Icewind Dale: EE - News Roudnup

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
I managed to find a new interview today on PCGamesN for Icewind Dale: EE.

Beamdog have unearthed and restored five quests, which constitute four or five hours worth of material cut from the original game. With access to Black Isle’s design docs, they were able to determine which ideas were cut due to time constraints, and which Avellone and friends would probably prefer left buried.

“It’s like going in and finding Tolkien’s notes and trying to write the next book,” said Oster. “It’s really intimidating to start, but you’ve got most of his thoughts for the first third and you’ve just got to finish it up. At the end of it you get something you’re pretty proud of.”

There’s a sense that Beamdog are continuing a tradition that modders have engaged in for a decade - digging through the files of western RPGs and dredging up quests lost in hurried development cycles.

“Often it’s the same story,” agreed Oster. “You’ve got a lot of good plot ideas, you implement all of them, and late in the game you’re like, ‘We’ve only got time to fix 80% of the bugs. So 20%, we’ve just got to cut those off and bury them somewhere’. And that’s what you do.”
I also found two new reviews that were released today.

Invision Community - 4/5

I was into AD&D in the early 80’s. Later, when the original game came out, I loved it for it’s great graphics and deep story line which reminded me of the games I’d played with friends. This version is a great throwback to the first one; although the ‘enhancements’ don’t make the game boldly different for me, it’s still excellent role-playing!
GameBanshee - No Score

If you haven't played Icewind Dale yet, then you should definitely give the Enhanced Edition a try. The Infinity Engine games make up one of the cornerstones of CRPG history, and they're all worth playing. But if you already own Icewind Dale, then the answer is a little more difficult because most of the enhancements are available for free from mods. As I was playing the EE, I was sort of wondering why anybody with bother with it when they could just play a modded version of the original game, but then just like with my recent review for Xenonauts, I went back and tried playing the original game again, and I figured out the answer: the interface.
More information.

It certainly seems very nice. I haven´t done much more than than tried out the pre-made party for a little while but I´m sorely tempted to keep playing right away.

Still, I will inevitably start over with a "self-made" party of characters and I´d really enjoy it if it was possible to have at least ONE npc-character in the party with dialogue, personality and all the "BG-stuff".

I guess I´ll have to look over all available mods before I start playing for real.

Last edited:
The contest is ending today, and the lazy team members haven't picked their favorites yet. Now I already already picked my top five so I'm all set.;)

Hopefully we will have the winners by the weekend.:)

Last edited:
Alas, I've already played this too many times to want to do it again. For me, the IWD games just don't have the same replay value as the BG series. But I wish them success with their sales.

I don't understand why they were able to, legally speaking, restore lost content on IWD, but they said they legally couldn't do it for BG.

In some interview Trent said this time around they dealt with Wizards directly and not Atari.

Makes sense, thanks. Would be nice if they could now go back and do it in BG and BG2, but I guess that's a pipe dream.

This is maybe a stupid question but is there multiplayer for Android?

Yes, there is. I pushed the button last night, but didn't see any games listed to join. I didn't try creating one. Maybe no one made one yet. This was pretty soon after release and sales were quite low. For some reason, you could find the game by searching Google Play, but it wasn't listed as a new release.

EDIT: I just tried muliplayer again today. There were 30-50 people hosting games.

Last edited:
I don't understand why they were able to, legally speaking, restore lost content on IWD, but they said they legally couldn't do it for BG.

there are extenuating legal reasons

The kids keep mining that ring for all sorts unfleshed out business then sueing anything that smells similar, even though much of it is deliberately derivative of the germanic folklore their ancestral Jutes, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Norweigians and Normans brought with them.

Yes, there is. I pushed the button last night, but didn't see any games listed to join. I didn't try creating one. Maybe no one made one yet. This was pretty soon after release and sales were quite low. For some reason, you could find the game by searching Google Play, but it wasn't listed as a new release.

EDIT: I just tried muliplayer again today. There were 30-50 people hosting games.

OK, if I get a key maybe we should MP. We could hook up as Corwin's Crew.

OK, if I get a key maybe we should MP. We could hook up as Corwin's Crew.

LOl
Actually the reason I asked was that this game without the NPC personalities shines more in multiplayer. I played a bunch of IWD 2 in multiplayer.

I'm not sure which contents you are referring to, but there's mod out there called "Unfinished Business" you might be interested:

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=content&task=blogcategory&id=101&Itemid=80

http://www.pocketplane.net/mambo/index.php?option=com_content&task=blogcategory&id=161&Itemid=114

So has anyone noticed this improved pathfinding?
My characters still get stuck on each other during combat, get blocked by others during whole group moving and decide to go through a different path that does not lead to where whole group is going and suddenly changing direction as a whole group creates all sorts of problems. Not to mention my archer in last row tends to get slowed down by everyone he needs to pass by while trying to get into range to interupt that spell that enemy is casting :(

Back
Top Bottom