Return To The Underworld - A Paul Neurath RPG

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Paul Neurath the Founder and CEO of OtherSide Entertainment announces his new RPG called Underworld Ascension in this new press release.

RETURN TO THE UNDERWORLD

Games Pioneer Paul Neurath Forms OtherSide Entertainment and Announces its First Game, UNDERWORLD ASCENSIONTM

July 1st, 2014 – Boston, USA – OtherSide Entertainment, a new independent games studio, today announced its formation. Fronted by game pioneer Paul Neurath, OtherSide Entertainment revealed that its first title, Underworld Ascension, will mark the return of the groundbreaking and long fallow Underworld franchise.

Paul Neurath, Founder and CEO of OtherSide Entertainment, is renowned for his creative direction spanning three decades, notably leading the development of such classic franchises as Thief™, System Shock™ and the acclaimed Ultima™ Underworld.

Underworld Ascension marks both the series and Paul Neurath’s return to his RPG roots, with OtherSide Entertainment aiming to innovate and revitalize the fantasy genre in the same way that its predecessor did in 1992. “With Underworld Ascension,” said Neurath, “we are excited to be bringing back the Underworld franchise, making it more vital than ever before.”

The original Underworlds transformed the traditional dungeon crawl into a truly immersive experience. Players felt as if they were actually walking through the great underworld halls; and encountering a living community of underworld dwellers.

Ultima Underworld inspired a generation, and its influence is still seen today in titles as diverse as Deus Ex™, The Elder Scrolls, and BioShock.

OtherSide Entertainment will reveal more details on Underworld Ascension in the months to come. To keep updated, visit our website at www.othersideentertainment.com.

Facebook: /OtherSideEntertainment
Twitter: @OtherSide_games
More information.

Great news!
Hardly played the original Underworld Games due to the language barrier and as they already looked kinda outdated when I first saw them, but would definitely try out a new game with similar gameplay!

I love the old Ultima Underworld games; Arx Fatalis, too -> I hope they can recreate the dungeon feeling.

Underworld 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, very fond memories of that one, so great news indeed :D

I just hope it will be a proper RPG, and not a dumbed down Bioshock'ish "spiritual successor" to UUW.

Here's hoping for an Underworld game with meatier mechanics (I'm looking at you too, Arx Fatalis). Oh, and pretty visuals are pretty :)

NOW!! I want it NOW!! :)

While Ultima7 is my favorite game of all time, Ultima Underworld is a close second.
Paul Neurath was the original founder of Blue Sky Productions (Looking Glass) and the creator and lead designer of Underworld, with the Ultima connection added later when Origin signed a publishing deal. This is major news!

Here's hoping for an Underworld game with meatier mechanics

I really liked the Underworld mechanics... holding the mouse button to power up swings, casting spells by arranging combinations of rune stones, and such. I hope it's not revamped too much.

Underworld 2 is one of my favorite games of all time, very fond memories of that one, so great news indeed :D

I feel the same. :) Really great news.

And they could hire Warren Spector too. I think he left Disney.

So excited for this, although it will probably be 'streamlined' for tablets; can't blame an independent studio for that.
Blue Sky/Looking Glass are legendary, best of luck to Mr. Neurath with his new company ;)

This really lights the murky dungeon lantern in my heart. Wonderful news! Two of my all time absolute favourites, the spirit and style of which has been largely absent in modern gaming for oh so long.

Let's hope to see an innovative interactive engine which really pushes the limits and sees a return to story oriented, highly immersive dungeon crawling. Ahh, the wonders that this type of game can achieve with current technology. We're finally going to get to see it. :) *trying hard not to swoon!*

One question however is what exactly will constitute the setting and lore content, given that it's unlikely that the Ultima trademark and its associated ideas will be involved. I've too many more questions where that came from. I guess we'll hear more about it all as it develops. :)

Now we're talking… Then they could massage Richard Garriott's ego and throw him a few bucks to add Lord British Presents: to the title. Nah, forget that idea... Richard would insist on turning it into another MMO.

Wait, so this isn't about vampires in tight leather?? ;)

I feel the same. :) Really great news.

Yes I believe Junction Point is long gone; though I have a friend or two on LinkedIn who still show it as their current place of employment
When I worked for Warren I more than once heard him praise the experience that was the development of UUW. Sounds like the whole Blue Sky/Looking Glass crew was an all-star, passionate team. It really makes a massive difference when the majority of the team believes in the game and has fun making it. Everyone becomes personally invested, and their work shines because they believe they are part of something greater than themselves. The 'fun vibe' propagates through to the final product every time.
Assembly-line, paint-by-numbers game making is so prevalent in today's industry that the soul is almost completely gone from the bigger titles. The new(ish) business model in gaming is the same as the old business in Hollywood: why make a Juno when you can make a Transformers VIII and make more money and take almost zero risk?
The good news is that there are always those who buck the system and create something truly amazing, fun, exciting, and innovative. I hope Neurath's company can recreate -or expand upon- the positive dynamic the old Looking Glass had. We need some true innovators and creative, assertive fighters back working in the gaming arena.

This is awesome! No game ever blew my mind like UU. That and System Shock and UU2 became my favorite games. I hope Underworld Ascension will have the same atmosphere.

Back
Top Bottom