DA:Inquisition - Wins Game of the Year Award

aries100

SasqWatch
As usual I'll repeat myself.
When any RPG takes the award, I'm happy. While IMO DA3 did not deserve to win compared to other better RPGs, seems the history repeats where a bug-o-rama won over TW2 and DX:HR. Still was RPG so… Still okay.

But let's see the competition here:
Far Cry 4 - season pass scamware
Shadow of Mordor - fans' betrayal because the source material is about a party
Destiny - overhyped disappointing repetitive garbage probably noone plays any more
Hearthstone - a proper deck of yu-gi-oh cards will beat this unbalanced junk any day

If someone told me to pick among those 5 nominees I'd click on DA3 without thinking.

If someone told me to pick among those 5 nominees I'd click on DA3.
I agree Joxer only because of the games they selected to vote for.:)

Here's the full list of winners:

Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Outstanding Achievement in Game Direction: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement in Game Design: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
DICE Sprite Award: Transistor
Action Game of the Year: Destiny
Fighting Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Racing Game of the Year: Mario Kart 8
Sports Game of the Year: FIFA 15
Outstanding Innovation in Gaming: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement in Character: Talion - Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement in Story: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement in Sound Design: Destiny
Outstanding Achievement in Original Music Composition: Destiny
Strategy/Simulation Game of the Year: Hearthstone
Role Playing and Massively Multiplayer Game of the Year: Dragon Age: Inquisition
Outstanding Achievement in Online Gameplay: Destiny
Outstanding Technical Achievement: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Outstanding Achievement in Art Direction: Monument Valley
Outstanding Achievement in Animation: Middle-Earth Shadow of Mordor
Handheld Game of the Year: Super Smash Bros for 3DS
Mobile Game of the Year: Hearthstone Heroes of Warcraft
Family Game of the Year: LittleBigPlanet 3
Adventure Game of the Year: Middle Earth Shadow of Mordor
Pioneer Awards: Ralp Baer, Al Alcorn
Inaugural Technical Impact Award: Apple for the App Store

holy crap mordor best game design, that was the most boring game of 2014 :lol:

While important for the industry, awards given by the mutual adoration society like D.I.C.E. mean little to players like us.

I don't know about best game but for fun factor shadows of Mordor is miles ahead of DAI.

For me at least.

Shouldn't it always be for the fun factor? I mean... it's not that we're trying to be productive with video games or something.

It should. That's why DA3 couldn't enter my top3 games when we voted on RPGwatch.
Sure, it does have fun content. But it just couldn't cover too much of the annoying parts. I've simply had more fun with some other games.

I'm slightly disturbed at how overrated Shadow of Mordor is, but I guess that's all down to subjective preferences :)

Destiny is one of the most hollow games I've ever had the misfortune of playing, and it was a major disappointment to me.

I guess I'm not much in tune with D.I.C.E :)

Congrats to Bioware and the team who made the game! I haven't played it yet (and won't for a long time), so I have no further comments. :)

When any RPG takes the award, I'm happy.

Something we can agree on! ;)

I'm slightly disturbed at how overrated Shadow of Mordor is, but I guess that's all down to subjective preferences :)

Destiny is one of the most hollow games I've ever had the misfortune of playing, and it was a major disappointment to me.

I guess I'm not much in tune with D.I.C.E :)
I agree 100% with you! Mordor…such a trite, simplistic, formulaic game. It is fun…but not remarkable.

Destiny…an abomination of game design: shallow, pointless, and plays into weak minds and addiction problems. Actually, that goes for Hearthstone, too.

That being said, I do love DAI so D.I.C.E. aren't total nutcases.

Definitely is, I feel the same way except about DAI. I read all the praise on the web and even here at the watch and think I need to give this game another shot. Then I fire it up and start playing and it seems ok until I run in to some combat and I think I can't stomach an entire game of this and I exit. Subjective preference indeed.

As for mordor I think everything it tries to do it does pretty well but I can see people not caring for it as it is very repetitive. I just happen to really like everything it keeps repeating.

What do I know though, my game of the year would be lords of the fallen.:)

I don't know what DLC it is, I remember being shocked that there is a DLC for that game.
But honestly all I know about that game is that there were reports that it's utterly broken and DRM was suspected for that which wasn't true.
To this day I don't know if it's storydriven c&c heavy RPG or is a grinding linear diabloclone that can be fun to me only with norespawn mod.

I don't know what DLC it is, I remember being shocked that there is a DLC for that game.
But honestly all I know about that game is that there were reports that it's utterly broken and DRM was suspected for that which wasn't true.
To this day I don't know if it's storydriven c&c heavy RPG or is a grinding linear diabloclone that can be fun to me only with norespawn mod.

It's a dark souls clone so you'd want to stay far away. It was released in a pretty rough state but they have been very good at patching it.

As for DLC, when it release I'll be purchasing day one as I will the sequel.

DA3 has it's minor faults (some menu consolization, grindy multiplayer, etc.), but it's a gorgeous game with a lot of value. It has big areas, awesome combat and it's a huge step forward in the series overall. While I enjoy super tactical RPG combat like DAO, I can live with the adjustments made here. I can easily see why it's getting GOTY awards left & right. I felt Mordor was on it's heels but in the end DAI just has more to do. Divinity was great but doesn't measure up to the grandeur that is DAI & Mordor.

I haven't played a single game on that list. :p

Definitely is, I feel the same way except about DAI. I read all the praise on the web and even here at the watch and think I need to give this game another shot. Then I fire it up and start playing and it seems ok until I run in to some combat and I think I can't stomach an entire game of this and I exit. Subjective preference indeed.

Well...the real star of DAI is the world itself. They created such vibrant and visually interesting locations (in my artistic opinion). The combat is basic but at least it has you use skills and swap party members and stuff, unlike Mordor which relies almost entirely on QTE-button-prompts.

Mordor also has a very generic world that relies on the Ubisoft-collectible formula instead of creating logical environments. For example, why are there tons of Towers in Mordor, located so close to each other? Because the player uses them to unlock all the map activities, a la AC/Far Cry/Blah blah.

DAI's world is so much more organic and real in design and layout. Again, I think the real star of DAI is the world design, which is top-notch IMO. It took a huge page from Skyrim and built a big, honest world to explore. Just my opinion I suppose.

Well…the real star of DAI is the world itself. They created such vibrant and visually interesting locations (in my artistic opinion). The combat is basic but at least it has you use skills and swap party members and stuff, unlike Mordor which relies almost entirely on QTE-button-prompts.

Mordor also has a very generic world that relies on the Ubisoft-collectible formula instead of creating logical environments. For example, why are there tons of Towers in Mordor, located so close to each other? Because the player uses them to unlock all the map activities, a la AC/Far Cry/Blah blah.

DAI's world is so much more organic and real in design and layout. Again, I think the real star of DAI is the world design, which is top-notch IMO. It took a huge page from Skyrim and built a big, honest world to explore. Just my opinion I suppose.

I can't really comment on DAI's world because I can't stand the combat long enough to discover it.

The terrible tactical camera, the neutered tactic, poor companion AI ( they often chase enemies forever or I'll put my archer on high ground to take advantage of the terrain bonus and the moment I turn my back he's between 2 guys getting hacked and trying to shoot them point blank), the boring Diablo clicking while you wait for cool downs, etc.

As for mordor combat, yes there are QTE's. ( I don't really have a problem with that but I know many hate them) the combat though is rhythm based and much more fluid. There are skills to get at level up and use, you can play vertically, use the environment ( beehives, exploding fires, summon caragors, etc. also you have the nemesis system and get skills to take control of enemies to set up ambushes for war Chiefs. The stealth system of mordor is also far superior to DAI.

That's why I perfer mordor combat. Sad thing is, bioware already had a good combat system in their 2 previous games but they seem to need to reinvent their games with every release rather than carry over what works and adding new things.

Back
Top Bottom