Report: Crysis 2 Leaked

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Saw this news post today and thought I would share. What do you think is crytek is pissed off? I bet they are it smells like a inside job.

Almost 45 days before the scheduled release date, a complete build of Crysis 2 is freely available to people who frequent illegal download interwebsites.

According to a thread at Facepunch.com, the full code for Crytek's shooter sequel set in New York City, including multiplayer and the code key to deal with the online DRM, was posted today. No one is sure where the leak came from, but it's especially damaging because the game is near to being declared gold and shipping to retailers. If the code is recent, it's basically the game that everyone will be playing if they purchase the disc. Crysis 2 is set to come out for PC, PlayStation 3, and Xbox 360 on March 22nd.

"So a late developement build of Crysis 2 has gone up on certain sites, it includes the full game, including multiplayer," said user Tom Costello from the Facepunch forums. "It also includes the DRM Solidshield master key files, which only fucking handles the online activation.

"Crytek are going to be so fucking mad," he concluded.

Damn straight, they are.

I checked it out and the torrent is the full game missing some audio and has placeholder textures as people who played it commented. What a nightmare for Crytek.:furious:

did I get that right, there was source code?

Yes you have it right its a internal beta that is the finished game. Seems security was not as great as it should be. Now hackers have the source code.

Pardon me, I've got a date with Pirate Bay. ;)

Seriously though… I've been looking forward to this game, and I have no desire to play it with missing sound FX and placeholder textures.

This is a real shame for Crytek. I mean at the end of the day it is their fault for letting this get out, but man... terrible news.

Their press release (on Kotaku) just says "please buy the game anyway" and then "this is why the PC sucks." I am paraphrasing, of course ;)

This is a real shame for Crytek. I mean at the end of the day it is their fault for letting this get out, but man… terrible news.

Their press release (on Kotaku) just says "please buy the game anyway" and then "this is why the PC sucks." I am paraphrasing, of course ;)

The sad part is they probably wont make part 3 for the pc. As I said its obvious its an inside job don't blame the pc community. Find the person and crucify him a example to others who would commit corporate espionage.:cm:

I think pretty much everyone who has a PC and was planning to buy the game (like me), will buy it. Those who were likely to pirate will still pirate it - but the final release version, not this incomplete version. Textures and sound are hugely important for atmosphere - who wants to run through a bunch of crappily shaded models, with the sounds missing? Not I. So yes, a bad state of affairs for Crytek - but this is not the PC platform's fault (or even pirates) - its a (humongous) failure of their internal security systems. If actual source code was leaked too (?) not just a build of the code, then they're really in the poo - not only would their engine IP be exposed (some pretty nifty stuff, I'm sure!) but they may also have exposed 3rd party DRM stuff that they are probably not allowed to exposes. Ouch.

Far more serious is that the source code leaked! The source code of crysis 2 ? it is a holy grail...... this is going to suck big time... less honest competitors are going to have a lot of use for this. Not to mention the chinese pirate industry..... they are essently given the source code of a game which is probably the most cutting edge there is on the market.

What a shame..... I wouldn't be surprise if there is an employee who perhaps got fired... or is unsatisfied with his salary / management who did this. That's why it is extremly hard to fire or recruit the right people to an organization so dependant on secrecy.

most worrying of all, the leak apparently contains the solidshield master key for online authentication, potentially creating an even larger security problem for crytek and electronic arts

:) :)

You can finish the whole game (sp campaign) without any trouble on the xp; seems like on vista/7 there are problems. And as stated before, surelly is an inside job :D

I think if the pc version gets delayed, it would be no surprise

I think if the pc version gets delayed, it would be no surprise

What would be the point of that? To stop people still willing to buy the game from doing so? I don't get it.

Far more serious is that the source code leaked! The source code of crysis 2 ? it is a holy grail…… this is going to suck big time…

WOW, really? I didn't read that in any of the news articles. If true that is a MASSIVE development and freaking devastating to Crytek.

The attraction of this title makes me think there was enough demand behind it to create a whole new trojan espacially tailored to break into their servers ... This is not the first time that this happens.

But - I do wonder what the "leakers" want to achieve with this ?

Are they Anarchists, kind of "free games for everyone !" ???

The attraction of this title makes me think there was enough demand behind it to create a whole new trojan espacially tailored to break into their servers … This is not the first time that this happens.

But - I do wonder what the "leakers" want to achieve with this ?

Are they Anarchists, kind of "free games for everyone !" ???

The hackers now have the source code that basically gives all the information crytek uses to make games. It includes the program code and security. Its a nightmare for crytek they basically lost there engine. Thats motive enough to do what they did.

As I previously said its bad for pc gamers also for it shows what can happen to any developer studio. It does amaze me though there security must of been lacking or it could of been a very good hacker. We will probably find out soon.

This will also be tons of fuel for argumentations of those who insist on DRM for PC games.

The only real protection is, then, to NOT connct development PCs anymore. And even that is difficult, because anyone could go to a development PC, and put the game onto an USB stick. These things are small, tiny, and very easy to hide. The only drawback is their slow writing time.

I could imagine several scenarios … like a fan who has been invited for testing the game, a room cleaner who has been asked by "someone" … Almost everything's possible.

And they need a new engine, then.

And this will probabl be their last PC title.

I think I remember they had already discussed abandoning the PC platform because of piracy altogether.

It should be pointed out that every game, even an Xbox exclusive, is developed on a PC. So even if Crysis 2 had no PC version the content and source code could have been leaked just as it was, the only difference would be that joe shmoe torrent user would not be able to play it (until someone else did something with it anyway).

Well, I must admit that I don't know a single thing of development for consoles …

Leaked source code certainly sounds huge but afaik the source code of Half Life 2 was leaked many months before its release and it didn't damage Valve as much as expected.

Maybe this was the reason to leak the source code so short before the "gold" status ? To prevent an outcome like with Half Life 2 - and to have something that is far closer to the playable thing ?

Back
Top Bottom