles, Legends of Grimrock 2, Dark souls 2
4 Good RPGs: Shadowrun: Dragonfall,Risen 3, Eschalon book 3,Lords of Xulima
4 Solid RPGs: Paper sorcerer,Banner saga, Dead state, Age of wonders 3

Conclusion:Bloody great year!:party:

Last edited:
We're starting to reap the Kickstarter/retro-rpg harvest. 2014 and 2015 will be excellent vintage. :)

Best year in long time.

My summary:

1 All time classic: Divinity: original sin
4 great RPGs: Wasteland 2, Valkyria chronicles, Legends of Grimrock 2, Dark souls 2
3 Good RPGs: Shadowrun: Dragonfall,Risen 3, Eschalon book 3
4 Solid RPGs: Paper sorcerer,Banner saga, Dead state, Age of wonders 3

Conclusion:Bloody great year!:party:

Excellent list - still have to play many of them!

I think that Lords of Xulima, and Neo Scavenger are missing from your list which probably should between the great and good rpgs.

Excellent list - still have to play many of them!

I think that Lords of Xulima, and Neo Scavenger are missing from your list which probably should between the great and good rpgs.

Oops I forgot Lords of Xulima.I added it to "Good" Group.I haven't played Neo scavenger yet but I plan to start it this weekend most likely.

Yea, MM10 is not on the list.
But where are Bound by Flame, some Styx game (dunno if that one is released actually but was supposed to) and The Stick of Truth on the list? Got eaten by a straw cat? :D
And where did LoH:Tits re-release (english translation) disappear?

IMO this year RPGwise was unbeatable. So many RPGs, with so many good and great ones.

This survey needs fixing. It should read:

a) Was 2014 a great year for RPGs
b) Was 2014 the greatest year ever for RPGs

I provide this service because I know you're a little rusty from your extended absense. No need to thank me, I can feel the warmth of your gratitude when I touch my computer. . .

I see there are 2 people who either clicked the wrong button or are literally unpleaseable or are simply on the wrong website...

12 are on the wrong website / 2 should be banned :)

Last edited:
Maybe they're on Wii U and not on PC. :evilgrin:

Shadowrun: Dragonfall DC is my game of the year.

Also enjoyed/ enjoying Divinity: Original Sin, Lords of Xulima, Heroine's Quest (which may technically be a 2013 release), Unrest (which is really more of an adventure game / visual novel, but decent), Boot Hill Heroes is a good throwback to a 16-bit style JRPG.

I have yet to play Wasteland 2, Jagged Alliance: Flashback, Dead State (waiting for further updates), or Blackguards.

I have no intention of playing DA: I in the near future. I'm waiting for the non-Origin release :) Probably won't play Risen 3 either.

I found The Banner Saga to be very disappointing (not terrible but monotonous with lots of poor design choices). Always Sometimes Monsters was another huge disappointment (though I wouldn't even consider that an RPG, but more of a visual novel / adventure game).

All in all, 2014 was a very good year for CRPGs. Definitely the best in many years. I'm hoping 2015 might end up being an even better year with Witcher 3, Pillars of Eternity, Age of Decadence (hopefully), Underrail, Serpents in the Staglands, Hard West, Telepath Tactics, Liege, The Mandate, Darkest Dungeon, Starcrawlers, Dragon Fin Soup, Prisonscape, Frozen State, Frozen World all likely coming out next year. Maybe Torment: ToN but I expect that will be a 2016 release. Perhaps even HBS's next unnamed Shadowrun project; depending on how their KS goes next month. Oh yes, and Grimoire of course :)

I have no intention of playing DA: I in the near future. I'm waiting for the non-Origin release :) Probably won't play Risen 3 either.
Buy a console then. Any. It's available on any. Okay maybe not on superslow CPU Wii U.

I thought it was an excellent year for games, Blackguards or Shadowrun will be my games that I enjoyed the most, followed by Original Sin. Not sure when I'll get back to another game, as EQ2 has taken up most of my free time for the past month plus.

Back
Top Bottom