The Technomancer - Review Roundup

Myrthos

Cave Canem
Administrator
Reminds me to buy less games at launch instead of waiting for a sale while going through my backlog x) I have no doubt I can enjoy the game and the scores go from average to supposedly good (even if in some cases a 6/10 is considered bad for whatever messed up reason). But patience is a virtue, and a wallet saver.

Reminds me to buy less games at launch instead of waiting for a sale while going through my backlog x) I have no doubt I can enjoy the game and the scores go from average to supposedly good (even if in some cases a 6/10 is considered bad for whatever messed up reason). But patience is a virtue, and a wallet saver.

This is very true and I have feeling the price of this game will drop substantially in month time too based on soso reviews.

For me the only reason to buy a game at release is if some of my friends are going to buy it at release since then we can talk about! Otherwise they will be going on about how great it is and I will feel left out :)

Not bad, but I expected 70+ as average. Still, even Nostradamus was off a couple of times. :p
Anyone from here planning on reviewing it? Comm'on Maylander! ;)

IMO many reviewers either didn't play the game or have a shit taste.
5/10 in normal world should mean - mediocre. All those reviewers praised mediocre maybe even worse than that MMOs like Division. Here they're training strictness on a proper RPG title just because it isn't full of Transformers movies explosions and because there is no filthy rich publisher behind the game. Bah.
The game is above average. Whoever tells you it isn't, doesn't speak the truth.

EDIT:
A honest question.
How come no reviewer shows their game achievements ever. Because achievements suck. I agree those suck but this is about reviewers' credibility.
I would love to see how many of those reviewers achieved "finished game" and "finished at least 20 sidequests".

Last edited:
Not bad, but I expected 70+ as average. Still, even Nostradamus was off a couple of times. :p
Anyone from here planning on reviewing it? Comm'on Maylander! ;)

I might. But it won't be for a while, so if nobody else has done it by the time I play it I'll consider doing it.

5/10 in normal world should mean - mediocre. All those reviewers praised mediocre maybe even worse than that MMOs like Division. Here they're training strictness on a proper RPG title just because it isn't full of Transformers movies explosions and because there is no filthy rich publisher behind the game. Bah.
The game is above average. Whoever tells you it isn't, doesn't speak the truth.

I agree with Joxer here. Most reviewers, especially mainstream ones, act kinda condescendent when reviewing games from AAA devs. I preordered the game and I have yet to play it, in order to make my own opinion about it, but I really hope that Spiders have made a game better than Mars: War Logs.

I agree with Joxer here. Most reviewers, especially mainstream ones, act kinda condescendent when reviewing games from AAA devs. I preordered the game and I have yet to play it, in order to make my own opinion about it, but I really hope that Spiders have made a game better than Mars: War Logs.

Sometime I get the feeling that these so called reviewers have a quota for good reviews and bad reviews. Since they always praise games from big developer/publisher they are unfairly harsh on medium/small developers.

Review at Gamepressure is missing in the summary. Thx, Silver!
http://www.gamepressure.com/e.asp?ID=842

PROS:
- Magnificent atmosphere of a ruined Martian colony – mature and dismal, but not without a certain charm
- A great emphasis on choices, consequences and relations with factions and companions
- Captivating story, well written and well acted dialogues
- Very good character development and combat mechanics
- Quality audio and video layer
- Nice interface – transparent, aesthetic, functional

CONS:
- Lots of backtracking
- Poor facial animations
- The game world is not really lively
- Regular crashes
- Smaller mistakes such as funny AI, problems with camera in narrow spaces, poor stealth elements

--------

5/10 in normal world should mean - mediocre. All those reviewers praised mediocre maybe even worse than that MMOs like Division.
….
I would love to see how many of those reviewers achieved "finished game" and "finished at least 20 sidequests".

Probably third or half of them doesnt. I wonder if someone stopped at the end of linear tutorial section. :)

There is no big publisher with additional motivation (paid advertisement… do you remember Swen Vincke and his experience?) so… in order to balance hyped reviews of AAA, they usually bash unknown games to look like honest site.

And as I wrote yesterday…. many reviewers, especially externs, have ZERO interest in unknown games so they want to finish it quickly. Some of them even admit that he/she didnt have much interest in the game. I noticed it yesterday in one Technomancer review too :)… Im not kidding - its pretty hilarious to see honest reviewer who say openly that he wanted to play and review Mirrors Edge instead of Technomancer. :lol:

I'll give it a go, but I'm not sure I'll write a review. Depends how it turns out. :)

Sometime I get the feeling that these so called reviewers have a quota for good reviews and bad reviews. Since they always praise games from big developer/publisher they are unfairly harsh on medium/small developers.

So you think reviewers should use a golfing handicap to grade the games based upon the budget of the developer/publisher? All else being equal, you'd expect big developer/publishers to create bigger, better, and more lavish games because they have the resources to throw at the effort. That's just reality.

So you think reviewers should use a golfing handicap to grade the games based upon the budget of the developer/publisher? All else being equal, you'd expect big developer/publishers to create bigger, better, and more lavish games because they have the resources to throw at the effort. That's just reality.

What I am saying that golfing handicap already exist and its in the favour of big developer/publisher regardless of the crap they come up with. For example, if a game is by Beth or Bio then the score is +10 even before the reviewer had a chance to look at it. But it will be -10, if its from some unknown developer.

What I am saying that golfing handicap already exist and its in the favour of big developer/publisher regardless of the crap they come up with. For example, if a game is by Beth or Bio then the score is +10 even before the reviewer had a chance to look at it. But it will be -10, if its from some unknown developer.

Realistically and hopefully objectively, this might just boil down to the positive impact of advertising. The reason manufacturers and publishers spend massive money for advertising is that it does work in shaping consumer's views of products and the value of products.

So the big publishers spend lots of money to promote their products long before release. Consumers including reviewing consumers have a higher familiarity and more favorable view of the big publisher products from the get-go. More "what is this exactly?" types of views for the small publisher products initially. Hence better reviews for heavily advertised products in the normal course of events.

__

This Steam sale I looked at what is offered, then I looked at my bank balance and then I looked at my backlog that consists of such good games like WL2DC, Shadowrun HK, Kotor 2(with community mods) and some others and came to the same conclusion :D
So now I am finishing Siege of Dragonspear and will move on to other games. By next Steam sale I will be ready to get some new good games cheap :)

Realistically and hopefully objectively, this might just boil down to the positive impact of advertising. The reason manufacturers and publishers spend massive money for advertising is that it does work in shaping consumer's views of products and the value of products.

So the big publishers spend lots of money to promote their products long before release. Consumers including reviewing consumers have a higher familiarity and more favorable view of the big publisher products from the get-go. More "what is this exactly?" types of views for the small publisher products initially. Hence better reviews for heavily advertised products in the normal course of events.

__

Not disagreeing and not just adverting but developers past record also come into this as well. For example, both Beth and Bio have created some awesome games in the past.

All I am saying is that, when I look at these reviews to make up my mind, I will do +10 to small dev and -10 to big dev in my head!

Not disagreeing and not just adverting but developers past record also come into this as well. For example, both Beth and Bio have created some awesome games in the past.

All I am saying is that, when I look at these reviews to make up my mind, I will do +10 to small dev and -10 to big dev in my head!

Sounds reasonable to me. :)

There have been a number of lesser known publisher games where I've been pleasantly surprised to find games I really enjoyed even though the ratings were low (the Risen, Gothic, and some of the Drakensang: The Dark Eye series spring to mind) and some highly rated big publisher games I found my enjoyment sadly lower than the ratings (DA2 and KotOR2 as initially released, immediately spring to mind but I know there are others).

So back on topic; I calculate an average of 6/10 for the above ratings -- adjusted up by 10 would give a 7/10 score -- probably worth a try.

--

Wasn't this game in the top most anticipated games of 2016? The reviews are mediocre at best on Steam, I would say 5/10.

Wasn't this game in the top most anticipated games of 2016? The reviews are mediocre at best on Steam, I would say 5/10.

Currently on Steam:
37 Recommended
2 Not Recommended

pretty darn good

__

Bought it, played it, and I'm enjoying it. So the reviewers can kiss my behind.:lonely:

My score - 7.5/10

It's to bad Focus Home is the publisher again as Spiders can do a lot better if they had a publisher willing to fund them better. Oh well back to playing Technomancer.

I don't think it's anything like that. I think it boils down to a couple things.

I think most of these reviewers are younger and like games with higher production values, They are probably a lot more mainstream than many here at the watch and thier tastes just differ from us.

As for the scores I'd guess most are right. I played and enjoyed of Orc and men, Mars: war logs and bound by flame but I would say they were all average games. So a 5 on a true 1-10 doesn't surprise me at all.

Anyway, I don't lend any weight to any review score except my own. So when I'm done with dark souls 3 I'll rate technomancer myself.:)

Back
Top Bottom