Witcher How do I beat this plant??

The Witcher
Ahh, yes, brave Sir Robin :D

@Jabberwocky: Out of curiosity, what character level are/were you when you laid the righteous smack down on those filthy 'plants'?

Last edited:
The main source of pain from those plants, I've found, is the poison thorns they shoot. Like I was saying before, bust out a Quen shield for the journey to and from the melee fight and that's half the battle right there, nullifying those poison projectiles.

Gothic, you leave very little left of the game, and what makes the Witcher unique if you hack out all of the things you mentioned! I found some of the fights quite difficult, like some of the tomb battles late game, and some of the encounters in the fields against those noonwraiths got pretty hairy. All depends on the day/night dynamic too, at night it's far more dangerous than daytime. The only potions that I really used were swallow, cat, and the occasional blizzard. I dont see how anyone could do the larget crypts without Cat

@ GothicGoth.. So if you remove nearly every single component of the game as you suggest, what kind of a game do you have left? An avatar that walks around in pretty scenery? That last post almost sounded trollish, seriously.

Not at all, what is the strong part of the witcher? Choices and character interaction? IMHO that's it, and the story telling. I just get annoyed when I have to click through a pointless combat in there, luckily it is easy. I do love the choices and character interactions a lot, and exploration, puzzles and detective work is okay too, and stuff like Shani's party. Look at the poll on the front page only 1.3% likes the combat best,, and if it is as badly implemented as in TW no need for it at all.

I dont see how anyone could do the larget crypts without Cat
I use a torch, if there is a combat ( in which case Geralt doesn't throw the still lit torch on the ground to allow light for whatever reason he has ) you don't need to see, just click two buttons as described.

I guess youre way better than me then, because I need to be able to maneuver around and stuff. So basically, I need to see what I'm doing, especially if fighting lots of opponents or something like the wraiths that can stun, I need to be able to evade their attacks.

I think the combat's great, we all have our opinions I guess!

@ Gothicness: I think what is baffling us is your saying that combat should be eliminated. So unless I don't understand your expression correctly, you are saying that you would rather TW be an adventure/puzzle game like Broken Sword or Myst. - You have choices and consequences, but that's essentially the only control you have over your character.
If you wish for the game to be that fundementally different from what it currently is, I can't imagine you having the patience to play it all the way through.

While we're all wondering about Gothic's approach to combat, I'd like to ask him(or her, of course but I think it's 'him', isn't it GothicGothicness?--if not apologies) to give an example of the kind of combat s/he'd prefer to see in TW, or of a game that has the best combat...

--well I suppose it could be Gothic, huh? :p

If that's the case and it is Gothic style combat--I can't say as I found it any harder or more realistic or whatever than The Witcher's--it was different and it was good, but I don't know that I see it as better than watching/being Geralt the Swordmaster. :)

Last edited:
Great, lots of disagreements and we have a debate :) I am putting my opinion here, and I can understand you guys disagree. I can also not understand what there is to like about the combat system.

something like the wraiths that can stun, I need to be able to evade their attacks.
I was stunned by a wraith a few times, but they ussually just die with one group combat series, didn't have a problem with it.

You have choices and consequences, but that's essentially the only control you have over your character. I can't imagine you having the patience to play it all the way through.

Wouldn't it require less patience without all the boring combat? or am I missing something?

to give an example of the kind of combat s/he'd prefer to see in TW, or of a game that has the best combat...

--well I suppose it could be Gothic, huh?

Gothic 1, yes from a combat perspective I enjoyed it more than TW, while not an RPG I liked the combat in beyond good and evil, or zelda, or my favourite action RPG Tales of Eternia. There are painfully few action RPG's with good combat though, I kind of prefer turn-based, or with a party so you have some strategy. Fable, or Ultima 9, diablo whatever you name it,,, they are still all better than TW's combat system though, at least they have some excitement in them. The main reason I am angry at TW's combat is it had a lot of potential, but they messed it up completely, by having those major flaws I mentioned. So did the development system,,, I mean I got enough bronze talent to take every skill.. so what does my choice matter? as far as silver talents go it is a really easy choice which skills to pick. At the later part in the game, I didn't even bother to distribute my silver or gold talents.. the game is already too easy. I can not imagine anyone having a problem with playing through it? did you guys used the trick I mentioned? also the inventory system, you can carry 9 more big horns and a huge sword? but not one more flower petal? someone said the extreme limit is realistic, but what is realistic about that? I didn't bother with inventory or buying at all, it is just a painful process of throwing away and picking up stuff you'll never need. I do think the combat serves the function of making you feel powerful and you can watch a lot of cool moves though...... but I mean you get tired of it! No offense taken magerette even no need for that political correctness I am not easy to offend :)

How potent potions and signs are vs witcher/steel sword style combat effectiveness is what I saw as the main option for building Geralt differently. You can build him into mainly a caster and potion swigger and have him plunk away with non-witcher style weapons when he does have to engage in melee, or go full melee w/ some sign and potion enhancements. I wonder if anyone's really went the sign/potion route tho!

I think that a state of "unreconcilable differences" about Witcher exist between GothicGothicness and majority of other posters in this thread. Can we be reconciled? And do we really need to?

I would actually just like to give GothicGothicness my support in this debate. A lot of what her (and it is her, isn't it GG?) says and argues I can agree with. The Witcher is not about combat, but about the story, great quests like Shani's Party and the different characters that Geralt meet.
The great thing though is that combat is very limited in The Witcher. I think The Witcher is the only RPG I've played where combat plays such an unsignificant part. They could have removed it entirely, though you can't create a game where Geralt is the main character without having combat, because that doesn't relate to the character Sapkowski has created.
The Witcher is a balanced game. It revolves around Geralt as a main character, as a person. It doens't revolve around a gameplay element like combat or puzzles. The key element is Geralt and like any other person he is a multi-facetted person. So there's a bit of combat, there's a bit of dialogue, there's a bit of this and a bit of that.
Though I do not agree with GG that the combat system in The Witcher is flawed. I found it great, but that is perhaps also only because of the low amount of combat. High amounts of combat in any game ruins the combat system for me. It ruins the game.

But if you take out combat, then you also effectively remove character development, and in the end you end up with one of those "pick-your-own-path" children books (sorry, I don't know the actual name).

Or, to put it differently: an action movie might have a great action sequence or two, and crappy everything else, but it'll probably be better received than a movie which has action sequences for 1.5 hours.

Or, to put it differently: an action movie might have a great action sequence or two, and crappy everything else, but it'll probably be better received than a movie which has action sequences for 1.5 hours.

Have to disagree with you here VPeric.... A bunch of recently released (and well received by adolescent audience) action movies are nothing but action sequences!

Asbjoern - I tend to agree. Althrough I don't mind a bit of combat I, (very) personnaly, would be happy with RPG with without any as long as character development and gameplay is excting enough.

Asbjoern - I tend to agree. Althrough I don't mind a bit of combat I, (very) personnaly, would be happy with RPG with without any as long as character development and gameplay is excting enough.

OO yes, That's the problem, Character development is a lot of fun ( just like the poll also shows ) and character development in TW is ( almost ) only about combat! So if you remove combat you also remove the character development. But as noted in my point, the character "development" system is nearly? pointless you will get enough bronze talent to pick every bronze skill! and as long as you max the aard sign and attributes, and follow the tricks mentioned, the game will be such a breeze that nothing matter anymore ( thus the character development system also becomes useless ) When I level up I want to FEEL YES I got new points to place on something to become better ( and maybe be able to win that combat I couldn't before, pick that lock I was unable to, fix that piece of machinery,,,seduce that guy or whatever ) in TW my thinking is just... ooo no another level... so what who cares? I don't need to distrubete the points and make the combat even more boring and easy! AND THIS IS ON HARD DIFFICULTY. The idea is not bad, if they fixed the system. Give fewer bronze talents and make the choices balanced, make the combat something else instead of mindless clicking? can anyone tell me about the point with the timing? if you get this timing system once you'll never miss a full series timing again! and it is always the same no matter against which enemies etc etc etc. The reason I want to remove those elements are because they are so poorly implemented. Luckily as Asbjoern said it is still a small part of the game,,,, and inventory management and the other things I suggest they remove you can just ignore completely. I can just imagine what a great game TW could have been if these were great gameplay mechanics instead of bothersome tasks.

Let's face facts GG: you seems to like "hack and slash" more than a true to form RPG and there is nothing wrong with that. That's why I have mentioned "unreconcilable differences" before: what you call "bothersome tasks" I call "part of the gameplay". The same story with Bronze Talents: there are indeed plently of them but Bronze Talents just set your charater on developmental path and are the beginning and not the end of it. Silver and Gold - that's what really counts and you don't get them as freely as you do Bronze.
As for levelling - I, personnaly, was looking forward to my next level so I could get a new and more effective sword combo or an upgrade to my Aard or Quen signs! Another case of "each to it's own"!

Last edited:
I really hate hack and slash, they are very repetetive and boring, whatever gave you that idea?, that I ranked them above TW just show how much I dislike it's combat system. I, personnaly, was looking forward to my next level so I could get a new and more effective sword combo or an upgrade to my Aard or Quen signs! to use for what? :p Anyway, if you guys like the battle system and think it is great, I think we are too far away from an agreement. I will just have to develop a game myself and prove to you guys how much greater it can be :) It is a deal OK ?

thanks, I will personally see to learning it :) D.S. Did you notice I quoted the post? I know how to spell it!

Last edited:
I wait with baited breath

I already developed some games, and I was at larian for some time too. Give me time though, to make a game is really time consuming, and don't expect the excellent music, and graphics from TW, but I am trying my best! If you don't have the most beautiful graphics or music, you have to focus on gameplay and story instead!!!

in that case you... Then you don't know how to quote. .
and you are right I can never learn to quote properly,,, but if you read you can see I just copied his text :p

Back
Top Bottom