BioWare - Under the Horns Video

Couchpotato

Part-Time News-bot
His depiction of the game fits a game that I've never played. In ME, I wasnt Sheppard.
Sheppard was just a name conveniently given to an avatar to part it from others.
The only decisions that matter in a game affect gameplay, not story.

Besides, Bioware are seasoned enough not to make those companions not enough dependent. They are trustworthy to one hundred per cent most of the time.
You can order them to death by moving them to a point they are going to be blasted by gun shots, they do not care.
They shall know no fear.

As long as developpers do not reintroduce mechanics on the chain of commandment (and developp themselves), what this guy depicted do not exist. You do not have to "trust" your companions because they are one hundred per cent trustworthy, they wont fail you.

Is it me, or did the character's voice just sound forced and unnatural? It sound like the kind of voice-over an amateur would do when trying to voice act using a different voice than his own. Just sounded wrong imo.

Yeah, for some reason he adopted a tone of voice he is not really comfortable with and his lines sound forced and unnatural.

Yeah, for some reason he adopted a tone of voice he is not really comfortable with and his lines sound forced and unnatural.

Well in DA2 that seem to be the complete game. Forced, not that comfortable and unnatural at times.

:mwahaha:

Is it me, or did the character's voice just sound forced and unnatural? It sound like the kind of voice-over an amateur would do when trying to voice act using a different voice than his own. Just sounded wrong imo.

I think it's the way he needs to contort his face to make the voice that makes it seem unnatural. Obviously you won't see him in game.

I think in game with the character it will look and sound fine.

I've closed my eyes when he was doing his lines and it didn't help at all...

I didn't even know he was voicing a character in Dragon Age: Inquisition. I didn't like his other role as Vega all that much in ME 3. I barely used him on any missions.:-/

Well, I didn't look at the video either but just listened and well...

The 'super-tough dude of the outfit' is as cliché as hell but it can still work, but I wasn't getting a good vibe here (not funny, not charismatic, not funny + negatively charismatic as with Oghren).

Let's just say I hope this video is not representative of the final character and his dialog.

Vega, in fact the voice actor did a great job both in ME3 and in Mass Effect cartoon. That NPC was a complete disaster, but not because of the actor. It's EA's lazy and stupid script that ruined him. He wasn't cut out DLC like Javik for one sole reason. Noone would buy that crap.

Yeah this is not an actor I would've chosen for a renegade Quinari warrior. And wtf is with that accent? He sounds like he's doing a bad Sean Connery impression. James Bond indeed.

I think they should've gone with someone with a deep or bellowing voice. Someone who can sound intimidating, if not monstruous.

I don't mind the voice so much as that…. terrible…. dialogue.

"Weird-ass poison."

Very much like DA2 dialogue it seems. Contemporary youngster slang in my medieval fantasy. No thank you, Bioware.

Yeah this is not an actor I would've chosen for a renegade Quinari warrior. And wtf is with that accent? He sounds like he's doing a bad Sean Connery impression. James Bond indeed.

Explanations with spoilers about Iron Bull. They are freely available in his character profile on the official website but who knows some people might not want to know these.

First, Iron Bull is not a renegade Qunari warrior, he's pretty loyal to the Qun.
Second, Iron Bull is from Par Vollen, they can have any accent that they want to.
Third, I think the Sean Connery/James Bond thing was directed, the guy role in the Qun is that of a spy.

A talk about accents - in a goddamned fantasy game?!
I bet someone will come soon and say Miranda sucks as she sounds too aussie in ME. So someone kill me please.

I think they should've gone with someone with a deep or bellowing voice. Someone who can sound intimidating, if not monstruous.

Brian Blessed would have been perfect :biggrin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YP11L9jRW94

That accent's not Sean Connery, not even a failed imitation. No idea what the accent is supposed to be, probably 'vaguely foreign', as understood by Prinze or whoever directs his voice acting. To me it just sounds 'off' (not fitting character description), but hey, maybe it's better in the game.

That doesn't mean he wasn't meant for female gamers. ;)

Explanations with spoilers about Iron Bull. They are freely available in his character profile on the official website but who knows some people might not want to know these.

First, Iron Bull is not a renegade Qunari warrior, he's pretty loyal to the Qun.
Second, Iron Bull is from Par Vollen, they can have any accent that they want to.
Third, I think the Sean Connery/James Bond thing was directed, the guy role in the Qun is that of a spy.

The info in the character profile contradicts what Prinze says about him being the opposite of Qunari we've seen before / a "ronin warrior" who is doing his own thing until he finds a cause worth fighting for. And also in the characters trailer Iron Bull was described as a "Qunari mercenary strong enough to overcome anything except the life he left behind"… Which I had interpreted as meaning he no longer follows the Qun, though it doesn't have to… Of course a mercenary is not the same thing as a spy.. unless the player isn't supposed to know he's a spy, in which case somebody spilled the beans. Either the info on the official website is outdated or Bioware hasn't been doing a good job of informing their actors or marketing people important details about the character.

I don't mind the voice so much as that…. terrible…. dialogue.

"Weird-ass poison."

Very much like DA2 dialogue it seems. Contemporary youngster slang in my medieval fantasy. No thank you, Bioware.

An excellent point. Don't think any of us want the characters to speak in Middle English nor even Early Modern English, but modern slang is very jarring / immersion breaking.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom