Dragon Age 2 - Mike Laidlaw Interview

Playing the demo I think many women in DA 2 are suffering from gigantomastia …

Mmmm, the thread has moved on a bit but I just want to respond to this. The lord of the rings (and many good novels) use the principle of 'in media res' to begin their story. Ie, they hurl you right into an event without much explaining the context, characters or backstory. Those elements are gradually sketched in as you continue reading.

Which is the narrative equivalent of what laidlow is talking about for RPG game design. You don't throw the world backstory at the player in the start of a novel, you reveal it as they continue reading. Laidlow is talking about not throwing all the RPG game mechanics at the player to start but sketching them in as you go along, after the starting point.

Just saying, LOTR or novels aren't a good example. They almost all start with the 'narrative ABCs', focusing on core characters and their relationships as well as the basic plot hook before spinning out the rest of the exposition and backstory. If novels worked like RPGs are structured, the first 3 chapters would be a long exposition on the history and mechanics of the gameworld.

The idea that you can or should build a game only for people who are already familiar with the mechanics is just elitism. How the hell do people ever learn to play DnD then, of any edition? Do they just appear out of the ether, fully aware of the rules? Does it completely ruin a game campaign for the experienced players if the DM allows a new guy to join and spends some time helping them get up to speed?

People are being pretty silly about this. Played the DA2 demo, the 'easing in' is what, 20 minutes? And it's not like you can't have a hardcore RPG without an initial character creation screen. Gothics, anyone? Even the Witcher IIRC started you off with a set character and only let you make choices when you had levelled up for the first time.

Eh, actually LOTR has this whole thing "about hobbits" and more exposition than you could stuff into old Bullrattler.
I guess its just tiring that every sequel tries to outdo itself to make it even MORE easy than the last one. I mean if AoD sold 3 million copies, maybe it actually did an outstanding job of easing people into its world and gameplay already?
And when is the last time we heard a developer talk about the new cool skills they introduce with the new version (without cutting 5 others at the same time), the entirely new mechanics that wait for you to master or (*gasp*) advertising that their new game will really challenge the fans of the last title by a higher level of difficulty? Its just so tiring that its always about accessibility. Is it really elitism to ask people to put in some effort to play your game? Make it so awesome that they WANT to! Make them flock to your strategy forums and buy the game guide. That's what I would like to see more of.

P.S.:
Mmmm, the thread has moved on a bit
... Understatement of the decade...

Playing the demo I think many women in DA 2 are suffering from gigantomastia …

You should see the post where someone asked why the breasts are huge and not smaller. It was flagged as inappropriate and locked right away. Did I say I hate the bioware moderators.:D

No, actually I haven't, but it's predictable that you would attempt to make it sound that way.

For the past week you've done nothing but basically attack anyone who has an opinion that differs from your own.

Can you show me where please? I stated what I thought was good, commented on others ideas. But, nope no attacks sorry. Just so I'm clear, is attack have the same meaning as disagree to you? Nice little jab on my spelling back there, I'm sure you can do better then that.

Can you show me where please? I stated what I thought was good, commented on others ideas. But, nope no attacks sorry. Just so I'm clear, is attack have the same meaning as disagree to you? Nice little jab on my spelling back there, I'm sure you can do better then that.

Actually yes, I could give examples, but I really have no desire to drag this out even further. On the other hand, it seems to be your intent to simply fan the flames at this point. Why suddenly respond to that post now, when you were here earlier and didn't respond then? Please refrain from addressing me any further, and I'll show you the same courtesy.

Actually yes, I could give examples, but I really have no desire to drag this out even further. On the other hand, it seems to be your intent to simply fan the flames at this point. Why suddenly respond to that post now, when you were here earlier and didn't respond then? Please refrain from addressing me any further, and I'll show you the same courtesy.

Good, I was thinking the same thing. Didn't respond earlier because I was on my phone, although you were clearly looking for a response by that comment. I think I know your game, and I'm happy to stay clear from it. Funny I have no problem discussing with others who aren't as militant as you and Dart huh? I mean, christ, look at your sig, how is that not lookin for comments, childish as it is.

I will do you the curtesy of not responding to your stuff, I was already at the point to be honest, since the majority of it was there to get a rise out of people.

I guess it was naive of me to think you would just accept my offer without simultaneously attacking me (and someone else at the same time). There's no game here, and I doubt you're fooling anyone with your attempt at playing the victim. Even to the very end you still insist on trying to put all the blame on others.

The sig is nothing more than sarcastic humor, and if it bothers you that much you should probably ask yourself why. Now let's end this crap.

OK enough, of this off topic stuff.

Anyone actually want to discuss the game, or talk about different views....you know different ideas that are not the same??

Back
Top Bottom