Game of Thrones

Yes, I was very pleased with how they handled everything. The feel, blood, acting, sex, violence and atmosphere was just right and mostly as I envisioned it. If they can keep this up, it's gonna be my favorite series of all time! Certainly makes up for that Legend of the Keeper fiasco!

Just watched the premiere too - very good! Well cast, although I must admit that the pretty people (Cersei and Jaime) weren't quite as pretty as I expected ;-) I'm really keen to see how Tyrion's performance carries through - he was easily my favorite character. I see they already have season 2 in the bag - good news!

IMO, Jaime is sort of bland and generic "handsome guy" seeming so far. Cersei is exactly spot on for me. I'm really glad they didn't go too fashion-model beautiful with her.

Another thought- Almost everyone is too old. I'd guess it's because they can't have actors do anything remotely sexual when they are under age 18 (which is a good thing) so they simply raised the ages of everyone. For instance, Eddard and Catelyn should be around 35-37 at the very OLDEST. The books make a point about the poor girl children of these families traded to each other like horses to be bred as soon as they are able so as to make binding contracts.

Ah, well. Not a big deal.

I loved the casting. There were a couple of truly beautiful people (whoever is playing Daenerys...) but all in all, the cast was what I expected from an adaptation of one of Martin's books. It's a gritty story, and supermodels don't belong.

I want to goto a dothraki wedding now myself, don't know about the rest of you...

Theon, played by Alfie Allen, is in the following scenes:

• He is on the walkway above the courtyard with Ser Rodrick Cassel. Eddard tell Theon to get the lads saddled up. (one line)
  • Theon is holding Ice and holds on to the sheathe as Eddard unsheathes the sword to kill Will in the beheading scene. (no lines)
  • Theon is beside Eddard as the dead Stag is discovered and speaks to Bran, Robb and Jon in the dire wolf scene (several lines)
  • Theon is standing beside Jon Snow in the second tier when the King arrives. (no lines)
  • Theon is, along with Robb and Jon, present to get a shave with his shirt off (the barber is that scenes the artisan/smith who designed the weapons for the series, btw) (one line)
  • Theon is sitting and drinking beside Robb in the feast hall. (no lines)

So yes, Theon Greyjoy is in the first episode and is present in almost every Winterfell scene actually.

Whoot! Finally, the wait is over! :excited:

Wow, Steel_Wind, you really studied that episode!

I find it a little strange that he was in so many scenes (and is a central figure in the Stark household) but was almost completely glossed over to the point that I barely noticed him. (Again, I thought I saw him in the haircut scene but wasn't entirely sure -- and that's it).

Will be interesting to see if they properly introduce his character in the next episode. I realize he doesn't become a key player until much later, but it would be weird if in the fifth or eighth episode they suddenly focus on a guy who had been living in Winterfell all along, but has barely been mentioned, or even shown.

I never read the books. But, after the first epsiosde, i want to buy the books now. I thought the first episode was great.

it would be weird if in the fifth or eighth episode they suddenly focus on a guy who had been living in Winterfell all along, but has barely been mentioned, or even shown.

No, that would be pretty awesome, really, and unique! If he's there on countless occasions, but in the background, then later on he is shited to the foreground, awesome! Don't think that's ever been done in a TV-show before. Can't think of any.

I've never made it through book 1, but when I watched this first episode it made me feel like: wow, maybe I missed something there. They are back on my to read list for now (I must admit this list is getting quite extensive ;)) I will be following this series, that's for sure. Great atmosphere and settings, interesting characters and so far creditable acting!

Watched it now and loved it. It's been some time since I read the books, but the episode felt very accurate and most things were just like I remembered or imagined them.

Second episode was great as well. I would think that non-fans may think it's a bit slow-moving (my father who hasn't read the books is a little puzzled… "What's the story?" he asked me after he watched the first episode), but I think they are doing a near perfect job of recreating the books.

Cersei is perfect so far. Arya is great for a young child actor. The casting for Joffrey is scarily spot-on, and I hate his guts. I almost feel sorry for the kid who's playing him. People are going to unfairly hate him. Jon Snow is showing some more naivete than I got from the books, which is good. Again, it would have been more effective to have Tyrion be ugly as well as small, but Dinklage is doing a great job so far. The scene where he was hitting Joffrey was excellent.

The weakest parts for me still are the Dothraki (the horse army scenes are not very convincing) and the guy who plays Jaime. He's pretty wooden in my opinion, but the action hasn't really focused on him yet.

I'm usually extremely critical about movies and TV, and this has impressed the hell out of me.

Gawd... if you keep reviewing it like this... I might have to get a new TV-channel, or perhaps it is on a pay to play service? anyone know ?

Gawd… if you keep reviewing it like this… I might have to get a new TV-channel, or perhaps it is on a pay to play service? anyone know ?

As far as I know it's HBO only. They do it that way to get people to buy new subscriptions, and they re-run it many times in a week, as an HBO subscription is actually for several HBO channels. So unless you pirate it (I'm sure it's out there somewhere) you'll have to wait until next year when they start selling the DVDs. It's just the way their business model goes.

Waiting might take a long time, but in some ways it might be better. If you read the books you already know how the story goes. And after watching two separate episodes a week apart, another problem I have with it that I haven't mentioned is that a single hour at a time isn't enough. I wish they had made three 2-hour shows instead of six 1-hour shows.

At least in Norway it's available on Canal+/Canal Digital, starting 4th of May. Don't know if that one is available in Sweden.

Yes, that was already pointed out... but I don't want to pay $80 a month, and a $100 starting fee... just to watch one program... so I am looking for a pay to play somewhere.... appears it is not there though. Anyway as someone mentioned probably just as good to wait for the DVD.. when you can watch it all as a few looong episodes instead :D

$80/mo +$100?!?

Yikes that's expensive. No TV show is worth that much. Get the deluxe HD box set when it comes out and pay less than that.

HBO in Chicago is costing me $15/mo with no "starting fee" (what a joke) and I can cancel without penalty.

Back
Top Bottom