Dead State - Postmortem @ Gamasutra

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Gamasutra is hosting a new Postmortem article for Dead State where Brian Mitsoda talks about the rocky development of the game before, and after it's release.

For a new company, Dead State was quite a challenge and has definitely shaped the way we structure, advertise, and consider future projects. The budget was the bare minimum needed and the game has thus far sold on the lower end of our projections; it’s difficult to justify making a sequel or another RPG in the near future considering the amount of time and team size needed to produce one that satisfies the expectations of hardcore fans and press.

Communication and tech issues were definitely a hindrance to getting the game finished in a more timely fashion. Press, for the most part, seemed to want to compare the features of the game to much higher-budget RPGs and strategy games, and dinged us for not having stylized/better graphics, not adding a cover mechanic or interrupts (basically not recreating XCOM’s most recent iteration from 2012) to combat, and not having even more frequent dialogue interaction and animation in the Shelter portion of the game.

The general “zombie fatigue” of the press definitely did not help get us much in the way of release coverage, and we found it fairly difficult to get attention by traditional press outlets, despite the focus of the game being anything but another zombie-killing game.

Despite the limitation of our budget and staff size/experience, our team managed to put out a game that has garnered a strong fan base and much in the way of consistent word-of-mouth sales. It’s done well enough to allow us to make future titles, which is a pretty big win in the indie game business side of making games. We’ve already got some pretty exciting (and very fun) projects in the works, and at the very least, Dead State has given us a solid foundation to launch into the next phase of DoubleBear’s development as an indie company.
More information.

Very good article. Thanks Potatohead.

It's a very interesting read. Some of it, in my mind sounds like it should have been common sense. But I've realised by now that my common sense isn't the same as other people's common sense.

Yeah, great article, and interesting read.
I liked how he not just revealed some insider information but also didn't sell everything as highlight and instead showed some points where they could have done better.

Looking forward to their next patch which apparently should bring some big changes and might be coming end of this month. Haven't looked into the game yet as it has an unfinished reputation. And as long as they are adding features I don't quite see it finished as well even if its in good shape already.

Hopefully they continue to develop the game through patches, rather than just move on to the other projects. The game is already good and with a bit of work could become more polished and better. As Kordanor mentioned, once the 'unfinished' reputation blows over, more people might give it a try and see the interesting, replayable game that's there. I only wish they had mod support, because the game would take on a life of its own if people could expand the content through mods.

Torque 3D seems like a really bad choice in hindsight. Not being able to easily port it to any other platform can't have been good for sales.

the biggest issue has always been their PR. The game just hasnt been sold to their target audience - namely me, properly.

The videos, previews, etc have always made the game look incredibly boring. I'm a total zombie nerd, I have been wishing for a Dawn of the Dead game for my entire life. Yet everything Ive seen on this game has either been : someone complaining about it, someone defending it "in spite of it's problems", or a video of some sleep-inducing gameplay.

Faster-paced sections w/ stepped-up combat speed for easy encounters? Armageddon scenarios w/ defense against hordes of undead? Something, i dont know…. thats ultimately the dev responsibility to make something that wows me into buying it. Yes, the rpg gameplay core is what we're after, but a little something more to reel the victim in doesnt hurt.

As for now, ill get it when it hits the christmas sale bin

To me it also seems like a game which will do a lot of business for 5$.

They didn't talk about the fact there were too many levels and they all looked the same. It got to be such a chore to loot everything and do the same combat routines over and over again. It only gets more varied when you encounter marines and the like who have very dangerous arms.

Back
Top Bottom