The Bard's Tale IV - first in-engine footage

Hexprone

Thou hast lost an eighth!
Bard's Tale IV already has a video out showing off the game's engine and art style. Very pretty, and seems much freer in its movement than other recent grid-based games like Grimrock and MMX. But need we fear a downgrade?

Here is the corresponding Kickstarter information:
We finally put the finishing touches on the video for The Bard’s Tale IV In-Engine Video. The biggest question we get is how we plan to bring the genre forward, and this video should answer the question. Exploring in the world is a major part of the experience and we wanted to make use of the full screen and all that Unreal has to offer to make it as compelling as possible. Once combat starts, the combat shifts out of the first person mode. We are still debating the best ways to present combat as that is ultimately dictated by the final budget, but rest assured it will be party and turn/phase based.

The song you’re hearing was written and performed by multi-award winning Gaelic singer and multi-instrumentalist Julie Fowlis, who you may know from the two songs she contributed to Disney Pixar’s major motion picture, Brave. You may also know her from her own albums, too. Julie Fowlis grew up in a Gaelic-speaking community immersed in Scottish culture, and the songs she will contribute to The Bard’s Tale IV’s soundtrack will make the setting that much richer.

From Julie herself: "Éamon and I are delighted to have contributed music for the iconic game The Bard's Tale. For us, it has been a fascinating journey exploring and creating music, drawing from the depths of our ancient Scottish Gaelic tradition, and marrying it with the fantasy world of a renowned computer game, now 30 years old." We hope you enjoyed this first look at The Bard’s Tale IV!
More information.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried to close my mouth while watching it, but couldn't.

If this stays PC only, I don't think we'll see much of a downgrade.

Guess I'll back the game now after watching the video.o_o

I know this is 'engine footage' and not 'game footage', but even if game ends up looking half as good as this, it would still be extremely impressive. I also can't even begin to imagine how this would feel with an Oculus Rift (which should be long out by the time this game is released).

I love the music.

It will probably end up looking like Legend of Grimrock 2 in term of graphics quality.

You band wagon jumper, Couch. :D Good on you mate.

Gorgeous visuals and rich atmosphere all round. I got the bardic tingles just hearing the first stanza of the original bard's tale poem from the first game recited by the magic mouth as the tunnel weaves…excellent stuff.

Finding out more precise details about combat is next on the list, methinks. (Joinable Npcs? Herbs and Hawkslayers anyone?)

Well, it looks better than the FO4 trailer :lol:

Last edited:
Once combat starts, the combat shifts out of the first person mode
From the kickstarter update. Don't like it. The video looks great though.

Looks nice. Great music. No regrets backing yet. Also waiting for combat details.

Bards Tale IV vs. Fallout 4

1 : 0

The underdog beats the world champion...

Well, spank me and call me Fiannon, this looks sweet. And I can't even hear the music on this laptop.

Thx for added info, Myrthos!

I found this clip from Julie Fowlis' Youtube channel.

Well, for those who were denouncing InXile for the KS pitch video, I think this is what's known as a sucker punch. :biggrin:

Back
Top Bottom