Seven Dragon Saga - Kickstarter Date

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Tactical Simulations Interactive announced today on Twitter they will be launching their new kickstarter for Seven Dragon Saga this Wednesday March 11th.

Gold Box fans rejoice! TSI is launching our Kickstarter this Wednesday, March 11th. Show support for our RPG: Seven Dragon Saga!
So look forward to more information later this week.

More information.

Little typo there, though an announcement on twister would have been interesting as well ;)

I hope this KS project and Dungeons of Aledorn which goes live on the 11th as well, don't hurt each other.

I hate auto correct and I'm going to disable it. Can't believe I missed that.:embarrassed:

Their PR department is really laking. There should be hype interviews and what not. I hope the media will get caught with the kickstarter as soon as it launch.

Their PR department is really laking. There should be hype interviews and what not. I hope the media will get caught with the kickstarter as soon as it launch.

On Matt Chat they were almost... secretive. Granted, that was months ago.

I hope their KS pitch isn't just photoshop paintings stitched together with a warm fuzzy fluff of air commentary and feathers...

PCgamer magazine interview with David Shelley and David Klein.
not sure if it was posted online.

cbnhkltg.vgw.jpg

qgxzugja.3a5.jpg

I'm curious how much their initial goal is going to be… The gold box games are well liked but not very well known, (certainly not among many people under 30) so I have no idea what they're capable of raising… Hopefully they'll get a shoutout from Brian Fargo / inXile, Obsidian, Harebrained Schemes, etc.

Unfortunately I don't see them raising a lot without such help since these developers aren't exactly famous... Probably will have about as hard of a time getting media coverage as Guido Henkel did. But perhaps this is a "the game is nearly complete and we just need a little money for polishing" situation and their goal will be low It will also make a huge difference if they have gameplay footage and screenshots to show.

Last edited:
I'm still unclear how this is related to the Gold Box games, other than by possessing a similar company name and some of the same people. The background sounds all new. I guess if it has turn-based tactical combat with a party of companions (like the Gold Box Games) then it's worth a watch. But for me at least, the IE games came the closest to a successor, even if they were RTwP.

They also posted more information on the games webpage.

Link - http://www.tsi-games.com/tsi-kickstarter-this-wednesday-march-11th/
Gold Box fans rejoice! TSI is launching our Kickstarter this Wednesday, March 11th. Show your support for our exciting single player RPG: Seven Dragon Saga.We’re back from GDC and happy to share details about what we’ve been working on.

In case you missed the announcement, GamesBeat did a terrific article on our “Gateway” initiative for transferring characters across games beginning with support from inXile and HareBrained Schemes. Read more about it here:http://venturebeat.com/2015/03/02/ex-ssi-gold-box-devs-go-back-to-the-future-with-tools-to-transfer-characters-across-role-playing-games/

SSI alumni and Gold Box veterans David Shelley and Paul Murray, along with the rest of the TSI team are proud to bring you an exciting new challenge. Whether you remember playing Pool of Radiance, Curse of the Azure Bonds, and Wizard’s Crown or simply enjoy a quality RPG with tactical combat Seven Dragon Saga is for YOU!

But this can only happen with your help. As an indie studio, we are looking to our fans to fund a significant portion of the development through our upcoming Kickstarter campaign, which begins on March 11th. We aren’t shy about our ambitions to make a great game, but that takes additional resources and effort.
Beyond funding, we are inviting you in on the making of Seven Dragon Saga. Increasingly fan feedback has been integral to the creative process that gives rise to innovative games. We hope you’ll assist us in this adventure!”
We hope you will help spread the word and show your support when our campaign goes live this Wednesday at 10AM PDT.

They are invoking a hallowed name, with the almighty Gold Box. Expectations will be exceptionally high, and I'm not sure kids today under the age of 20 could actually figure out a complex, hard-core tactical game. I'm willing to throw some cash at them to find out, however. But there should only be two modes for a game styled after the SSI gods......hard core, and gtfo.

PCgamer magazine interview with David Shelley and David Klein.
not sure if it was posted online.

cbnhkltg.vgw.jpg

qgxzugja.3a5.jpg

Links to your Walla mailbox won't work. Can you upload these to Imgur? Also, which issue of PC Gamer were they in?

Going to back this.

Ah, I've seen those. That's PC Powerplay, not PC Gamer.

I am interested in this. If the pitch is good and lowest backing tier is not too high I will be in. I hope what they have ready for us will have a D&D feel.

That's a very insightful post.

I'm assuming you mean kids would be able to play hardcore games.
If so, I agree. I think "older" people overestimate what they did or used to do and underestimate "younger" people's capabilities.

Human beings haven't changed so much in this short timeframe and all it would take is some adjustment.

I do think that it's possible some kids won't enjoy some of those puzzles, but that's a different matter. Enjoyment changes over time and with people. My girlfriend for example cannot fathom how I can sit in front of my computer playing games for hours....

Yeah I think there's lots of kids who can appreciate hardcore CRPGs. And for better or for worse, Seven Dragon Saga is apparently designed so you don't have to deal with the frustration that often comes with starting games with a first level party.

I think the main barrier that might prevent younger gamers from playing this game (and any indie CRPG for that matter) is the difficulty in discovering it. A couple of decades ago, the best way to discover computer games was probably to just walk into your local electronics / game store and see what was on the shelf. Now there are far fewer stores and while I haven't set foot in a Gamestop in years, I recall a small PC games being hidden off in a tiny corner last time I was there…

Obviously fewer PC games are even getting physical retail releases these days and the main way for people to buy games is to find them on Steam, GOG, etc. Unfortunately, particularly in the case of Steam there is so much crap to wade through that the good games can easily become buried… So unless a game like SDS gets exceptionally high reviews, I fear it is unlikely that most kids won't even hear about it.

It will likely be up to us old geezers to fund the game on Kickstarter because many of the young whipper snappers probably haven't even heard of Gold Box games or never had an opportunity to play them…. And it will also be up to us to sing the game's praises all over the interwebs after it is released, so that poor deprived youth who want something deeper than the AAA console crap they've had to make due with bizarre mixture of pleasure and pain that only a real CRPG can bring.

Back
Top Bottom