Malevolence - An Old-School First Person RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is an RPG being developed by a studio called Visual Outbreak. Here is a video and some game details.

Malevolence: The Sword of Ahkranox is an RPG for the PC aimed at all those fans of old-school first person RPG gaming.

If you're just having a quick look, here are the key things that make this game what it is:

• The game is an homage to classic RPGs such as Eye of the Beholder, Might & Magic, Dungeon Master, Stonekeep, etc
  • Movement is grid-based and turn-based
  • It is set in an infinite, persistent world (yes, persistent, too!)
  • The world is rich and full of dungeons, crypts, forests, cities, vast oceans and more
  • World is NOT randomly generated, but it IS infinite, so you can share what you find with friends
  • Items, weapons, quests, locations, maps, NPCs, even dialogue are generated by the game
  • Even some graphics such as weapon images are generated procedurally
That being said, the aim of this isn't to make a game that you can play forever, that would just be silly.

What we're making is an RPG that you can play for as long or as little as you want, and always have new places to find.

Best of all, the in-game world is also persistent, so if you find something cool, you can share its location with your friends and they'll be able to find it, too!

Give it a try today! The demo is the full game, and if you decide you want to be able to save your character, then you can buy the game for just $25!
More information.

Last edited:
Infinite and persistent world? Interesting.
Use of pi or fractals for map/loot/mob generation?

If someone says mobs don't respawn, I'll try the demo.

All procedural so I guess there's no overall story?

Backed this at kickstarter. I love procedual worlds with unlimited size similar to Daggerfall or Elite. Also they did a great Kickstarter campaign with lots of video updates. Sure, it's not a prominent designer or so, but the way this guy presented their stuff felt like a friend is building a game for you.

There is Story. They have a story principle they name the celebrity principle or so.
While the characters are basically spread in the world, they know of each other in a way that you know someone like Michael Jackson. It normally takes like X steps until you get there. As in you know someone who works for the school a child goes to whos father is working in a pizza shop where Michael Jacksons bodyguard regularily eats and - you arrived at Michael Jackson himself.

The Game is procedurally generating such networks as far as I understood.

Also - the game is not randomly generated. Don't mix that up with procedural. ;)
You will have exactly the same world as other players. And if you press the "forward" button for a month you will end up in the same place as your friend if he does the same.

Here is their kickstarter campaign. They asked for 6000$ and ended up with 33k
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/malevolence/malevolence-the-infinite-rpg

I got the game downloaded and now I'm slugging through EIGHTEEN updates. Lawdy.

Hehehe: "We're aiming for a release date of December 21, 2012, and things are looking pretty good to hit that date..."

Looks interesting, remember not backing this one because I only backed 2 games at that time (SR:R and Wasteland 2) and wasn't comfortable yet to back unknown projects

I played a demo for this about a year ago. It seemed like it had some potential, but the world was pretty sparse. i.e. no monsters outside of dungeons and very little to interact with. How far has it come since then?

It should be quite the game once they complete adding all the stretch goal expansion content.

The video is from 2011 already, Kickstarter ended mid 2012 so yeah. That the game is in development is not exactly news. ^^

Anyways, the game wasn’t in the news for a long time. So if you ask me I actually prefer this no-news over the 10th news about some reviews. And now I got to run from Mr Potato :p

Anyways, the game wasn’t in the news for a long time. So if you ask me I actually prefer this no-news over the 10th news about some reviews. And now I got to run from Mr Potato :p

I'm a jack of all trade poster who believes in posting news equally.:p

I'll just tell you the usual reply to these type of posts. No one is forcing you to read what I post. Your not the first to say so, and I doubt you will be the last.^^

Last edited:
Yep, shame on them. ;)
But I also don't know what and if you have a definition about what games must be like to be added. You know like "If I set 3 days on an RPGMaker Game and then announce that I will release in in a year, will this game be added to the list" ;)

About the reviews...I guess I'll better post some feedback on the other board. ^^

I checked out the forum out of curiosity. It looks like the community has an Alpha build which has been updated a few times. The game just got greenlit and the developer is pondering if he should put up an early access build. So its still a ways away from finished.

Looks like this has hit early access on steam so I am wondering if anyone has had a chance to take the latest build out for a spin. I guess it has some kind of multiplayer component? Wondering about that too.

Multiplayer will not be in this game until the Expansion. But I guess this will take a few more years. ^^

I took it for a spin for the weekend. I like the vision the developer has and I hope he puts in some kind of main quest. Its really open ended. There are now monsters roaming at night so you can just stand in the doorway of a town or village and level up. I would like there to be more combat options during turn phase other then cast spell or hit creature. Maybe a hard attack or more skills could come in play. The world is huge and still a bit sparse so it needs some love.

At this point it is just about leveling and attaining that better piece of gear. The dungeons are the best part. Its neat to be the first person to discover a dungeon or town but there is much more that they could do with multiplayer similar to Dark souls where you could leave messages for other players. The long loading times are really annoying in this day and age and they occur whenever you change areas or leave dungeon. I will return when it has cooked a bit more like every early access.

Back
Top Bottom