Runemaster - Preview @ IncGamers

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
IncGamers has a new preview of Paradox's New RPG Runemaster.

We were shown from the character creation process of a Human Berserker. The normal map mode has the character in the center of the screen, with the camera pulled back behind the character and raised in the air. The character spawned at a starting city and began to run around, we were told that it would be the same view even when you have a large army.

We didn’t get to see Runemaster’s tactical combat but we were told that “It will be on a hex grid with forces opposing each other. Terrain will matter, and objects can be used to block areas. Units on the grid can be singular or many, the hero or a giant might take up a space but a squad of dwarfs might fit 6 or 8 in a single space. Troop types will be varied and the army composition is a tactical choice by the player. Based on your hero’s class the supporting army should be different.”

Linda told us that “Runemaster will feature an emergent story system, a quest system that shapes future experiences. If you choose greedy types of things in quests, you will get more greedy options in future quests.”
More information.

I think this this is the first RPG from Paradox's in-house studio. It will be interesting to see how they do, given their strong focus on grand strategy. Also if they bring their expansive DLC/patch model to this game.

It sounds like an SRPG, and I think that sort of plays to their strength. The combat definately sounds more like King's Bounty. However, that the hero is in battles himself, it reminds me of Disciples.

I think this this is the first RPG from Paradox's in-house studio. It will be interesting to see how they do, given their strong focus on grand strategy. Also if they bring their expansive DLC/patch model to this game.

Doesn't really sound like an RPG, to me. Sounds like a strategy game with RPG elements. I'm not sure if I mean that in a good way or not. Master of Magic was one of my all time favorite games but that was 20 years ago. I vastly prefer wargames to "strategy" games these days, and both can be had with RPG elements.

Back
Top Bottom