New Obsidian/Paradox game to be announced soon

azarhal

SasqWatch
Original Sin Donor
New Obsidian/Paradox game: Tyranny

I'm taking the guess it is a RPG because the secret project Obsidian was working since 2014 was. It is confirmed to not be based on World of Darkness/Vampire the Masquerade.

You need to go through a personality test about how evil you are to find the announcement of the announcement.

A new isometric RPG called Tyranny coming in 2016.
Were will it be revealed:
WATCH THE ANNOUNCEMENT:
MARCH 15TH, 5PM PACIFIC
On Paradox twitch

Last edited:
Obsidian was also recently involved in some MMO so it doesn't have to be RPG.
Paradox promised news about their take on life sim (sims competition) in this year.
Not saying it's that, just that possibilities are endless.

What I'm 100% certain is that I despise announcing an announcement.

Fallout: New Denver

This is a joke. Bethesda would be the publisher, not Paradox.

Obsidian was also recently involved in some MMO so it doesn't have to be RPG.

Armored Warfare has RPG progression and will have a story campaign. I falls more into the XCOM genre (tactical squad game) but the gameplay is not turn based, there is multiplayer team and you control tanks with crews instead of just dudes.

Apparently some new Clash of Clans and Clash Royale will have a story campaign too.
Which doesn't mean it'll stop being phone milk'em scamware.

I got sensible. Yeah I'm boring.

I am picking an rpg with a evil genius type theme. Pick the villain personality through various role playing choices and amass power. Obsidian always like subverting things and this sounds like a subversion of what Alpha Protocol was.

Remember Obsidian is also working in games like Armored Warfare (a F2P multiplayer shooter), so this new game could be anything.

I got sensible as well - but by the gods the "evil" choices were so stereotypical and dull! How is one meant to carry out dubious immoral acts if they're always so inane and predictable? Bah! Capacity for evil minimal my foot! /cantankerous Edwin mode off.

Very interesting to find out the direction of Obsidian now in the fully post-Avellone era. :) Thanks for the heads-up.

The level of PR between Chris Parker (Obsidian guy) and anyone at Paradox is crazy. Paradox needs to get some courses, lol.

It's a new iso RPG IP from Obsidian/Paradox called Tyranny and it sound really weird.

Some screens (there are more on the sites)

ver-ss-007.png

ver-ss-008.png

That web site is godawful. It feels like I'm back in the year 2000 with constant loading of that [Flash?] applet.

As for the game, I was hoping for something first-person. I'm probably in the minority, but there has been a flood of top-down isometric RPGs lately but very few good first-person RPG titles.

That web site is godawful. It feels like I'm back in the year 2000 with constant loading of that [Flash?] applet.

As for the game, I was hoping for something first-person. I'm probably in the minority, but there has been a flood of top-down isometric RPGs lately but very few good first-person RPG titles.
I feel it's the opposite, guess that saying 'The grass is always greener on the other side' is true.

It's nothing about greener grass - a web site design that requires a load screen when simply clicking different topic headers or even the back button on your browser is dumb and belongs in a dustbin along with the other clunky, flash-based, form over function web pages from 10+ years ago.

It's nothing about greener grass - a web site design that requires a load screen when simply clicking different topic headers or even the back button on your browser is dumb and belongs in a dustbin along with the other clunky, flash-based, form over function web pages from 10+ years ago.

I was talking about this part 'As for the game, I was hoping for something first-person. I'm probably in the minority, but there has been a flood of top-down isometric RPGs lately but very few good first-person RPG titles'. I feel lot more first person RPG titles are out than top down isometric.

I don't know… I don't really think so - certainly not recent games. I'm thinking of games in the style of Arx Fatalis - expansive, first-person RPGs. In terms of over-the-shoulder perspective, you have your DA:O, Skyrim, Witcher, etc (and even those are few and far between if we're talking quality RPGs). In contrast, isometric feels a helluva lot more common now with kickstarters.

Embargo is lifted. I'm sure there are going to be a bunch of previews all over the place.

Setting: fantasy, but bronze age ending/iron age starting
Combat: RTwP
Classless "class" system (grow magic and skill by using them, there is still XP -? maybe not, conflicting info from various previews here-)
Spells can be crafted (no explanation of how the system work yet)
Companions combos (You unlock those by building relationship with companion with different abilities depending if they likes or hates you too.)
There is combat, political and social skills

Character creation choice can cause places in the game to have different names, because the pre-game conquest didn't happen the same way. Example given was a town that was named Plainsgate in one game and Halfgate in another. It also mention your starting friend/foes to be different. Seems like not everyone likes each others in the Overlord army…

Oh and you can be a good or evil Fatebinder.

update:
- Party of 4 characters
- the setting name is Terratus
- companion AI is already in ;)
- Factions work with a Wrath/Favor systems. Favors can be exploited for personal gain, but Wrath can result in war and place destroyed as you create enemies for yourself.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom