Demon's Souls

How is it a RPG at all?

Its an Action RPG, like Diablo and boarderlands, there the main focus is on the combat, but have seval RPG elements.

The RPG element in Demon Soul is Stats and Equipment. You raise your Stats by killing demons and collect their soul's. The souls can then be traded fore ability scores like strength, magic etc. I think there are 10 difrend abilitys, each improve you in its own way.

You can also find og buy new weapons, armor or magical rings, further you can get your weapons enchanted, by the black smith. and if your magic is high enough you can learn spells.

Its way more an RPG that Hell Gate: London was, and to some point Diablo 2 was.

Well he is indeed funny, but not the smartest lad around. :D

1st I did not get killed by the Dragon, as unless you are deaf or play whitout no sound, you can hear it comming.

2nd, I killed the Dragon, shooeted it down whit a bow, took only 150 arrows :D

Well, Phonix, your enthusiasm has convinced me to give it another go this weekend :)

Phonix, your attrocious English is getting better all the time. Your tagline applogizes for your lack of skill, but your English is WAY better than my Danish :) Your first few posts were really difficult to follow, but it's getting easier.

Demon's Souls sounds like a good game to pick up when the current set of real crpgs gets boring. I want to play Divinity 2, Torchlight, and Venetica first but I might give this game a go eventually.

Uhh thanks I guess, but I think it’s because that then im home I run it through Word Perfect, before I post, then im at work and do some reading in my break, im on a work computer that don’t got such things.

On topic, Demon Soul is not a Click Fest like Diablo, the combat is more slow, it often you against one or two opponents, and its more often a question about dodger, parry and block attacks, to win a fight.

The game first open up after you have defeated the first boss, then you have don that you can enter other “worlds” and begin to level up.

How is Borderlands a RPG? lol I have Borderlands and I would not consider it an RPG of any kind.

How is Borderlands a RPG? lol I have Borderlands and I would not consider it an RPG of any kind.

Well, some would, hence the reason it just has been reviewed on this very site ;)

Call of Duty World at War is an RPG then because it has levels and perks? Anyway, to each their own I supose. :)

Eurogamer's Kristan Reed writes about Demon's Souls with much praise. To the extent of it possibly being one of the landmark games of the decade.

Even 50 hours in, I'm not done yet. Having become slightly less rubbish at the game and levelled up to a semi-acceptable rank, I'm starting to roam around in body form more often than before, and experiencing the joys of Black Phantoms - other players forcing themselves into my world in order to battle me and bring themselves back to life in their own game. Brilliantly, not all of them are here to grief, either, with some helping me clear entire sections before bowing and making their exit. Blue Phantoms, meanwhile, introduce a superb co-op element.

The fact I'm still not done with Demon's Souls, and the fact that so many people seem happy to play the game through over and over again, demonstrates the quality of the core gameplay. Far from making the game predictable, repetition reveals more layers and, more importantly, ensures you get better.

The question for many Demon's Souls addicts now is whether this uniform critical appreciation will eventually secure a European release, but with region-free gaming making its non-appearance less of an issue there's every chance that prospective publishers will assume its niche audience has long since imported it. In other words, if you're one of those people who has held out on buying it so far, don't wait: there really is no excuse not to get one of the landmark games of the generation, if not the decade.

It won't be an easy ride, but then by the end of it you'll be glad that it wasn't.​

Last edited:
yeah I also saw that.... which really made me wounder about this game.... it acctually sounds really cool.... just for PS3 though ? and I don't see it as having a good story or anything... so it is out of my list...

The story is likely missed by the majority who play the game, however some segments of the game make real good sense and pave the way for what I believe as a superb storyline. It's more like having saved a book from a fire, and all you get is glimpses however with a bit of imagination you are able to piece the fragments together and form a great story.

The game itself is awesome and very worthy of the multitude of awards it has received so far simply due to the fact that they have truly nailed down how an action rpg should be played, the combat mechanisms are great whilst having a total unforgiving approach. Once you start the game you have no idea whats really going on, the intro is great but after that you are thrown in a brief tutorial and afterwards you are thrown into the wolves with no hand holding along the way.

Ok, so I played this some more.

I have to acknowledge, it's pretty damn fantastic ;)

It took me the longest time "getting it" - but I think what I like most about it, is that every single thing in the game has been given thought. There's nothing - and I mean NOTHING - superfluous in there.

The more you play, the more it all makes sense.

In the old days, this might not have been such an achievement - because back then we were expecting developers to care about the, pun intended, SOUL of the game.

These days developers are wrapped up in insane budgets and responsibilities - they've more or less completely forgotten what made games truly special, and not just a well produced checklist of popular features.

These developers DIDN'T forget.

Go get a PS3, and then go get this game. Prepare to have the game humiliate you over and over, because you'll be coming back for more until you wear out and need to rest - only to have the cycle start anew.

You have been warned.

Well I finally broke down and got a PS3 this week. I even managed to get an original 60GB version, with hardware compatibility for PS1/PS2 games.

Demon's Souls is high on my list, although the $60 price tag is a bit hard for me to swallow.

I didn't realize until recently that DS was developed by From Software. That alone is reason enough for me to give it a chance. I used to be a big fan of their King's Field games back in the PS1 days, and DS is apparently a sort of spiritual successor to those games.

Back
Top Bottom