After Reset - Post-Funding Update #15

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Black Cloud Studios talks about how alignment works for their RPG After Reset.

The Alignment
First and foremost, while most apocalyptic games are primarily adult fiction/entertainment, we are aiming for a very mature setting that doesn't hold back purely for the sake of a weaker ESRB rating. While we intend to reserve a sense of tastefulness (no pun intended) when dealing with sensitive subjects like rape, cannibalism, etc., we won't exclude them or downplay their severity, but rather provide a realistic cause and effect system that simulates reality.

Second, real characters that have their own belief systems, wants, desires, and experiences, are best represented in shades of grey. Real people are not black-and-white. The same sheriff that exists to enforce the law might be tempted to break it in the service a truer or purer justice, but he also might be tempted to take a bribe with a baby on the way and a past-due mortgage. Our goal is not to indoctrinate, but to provide a flexible and realistic system that punishes and rewards players in a way that is logical, one that certainly reflects on the same social systems that we live in, but in an apocalyptic setting.

Third, a character’s alignment is not meant to be static. A good story will always challenge your beliefs, which in turn requires you to demonstrate wisdom in a specific context, and your character (as well as NPCs, companions, etc.) will evolve with you.

Finally, we want all of our players to judge for themselves, and it's hard to do that if your actions are being abstractly labeled by the game as good or evil. Instead, your companions will respond negatively to actions and decisions you make that simply disagree with their own perspectives, and positively if they do agree. There are very few, if any, moral absolutes in the real world, and all of them have to be considered in context. In most cases, acceptable behavior in a society is based off a collaborative agreement rather than logic, the rule of law, or religion.
More information.

Last edited:
Haven't been following this one (yet), but this bit seems like an adult approach that I could appreciate.

I really want to like After Reset however the developer seems to have rubbed many people the wrong way (including many here) which why it appears to be having funding problems. I suspect that this is way too ambitious of a project especially considering the funding but I don't have any issues with most of approaches so hopefully he will continue on an get something completed.

I really like the Altruistic-Egotistic alignment dimension. It's worded so much better than D&Ds Good-Evil.

I'm skeptical about their funding too. Has there been any information about it after the failed Kickstarter?

Thanks!

Though they won't get far with $10k. And I haven't seen anything in their updates that really shows how they will get their necessary ~$1000k. If they sold the prologue for $10, they would still need ~100k buyers. I'm skeptical.

After Reset' graphics artists do better character models and Art Direction wise the whole game looks better than Wasteland 2, IMO. That's why I'm rooting for this one!

Thank you, guys. Skeptical or not, we believe in this game and we put our life time and own resources into this game. Not for sales, marketing or whatnot but to make the game we want to play.

We don't have millions of investments and market/media connections. We are the same common players like you. And that is the reason we really like not to make money on players grief (trash casual product), but on their happiness (awesome rpg). When I launched my furniture business no one believed that one mere man, not from industry, could make a business among federal networks of shops. But I proved them wrong. The same I'd like to prove for game dev. And that would mean, that every mere player (really every one) could not complain about "those games are crap" but to pitch in and create the game he/she likes.

And about "rubbed many people"… Yeah, you are right. I'm not one of the "good guy". I'm pretty rough and straight person. But I didn't mean to hurt or offence someone. Moreover, now we get Jeremy who makes my approach smother.

And I really appreciate all support and attitude of people who believe in our game as well. It means for me much more than money ppl backing. For Dungeon Masters attitude of the players means really a lot.

Thus it is pretty simple: if you like what we are doing - you join the club; if you don't like our approach - you just step aside.

I'd believe in your project if you had enough funds. :)

If you have or will have enough, you of course know better than me.

Back
Top Bottom