The Mandate - Boarding Video with Commentary

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
In the article we had yesterday there was a video with boarding combat. They have made a new video availabe, this time with comments from the developers. In addition in their latest Kickstarter update there is also some Gamescom info from their public booth.

More information.

That looks pretty good already and has some niffty ideas. If they get both this and the ship combat right, I will be in heaven.
And the boarding maps have loot too! I so want this!

These guys have always given the impression of having their crap together.

They are doing much better then I though they would...this was a hail mary kickstarter for me...if it worked awesome...if not oh well...but wow, exceeded expectations.

I think and correct me if I'm wrong...the spaceships layout will change for each ship depending on it's loadout etc?

Yes, I'm pretty sure you're right. I think I remeber reading that. To be honest, though, I stopped reading all their updates in full, because they were so long and detailed. These guys have their crap together way more than I do. :p

I agree, very professional. Like most ks games, I'm not sure how they make a game for as little as they do but if they deliver I don't have a problem with it (actually if they dont, I'm mostly okay too). My hope is that they are successful well beyond the initial release though.

I agree, very professional. Like most ks games, I'm not sure how they make a game for as little as they do but if they deliver I don't have a problem with it (actually if they dont, I'm mostly okay too). My hope is that they are successful well beyond the initial release though.
Well the developers now have a publisher who is funding the game. They mentioned this last year as the funds raised on kickstarter would not have been enough.

It's thanks to Eurovideo Medien the game will be complete without cutting content.

Link - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1964463742/the-mandate/posts/1090966
For the last four months we have been exclusively discussing with one potential partner. After signing mutual NDAs with them we shared all relevant project information. On their side they conducted a thorough due diligence of The Mandate. They brought with them an external industry veteran who reviewed our production budget, the state of our codebase and also our design documents. Current and proposed future members of the development team were both evaluated and interviewed to get a clear understanding of the major production risks and whether we had the necessary experience to tackle them. The feedback was very professional and constructive and we immediately implemented several production changes (since the feedback was given with no strings attached). Next we embarked on a relatively lengthy contract negotiation process which ended up taking longer than expected. We did not feel comfortable announcing anything until a deal was signed and everything set in stone (and besides the NDA restricted what we could discuss).

This changes today as we just signed a contract with Eurovideo Medien GmbH of Germany. The guys are cool and consist of former D&D players who are also fans of games like X-Com, Pirates, Mount & Blade, Elite, FTL and many more. If you want to check out which games they distributed in the past years, have a look at their website. Actually, their offices are located next to the movie set for the movie classic “Das Boot”.

What is also important is that the guys understand both the type of game experience we are aiming for and also what we are NOT aiming for, e.g. on-the-rails free-2-play shooter with micro-transactions. Eurovideo sees the potential in The Mandate and wants to help us realize the game’s full potential. So what are the implications of this deal?

• Eurovideo will invest to ensure the development of The Mandate
  • Perihelion Interactive will have full creative control. Full stop. We will execute the original game concept as we presented to you in the Kickstarter and will follow our vision without any intervention from Eurovideo
  • Eurovideo will handle all marketing, PR and distribution activities
  • Perihelion Interactive will interact with existing & new backers and release regular updates. There will be no changes here
  • Perihelion Interactive will retain full control over backer pledges
  • Eurovideo will handle all localization in cooperation with Perihelion Interactive
  • We can now guarantee that The Mandate will be localized into German, French, Italian, Spanish and Russian (other languages to be discussed)
  • Both the English and German versions will be voiced (other languages to be discussed)
  • The development team will grow due to this investment and as a result we can pack more content and more hours of fun into the game
  • The soundtrack will be 120 minutes instead of 60 minutes and the size of the orchestra will double
How does the road ahead look like with the additional funding? First of all we will now start to staff up the development team. At its peak the team will consist of around 30 developers with a combined AAA experience of 100+ years. The additional funding allows us to bring onboard several veteran developers who are both friends and former co-workers. This will reduce risk and ensure that The Mandate is a great game at release.

Furthermore, we will differentiate in our timeline between the feature Alpha, feature Beta and Content Beta. Whereas the first two relate to the specific features of the game the latter is about the content (quests, factions, ships etc) which are made with our tools [remember the discussion above about our tool chain and object actor model].

Feature Alpha: Q3 2015 (early)
Feature Beta: Q3 2015 (late)
Content Beta: Q4 2015
Launch: Q1 2016

Not sure how much additional funding they are getting - can't be that much because the development cycle seems short; personally I think they are doing a fantastic job. They know what they want and appear to have the talent to get there. Kind of wish I had gone in at a higher tier but at the time I pledged I wasn't so sure they could pull it off. While I don't know for certain they will i'm still impressed with their arching design and what they have shown.
-
My only real concern is market saturation. There are so many good games these days I have to think it will be more difficult going forward to have massive success (with regards to $$$$). That's my only real concern but maybe these leaner developers are working on smaller budgets and with new methods of 'advertising' can still achieve good success without spending 10's of millions on advertising and marketing.

They are heading for a non tactical game as it seems it supports the actual use of tactics (the benchmark for a tactical game is that the less actual use of tactics it supports, the more tactical the game is)

Going the same route as JA3:back into action with preloading moves and then overwatching the resolution (turn based gameplay)
They eliminate one weakness: JA3 tactical engine only supported one synchronization point, theirs seem to support more.

To say the least, not many products offer to command a space ship, not sure they manage to piece things together.

Going to be a hard route, will boardings be enough a rare event for the player to commit to it? The discrepancy between results obtained through hands on/hands off approaches, as players cant bear to be outperformed by AI, all this could turn very fast to farming boarded ships.

Back
Top Bottom