Twinfinite - Recent PC JRPG Trend

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Mike Geib has a new article on Twinfinite about the latest trend with JRPG games finally being released on the PC in the west again. I hope the trend continues.

Though some of you hate JRPG's some of us do not.
smiley-tongue-out.gif

This quote comes from Manga: the Complete Guide by Jason Thompson (a great reference if you’re a fan); its context is a brief discussion on manga (Japanese comics) based on video games. The book itself was published in 2007, and its claim was quite true at the time. Japanese PC games, largely consisting of visual novels and a few RPGs, have never had a place in the U.S.

And now? What a time to be alive! Thanks to a number of factors this is no longer true and some great gems from the East are finally making it to the West. Given the history, however, can we expect this trend to continue?

Of course, we’re not just talking about the visual novels and dating sims that the Japanese are so fond of playing. Though they too are rising in popularity, their niche will always be relatively small. On the other hand, there are more than a few RPGs that hit Japanese PCs almost a decade ago that are only now making it to Western desktops.
More information.

Last edited:
Though some of you hate JRPG's some of us do not.
Let's not forget there is also a certain minority that hates only unavoidable grindy and checkpoint savesystems jRPGs, but adores others.

Let's not forget there is also a certain minority that hates only unavoidable grindy and checkpoint savesystems jRPGs, but adores others.

Indeed, and from those 2 evils, remove the grind and I can still enjoy a checkpoint save system, but not the other way around. Mandatory grind is the devil.

I don't mind grinding if the combats good.

Wizardry 1 is one of my all time favorite games and grinding was pretty much mandatory.

Kill a couple undead kobolds, hopefully make it to a Murphy's ghost then get the hell back to town before you die. Good stuff, well for me anyways.

Grinding isn't always fun, but I love JRPG's because they tend to be so much more colorful than so many western games, and there's a certain ambiance that happens with the mix of Japanese composers and artists that's hard for a westerner to reproduce. Plus, how many of us grew up on the old 8- and 16-bit Final Fantasy ports? I revisit childhood a little every time I play something that reminds me of Final Fantasy II (before it was 4).

Grinding isn't always fun, but I love JRPG's because they tend to be so much more colorful than so many western games, and there's a certain ambiance that happens with the mix of Japanese composers and artists that's hard for a westerner to reproduce. Plus, how many of us grew up on the old 8- and 16-bit Final Fantasy ports? I revisit childhood a little every time I play something that reminds me of Final Fantasy II (before it was 4).

That's exactly the reason I don't like them. ^^

And while I never played FF as I hate it's style, one of my favorite Remixes has it's origin there. ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IuGtRk6sPGE

In any case: The more the better. As long as they leave "my" classical PC games alone ;)

So Kordanor, I take it you're on the other side of the fence? Are you a fan of darker/grimmer styles?

I love me some JRPGs, I'm glad more of them are getting released on PC.

Doesn't "PC JRPGs" basically mean Falcom's back catalogue? I think they were pretty much the only (well, non-doujin) company developing these games on PC. Sadly I doubt there are that many of them that will be commercially viable to bring over, though I want to see Xanadu Next.

Even Falcom gave up on the PC a few years ago for the portable Sony platforms.

I use to like the genre a lot, but now that I'm older I have a much harder time with their stories, which for the most part are made with a teenage audience in mind. If the gameplay is satisfying enough and the story can be skipped (or is minimal) I can usually bear it though.

So Kordanor, I take it you're on the other side of the fence? Are you a fan of darker/grimmer styles?

Guess you could say so. Counting myself to the edge of the goth scene might underline that. ;)

But while I prefer games in postapocalyptic, grim settings it's not just that.
Thing is that most of these games (and PC RPGs in general, not all of them ofc) come with some sense of realism. And a world which is logical in itself is necessary for immersion for me.

Asian games and anime mostly don't offer that. They want to be bright/funny instead, often going into extreme fantasy which doesn't make any sense. Like heroes who encounter evil furry-balls or bubblegum-monsters and to defeat them they summon house-high gods who then appear, attack the monsters once, and vanish again. I just can't stand it. The sword on the cover of FF VII is enough already. If I want comedy I play funny games instead like "Grotesque Tactics" or an Adventure game.

In addition it isn't helpful in that matter that I also hate console controls. ^^

But as mentioned before - as long as they stay away pouring their influence over western PC RPGs, I am fine with others enjoying them. ;)

The vast majority of those are indie RPG Maker projects though.
I know thats why I said more on the way.;)

Seriously though there are a few new Non-RPG Maker games also. You just have to visit the right sites to find out more information.

Squaresoft might even release the next Final Fantasy game on the PC. They haven't bothered sine the 8th installment which is now on Steam also.

Link- http://www.gamespot.com/articles/square-enix-wants-to-bring-final-fantasy-games-to-pc/1100-6417852/

Last edited:
About 3 years ago I played my first JRPG again, which was the first time after about 19 years. My very first was on my old nintendo, which was the only console I ever owned. 3 years ago I was very happy to play the JRPG, and I still play one now and again, though I definately prefer western RPGs. I have two main gripes with JRPGs. The first is that in many JRPGs the main characters are kids. The second is that the story is presented like a visual novel with no input from the player. I don't like either of these aspects. That said, I've really enjoyed some JRPGs, Septerra Core, for example. Also the more RPGS, the better. Though I'll always prefer Western RPGS, I don't mind a JRPG now and again.

Indeed, because Japan doesn't have a Dungeons & Dragons tradition, and JRPGs are based on early computer ports of Western RPGs like Wizardry and The Black Onyx (a game made by a Westerner living in Japan), there are no skill checks affecting the gameplay. As I grow older, I like having agency over what I do in my games.

I will still play one once in a while because Japan still makes a lot of turn-based games with interesting gameplay mechanics or experiments and rewarding experiments. When there is less room for that however I am less interested.

I still have to complete the PC port of Trails in the Sky.

Back
Top Bottom