Eador: Master of the Broken World - Review @ Space Sector

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
Space Sector has finally posted their review for Eador: Master of the Broken World. As they say better late then never.

The Good:

- Integrates strategy and rpg elements into an intriguing campaign and story
- Numerous endings and game length that could keep you busy for hundreds of hours
- Tactical combat is in-depth and well-balanced
- Unit development is meaningful and their abilities introduce interesting tactical choices
- Karma system that tracks every action you take and a world that reacts to it

The Bad:

- Even hardcore strategy gamers will find the campaign repetitive
- Higher level schematics take forever to build due to seemingly endless prerequisites
- Random events can sometimes be a bit too unforgiving for a game this long
- Too much information is hidden from the player unnecessarily. Frequent reloads almost seem required/expected.
- Questionable enemy AI at times makes you feel like the environment and neutral enemies are the larger threat

More information.

I started Eador : MotBW 3 months ago and I'm nowhere near one end of my campaign... so I'm glad to see I'm not alone :)

Those kind of "late" reviews are very interesting IMO, because of games which have been patched since release.
Eador v1.1.3 is really better than Eador v1.0

The good and the bad are exactly how I see it.

-Even hardcore strategy gamers will find the campaign repetitive
is for me the hardest part of the game.

The game is great indeed, but I agree the campaign is repetitive. I'm on shard 35 or so and masters stopped saying anything like 10 shards ago. The game has 9 endings I believe, probably I was supposed to do something so the campaign ended then. Right now I'm just finishing the other masters that don't like me.

It's still a very fun game, each shard with its different characteristics makes you play one way or another, select one hero type or another, concentrate on one strategy or another. I like that so I keep playing having fun, and maybe someday after winning one of those shards, the game will say "you won!" and kick me out to the command prompt (sorry, just remembered how one of the Buck Rogers Gold Box games ended).

I bought the game and I'm not sure that I'd call myself hardcore but I do find the combat boring and repetitive to the point of not even wanting to play after the first few battles.

Maybe it opens up some once you get going but I can't seem to even get going.

I'm sure I'll give it another, more serious go at some point. I bought so many games during this steam summer sale that it's impossible to play them all immediately, and with FFXIV about to kick off (mmorpg obsession resuming) all other gaming is about to come to a halt.

I don't find the important fights to be boring and repetitive. But what does get really tedious is when your clearing out the garrisons of enemy players, each of which has the exact same giant group of defenders as you cleared out last time. Those fights often take a long time, and you usually can't use auto combat without taking unacceptable losses that you otherwise wouldn't take.

I bought the game and I'm not sure that I'd call myself hardcore but I do find the combat boring and repetitive to the point of not even wanting to play after the first few battles.

Maybe it opens up some once you get going but I can't seem to even get going.

I'm sure I'll give it another, more serious go at some point. I bought so many games during this steam summer sale that it's impossible to play them all immediately, and with FFXIV about to kick off (mmorpg obsession resuming) all other gaming is about to come to a halt.

I find the game to be highly addicting, It's got that "one more turn" feeling more than any game I can remember since HoMM3...

I've logged around 200hrs, although some of that is AFK. Still by far the highest number I have on steam though, more than double of what Skyrim has. It was great to interject a little bit of Shadowrun Returns into the middle of that, beacuse it does get kind of repetitive, in the way most grand strategy games does (Total War, HoMM etc.). But just do something else for a while and then it'll lure you right back...

Long, repetitive, and tedious strategy game with tactical battles? Somehow this fell off my radar. ;)

But seriously, I should get this. Looks like fun!

EDIT: No reviews on Amazon. Only available as an import. Bad signs…

Also, does this come with a comprehensive printed manual?

I played the first Eador game and the review and everyone's comments sound exactly the same for the new version.

What are the differences in the new version from the first game?

I played the first Eador game and the review and everyone's comments sound exactly the same for the new version.

What are the differences in the new version from the first game?

As far as I know, it's pretty much a rewrite of the original game, with better graphics, UI, etc. I only played the first one for a bit since it came free with the pre-purchase of the new one so I never got too far to say if it's the same in all ways, but the tutorial shard is the same.

There are differences but they are subtle. More what you'd expect from a patch then a sequel.

Very good game, spent many hours on this.

The graphic update alone makes it so much better then the original. They are planning on updating more AFAIK.

So no printed manual? Or next to nothing?

Not sure you need it....it has a good tutorial. I think there may be a pdf, I never read manuals though unless I have too.

If you buy it from Gog.com there is a pdf with it for a manual. Obviously not printed heh.

Dude the game is in english, I own it, it comes with a english pdf...it is on GOG.com...no russian pop ups at all.

Back
Top Bottom